Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2005, 09:18 AM   #101
xtrstangx
Premium Member

Nice idea on when to do the topoff... Did you think of that before it was setup or after? Any more pictures/closeups of the tank?

xtrstangx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2005, 11:48 AM   #102
ninjafish
Registered Member

Thanks. My initial plan was to split the topoff between two times, one in the early am and one in the afternoon - that way there would be less of a noticeable drop in water level. Unfortunately, the timer on the pump only allows one time to be set so I figured that I would go with the afternoon time because that is when I want the tank to look its best.
By the way, did you meet your "water in" deadline?

- Chad

Current Tank Info: New project in the works
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2005, 11:54 AM   #103
ninjafish
Registered Member

I will take some more pictures when I get back to work. I need to replace a couple of my coral frags (orange monti caps and pulsing xenia) because I accidentaly burned them last weekend. I put my 10k bulb back in because my 20k was defective and I was waiting for a replacement. Just prior to that I also added a small bag of carbon to the eheim. The increased par of the bulb and the increased clarity of the water proved to be TOO much! No matter how long I've been doing this, I still make a rookie mistake now and then .
The 20k bulb is back in and everything seems a lot happier. I will replace the bleached frags and add a couple heads of a nice frogspawn that I have. I think that it will look awesome moving in the current.

- Chad

Unread 05/15/2005, 03:52 PM   #104
bennerkla
Registered Member

Chad-
Awesome tank!!! When I started this hobby, I set up a 75 gallon tank which I love...

Although it is only a FOWLR, I will add corals soon, which is why I bought my 260 PC bulbs. I have a blue tang, yellow tang, and a clownfish. couple hermits.

Upon reading THIS THREAD, however, the nano bug bit me pretty darn hard. This is what I came up with...

I was planning on using this AGA tank and that small 50 watt heater for my room. I need to make it all one system with no sump because my room is pretty small. This is what I came up with for filtration...

It is an Aqua Clear Mini, and once I get it cleaned up and running a sponge and carbon should it be sufficient?

I was planning on doing 1 gallon water changes every week. I am having trouble finding a powerhead that will be good for this small of a tank.

I'll take sand and LR from my main tank (notice the white rock in my main tank? that is my nano rocks).

As for lighting...

Bought these off eBay for 50 bucks. 36 watts in a 5.5 gallon seemed pretty good for some LPS corals. I don't think I want any fish in my nano, maybe a goby or something along those lines.

What do you think? I'd love to know your opinion. You seem very knowledgable and I've been with this thread for a looong time.

Thanks bro.

-Ben

bennerkla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2005, 05:46 PM   #105
ninjafish
Registered Member

Ben,
Thanks bud but I'm probably not as knowledgable as you think . I think you've got the ingrediants for a sweet nano setup - I really like your lights and it sounds like you got a sweet deal. The only thing that I wish those manufacturers would do is put each of the two bulbs on its own power supply, that way you could do dusk/dawn with only one hood. I think your filtration looks good but I agree that you should try and get some more circulation. If you can't find a powerhead with the right output you could always try a closed loop (maybe with a scwd). I would take a look at these guys though:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...de=Tunze_pumps

Anyways, looking forward to seeing how it all comes together for you. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Cheers,

- Chad

Unread 05/15/2005, 05:52 PM   #106
Jordan55
Premium Member

I have a aquaclear mini on my 5.5 gallon. I think the top power makes my sand go everywhere.... you actually have to deacrease the power. It's fine IMO.

Current Tank Info: None
Jordan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2005, 06:41 PM   #107
ninjafish
Registered Member

I don't want to hijack my own thread but if Justin says it works I would believe him because he has the experience using one. However, unless I am mistaken, that filter on full power will give you 100gph. On a 5gal this meets the minimum 20x turnover recomendation but I wouldn't ever run a tank with the minimum. My 20gal had 40x turnover and this 2gal has 50plus'x turnover. You should never sacrifice "circulation" because of a "velocity" or "direction" problem.
- Chad

Unread 05/15/2005, 06:43 PM   #108
Jordan55
Premium Member

True.... I do not want to hijack your thread either.... but I have been following it and just spotted something I knew. If you have any more questions PM me.

You getting more pictures tommorow of the cube?

Current Tank Info: None
Jordan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2005, 06:50 PM   #109
ninjafish
Registered Member

Sounds good. I will probably get a picture on Tuesday. I am going to take a rock out of the tank tomorrow and bring it home to attach the frogspawn frag to. I will be using that frag putty stuff to mount it and because it smells so bad, I worry about what chemicals it might give off while it cures. I feel more comfortable letting it set in my home tank with the larger water quantity than in this little one. By tuesday it should be ready to shoot.

- Chad

Unread 05/15/2005, 07:24 PM   #110
bennerkla
Registered Member

Hey Jordan, I'm in high school in columbus as well. Where are you specifically?

Unread 05/15/2005, 07:42 PM   #111
Mattw2190
Registered Member

What kind of growth are you getting out of those zoos in such a small environment? What kind of growth were you getting when you had them under pc? I want to setup a 5 1/2 gallon tank just for my zoanthids, but I wanted to know how yours were growing before I bought lighting. Do you know about how many polyps yours are putting on each week?
These are my zoanthids

Mattw2190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2005, 07:53 PM   #112
ninjafish
Registered Member

First off, those are some sweet zoos!
The 13w pc was not sufficient light. I don't know if they were still multiplying or not but they slowly lost their color. I would say that the 10k 70mh was too much light but my zoos seem to like my 20k mh. To tell you the truth I haven't been as concerned with growth speed because in a 2gal tank, I am going to run out of realestate fast enough. Now that you ask though I will keep track and see what my weekly growth is. Good question Matt.

Unread 05/15/2005, 08:19 PM   #113
bennerkla
Registered Member

BTW, I love Canada, we own an island in Georgian Bay. Here is a pic of me standing at the back of our island overlooking the open channel...

Unread 05/15/2005, 08:30 PM   #114
ninjafish
Registered Member

That's cool Ben. But it kind of reminds me of a Braveheart dialogue:

William Wallace: That's my friend, Irishman. And the answer to your question is yes - if you fight for me, you get to kill the English.

Stephen: Excellent! Stephen is my name. I'm the most wanted man on my island. Except I'm not on my island of course. More's the pity.

Hamish: Your island? You mean Ireland.

Stephen: Yeah. It's mine.

Hamish: You're a madman.

Stephen: (laughs) I've come to the right place then.

Unread 05/15/2005, 08:32 PM   #115
bennerkla
Registered Member

lol.

Unread 05/15/2005, 08:38 PM   #116
xtrstangx
Premium Member

Nope, no water in the tank. Since I decided to change the location of the tank, I have to wire 2 new circuits for it (its overkill). Theres more info and such in my thread if you haven't seen it yet:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=583948

xtrstangx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2005, 08:58 PM   #117
bennerkla
Registered Member

BTW i DO own the island.......

Unread 05/16/2005, 01:11 PM   #118
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

ninjafish, awesome nano!

What type of water movement do you have in the nano and how did you achieve that?

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon FOWLR (H&S 200a-1260 , panworld 50px-x, 2x Vortech w/ WWD)
thrlride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2005, 01:22 PM   #119
bennerkla
Registered Member

Read the first pages, he describes everything.

Unread 05/16/2005, 01:31 PM   #120
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

That's no fun. A direct answer is so much easier.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon FOWLR (H&S 200a-1260 , panworld 50px-x, 2x Vortech w/ WWD)
thrlride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2005, 03:11 PM   #121
ninjafish
Registered Member

A gypsy I met one night offered me magical, perpetual water movement in exchange for my soul.
... it has been working pretty good so far.

(how's that?)

- Chad

Unread 05/16/2005, 05:52 PM   #122
bennerkla
Registered Member

Wouldn't creatures fall into the tubing?I'm assuming it has mesh-like substance over it but wouldn't the suction be great?

Unread 05/16/2005, 06:01 PM   #123
ninjafish
Registered Member

I don't know if this picture will work or not, but I am using a valve screen kind of like this one:

Because there is such a large surface area, there isn't really very much suction at any one spot. A creature would have to block all of it in order to cause any serious suction. Infact, once in a while my sexy shrimps hang out on it.

- Chad

Unread 05/16/2005, 06:37 PM   #124
hingethunder
Registered Member

Sweet tank bro! I love the fact that it just looks like a plain glass box! I've gotta do somethin' like that someday. Thanks for the inspiration!

-Hinge

Current Tank Info: 200 Gallon DIY multi-tank system with four show tanks and 55 Gallon sump
hingethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2005, 08:06 PM   #125
ninjafish
Registered Member

Thanks man, shoot me a PM if you ever do, i'd love to see it.
Is Hinge your real name? I like it.

- Chad