Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/13/2012, 12:18 PM   #1
MTWiley
Registered Member

What do I need to hook up my Apex to my AI Nano/Sols?

I've got an Apex unit and I have an AI Nano right now on my BC29 right now and I'd like to get them to work together. In a month or two I'll be moving the Apex 4 to my SolanaXL67 and the AI Nano to my NC12.

I've got some DIY LEDs that I've been putting together but they've turned into a much larger project than I originally thought because I have a habit of overthinking and overcomplicating things. I'm debating on picking up a couple of AI Sols instead to light my Solana XL 67 but I want to see how they'd work with the Apex. For now I have the AI Nano and the Apex so I'd like to hook them up and get a light schedule going. What do I need to get them connected? I've been looking aroung and the only thing I can find is an adapter for the VDM module which would mean adding another $100 to the budget which if I can avoid I'd like to. Do I need the VDM in order to control the AIs or is there some way that I could hook the nano/sols up to the apex base unit? If I have to buy the VDM I might just pickup the AI Controller and save myself the extra money, but I wanted to check here first and see if someone else knew something that I didn't.

MTWiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2012, 12:34 PM   #2
L8ndeb
Registered Reef Keeper

You need the VDM.

Current Tank Info: Custom 200 gal reef cube with a 20 gal sump, 2 AI SOL LED Fixtures, Super Reef Octopus skimmer, custom made calcium reactor, Apex Lite controller with various modules.
L8ndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2012, 01:01 PM   #3
MTWiley
Registered Member

Okay, thanks for the info.

Old 02/13/2012, 01:18 PM   #4
MTWiley
Registered Member

I like the idea of having all of my systems tied together and running them all off the Apex, but I want to make sure that the VDM to AI connection would support all of the same features that the official AI controller has:

- Auto mode provides an automated sunrise/sunset simulation with the ability to simulate the lunar cycle. The intensity of both white and blue, day and night may be set. By enabling the lunar cycle, the controller automatically varies the moonlight intensity based on the ~29 day cycle.

- Manual mode allows you to set the light at a static intensity, for both white and blue LEDs.

- The controller features a USB port for firmware upgrades. This provides you with easy access to the latest features.

Old 02/13/2012, 02:03 PM   #5
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8ndeb View Post
You need the VDM.
And the interface cable for AI

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?...mart&Itemid=26

RussM is online now   Reply With Quote