Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2013, 07:38 PM   #1
HowieB
Registered Member

Speedwave DC-5000 not working

Hi all, I came home and found my pump not working. I took it apart, cleaned it but still nothing. I've had it about 5 months. Any body else have bad experience with these pumps, or is it just a fluke. My old Eheim worked for 3 years without a problem. I needed a bigger pump to run a couple of reactors so I got the DC-5000. Now I need to decide whether to get another DC-5000 or find another brand. My plumbing is all set up to work with this pump (1-1/4 ID hose). What do you think?

Current Tank Info: 120G Starfire, BRS dosers, Speedwave DC10000II pump, Aquamaxx skimmer, Reefkeeper Elite, 1 Vortech, , MR1 Phosphate reactor, ATI Sunpower 6x54
HowieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2013, 10:08 PM   #2
adam87
Registered Member

Did you look at the pump's power supply light? If its off, then its a dead power supply. I have 10000, and the power supply only lasted less then two months. You can a new one from newegg or other computer parts sites. I got my from newegg for $18.

adam87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2013, 10:16 PM   #3
HowieB
Registered Member

The green LED light on the power supply is on, and the led lights on the speed control are also on. I took the pump apart and the impeller and shaft are spinning freely.

Current Tank Info: 120G Starfire, BRS dosers, Speedwave DC10000II pump, Aquamaxx skimmer, Reefkeeper Elite, 1 Vortech, , MR1 Phosphate reactor, ATI Sunpower 6x54
Unread 12/02/2013, 10:16 PM   #4
panoob
Registered Member

is this a common phenomenon for dc pumps?

panoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2013, 10:05 AM   #5
HowieB
Registered Member

Panoob- I'm trying to find out if this is a common occurrence. I see now that there is a "Gen 2" that supposed to be better. I'd like to stay with a pump that has a 1-1/4" outlet so I don't have to change my plumbing,

Unread 12/03/2013, 10:32 AM   #6
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Howie, did you get the Speedwave from Premium Aquatics? If so contact them, they will make it right.

The common occurrence with these Chinese import pumps is the crappy power supply, next it is the crappy controller and lastly the pump. Typically the pump seems to be better quality than the power supply and controller, but like with any Chinese import product, it is a gamble on whether the one you got will live a long life or a short one. Quality control isn't their best attribute, making a cheap product is.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Adam87-

Can you give us a part # from New Egg for the controller?
Thanks in advance.

Vinny Kreyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2013, 12:59 PM   #8
adam87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Adam87-

Can you give us a part # from New Egg for the controller?
Thanks in advance.
Bestek BTA09H1 Universal Notebook AC Power Adapter

adam87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2013, 08:35 PM   #9
burban94
Registered Member

I had a speedwave 5000 die on me about a month ago. Tested it against a good power supply and controller with no luck. I got mine from aquacave. Called them back for warranty service but was told you have to deal with the manufacturer for warranties. Can't remember the actual manufacturer off hand, but they were very helpful in getting me a replacement pump. Funny thing is now I have had my other ( one return, one skimmer) pump die on me lol.

FWIW I did read somewhere that there might be a faulty internal heat sensor in some of these units.

burban94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2013, 03:28 PM   #10
rhinonm
Registered Member

My dc 5500 just died on me yesterday. Lights on controller but no flow. Dang.

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS
rhinonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2013, 04:15 PM   #11
rhinonm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinonm View Post
My dc 5500 just died on me yesterday. Lights on controller but no flow. Dang.
FYI I bought this from salty supply and I just contacted them. they said they would send another newer model dc 6000 right away. They told me to discard the broken one. No manufacture hassle, no shipping just great service. I am amazed!

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS
rhinonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2013, 07:07 AM   #12
jkcoon
Registered Member

Quote:
FYI I bought this from salty supply and I just contacted them. they said they would send another newer model dc 6000 right away. They told me to discard the broken one. No manufacture hassle, no shipping just great service. I am amazed!

Wow... Excellent service... Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to spend some dough with salty supply someday soon... Ya gotta reward customer service like that.. Sadly it's hard to find these days

The the previous poster, not in the least shocked that Aquacave was no help... Ordered from them once, but wouldn't use them again... Just my $.02

jkcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2013, 09:19 AM   #13
2k3sgm
Registered Member

Quote:
This is good to know, I just got a Waveline DC10000 II from them.

2k3sgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2013, 09:21 PM   #14
Timber77
Registered Member

Seems to be a lot of problems with the chinese dc flow pumps. The german ones are much better.

Timber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Ron99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber77 View Post
Seems to be a lot of problems with the chinese dc flow pumps. The german ones are much better.
True. The Chinese ones are popular because they are a fraction of the price of the German ones. It would be nice if there was a middle ground. Bit better quality pumps at a midrange price.

Ron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2014, 12:48 PM   #16
raynist
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burban94 View Post
I had a speedwave 5000 die on me about a month ago. Tested it against a good power supply and controller with no luck. I got mine from aquacave. Called them back for warranty service but was told you have to deal with the manufacturer for warranties. Can't remember the actual manufacturer off hand, but they were very helpful in getting me a replacement pump. Funny thing is now I have had my other ( one return, one skimmer) pump die on me lol.

FWIW I did read somewhere that there might be a faulty internal heat sensor in some of these units.
Hi,

Mine just died, can you find the manufacturer for this or contact info?

Thanks
Ray

raynist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2014, 01:22 PM   #17
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Its better, the manufacturer used industry standard for the electronic components for DC pumps, because pumps are extremely important parts for a saltwater aquarium.
We can order Components and a complete PCB-Card for DC Pumps for maybe 15.- Dollar in China, versus 125.- Euro for a German made PCB-Card includet tested electronic-components...

You become, what you pay...

best regards .. .Klaus

Last edited by dc; 04/25/2014 at 04:51 AM.
Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2014, 06:04 PM   #18
Ron99
Registered Member

IME, the pumps themselves are reasonably reliable. But the power supplies are definitely sub par and the weak link. I was able to get a good deal on a new pump missing its power supply and purchased one of the universal laptop power supplies to run it. I'm hoping that makes it far more reliable.

Not many people can afford a $500 or $900 for a return pump so Red Dragon DCs are not a viable option for your average reefer.

Ron99 is offline   Reply With Quote