Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/07/2018, 10:35 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

Anyone try the KH Guardian Alkalinity Monitor yet

How does this compare to the apex Trident version thats coming out? Would you trust this over Apex?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 10:44 PM   #2
Jyetman
Registered Member

The Coralvue KH unit sure looks more appealing then the Apex Trident. Why would I want to spend over $1000 to upgrade my apex classic to have the trident?

Unread 05/08/2018, 09:53 AM   #3
soulpatch
Registered Member

If you are talking monitor only then only benefit of Trident is looking at Ca and Mag as opposed to just Alk. If you arent going to action off of it then that is your tossup you need to answer first if you want only 1 measurement or multiple.

Cost for taking those measurements and how it is done needs accounted for but until the Trident comes out it is not possible to directly compare.

As for the upgrade you only need a new head unit for the Apex which is around $300. Unit is supposed to have its own power supply so no need for 1 link as was originally reported though if you have 1link you can join it similar to how DOS connects with it.

If nothing else I am awaiting the release of the Trident to see if prices drop more on other units. I do calcium reactor so not too concerned about actioning off of the unit but in the future I might get comfortable with the unit dosing something and could get a DOS or such to handle that as needed.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
If you are talking monitor only then only benefit of Trident is looking at Ca and Mag as opposed to just Alk. If you arent going to action off of it then that is your tossup you need to answer first if you want only 1 measurement or multiple.

Cost for taking those measurements and how it is done needs accounted for but until the Trident comes out it is not possible to directly compare.

As for the upgrade you only need a new head unit for the Apex which is around $300. Unit is supposed to have its own power supply so no need for 1 link as was originally reported though if you have 1link you can join it similar to how DOS connects with it.

If nothing else I am awaiting the release of the Trident to see if prices drop more on other units. I do calcium reactor so not too concerned about actioning off of the unit but in the future I might get comfortable with the unit dosing something and could get a DOS or such to handle that as needed.
Good info thanks. Do you know like the coralvue does the trident dump the waste water with regents back into the tank? Even though they say its harmless this still scares me.

Unread 05/08/2018, 10:02 AM   #5
soulpatch
Registered Member

no one knows the process for the trident in how it cleans or disposes of items at this point.

Unread 05/08/2018, 10:24 AM   #6
mako61
Registered Member

Im pretty sure you need a waste water container for the trident. I dont think it dumps it back.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 10:37 AM   #7
soulpatch
Registered Member

I dont think it does either but they have yet to confirm. They have also not stated the method in which they wash the vial or purge SW in the line to ensure fresh samples in a clean untainted vial.

Unread 05/08/2018, 10:57 AM   #8
hijinks
Registered Member

Let me start by saying I'm a tech person.

I watched the youtube video on the KH Guardian from coralvue and I'd even be confused setting it up. They put zero thought into end user experience of this thing.

I'd be super worried they just rushed it out the door to beat Neptune to market.

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijinks View Post
Let me start by saying I'm a tech person.

I watched the youtube video on the KH Guardian from coralvue and I'd even be confused setting it up. They put zero thought into end user experience of this thing.

I'd be super worried they just rushed it out the door to beat Neptune to market.
That's my feeling too it seems the trident is being more carefully thought through. It concerns me greatly purging and flushing the tests back into the display tank may not be harmful YET. Like dosing anything overtime it builds up you would think this holds true for the regents? Maybe not harmful to some species but what about other types some corals are extremely sensitive.

Tags
apex, coralvue khg, trident