Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2012, 06:30 PM   #26
camaroboy8691
Registered Member

i have 8 or so of them .... i have a 5 gallon bucket , with about 2 cups bleach , ill take them out put it in the bucket and let it sit a week or so and then just wash .. been doing it this way for a long time . and no issues ... and im not using the washing machine , she would kill me

camaroboy8691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 02:14 PM   #27
sleepydoc
Registered Member

I've also heard of people making their own socks to save money - assuming you have a sewing machine!

Unread 10/03/2012, 08:57 AM   #28
ZyberGoby
Registered Member

hmmmm just set up my sump and I think I will try the washing in a bucket thing and go from there if this becomes annoying I will do what the one person said about the micro mesh from BRS. thanks for all the tips and thanks to the person that started this thread

"Reefing should never be a race..."

Current Tank Info: 120g with PF modle 3 Sump 7.5g frag tank
ZyberGoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2017, 04:15 PM   #29
five.five-six
Registered Member

Stealth ninja necro bump.

I have 3 I rotate and I’ve been washing them in a bucket every week, just too labor intensive.

For those of you who use a washing machine, does that shorten the life of the sock?

I’m considering getting a total of 12 socks and just doing them in the washing machine once a month

I have found that if I hang dry them over my sump, I have a large sump fan, they dry crispy before they start to stink.

I believe that if you don’t get everything out of the sock, nutrientwise you are just wasting time.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 04:22 PM   #30
Mysticalknight
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I have 3 I rotate and I’ve been washing them in a bucket every week, just too labor intensive.

For those of you who use a washing machine, does that shorten the life of the sock?

I’m considering getting a total of 12 socks and just doing them in the washing machine once a month

I have found that if I hang dry them over my sump, I have a large sump fan, they dry crispy before they start to stink.

I believe that if you don’t get everything out of the sock, nutrientwise you are just wasting time.
It may shorten the lifespan some, but honestly they would still last a couple of years, I have enough that I swap the two of them out every two days and throw them all in the washer with bleach once a month

Mysticalknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 04:33 PM   #31
ramseynb
Registered Member

I used to throw them in the washing machine with some bleach then let them dry out. Then I discovered how much better mesh socks are. Then I discovered how much better filter cups are over both. Just throw some filter floss in it, and when it needs cleaning, throw the old floss away and add some new.

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 11:55 PM   #32
rjjr1963
Registered Member

I soak mine in hydrogen peroxide overnight. Rinse the next day and throw them in the wash machine. They come out looking as new. HP breaks down the dirt where as bleach removes the color.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 07:56 PM   #33
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjr1963 View Post
I soak mine in hydrogen peroxide overnight. Rinse the next day and throw them in the wash machine. They come out looking as new. HP breaks down the dirt where as bleach removes the color.

Do you have an economical source for HP?

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:59 PM   #34
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Quote:
I just get mine at the grocery store. I put about 16 ounces in a 5 gallon bucket along with 6 filter sock then fill it about 1/2 full with water.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 12:43 PM   #35
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
I've also heard of people making their own socks to save money - assuming you have a sewing machine!
this is a really old thread, but i'll keep it going. . .

I bought a few yards of felt from Michael's and made my own. I either toss them if i'm lazy or throw them in the washing machine when my wifes not looking. If I remember correctly you get 18 4" socks from a yard or fabric so they are like $.25 each. Cheaper if you have a coupon.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 07:39 PM   #36
Dr RBG
Registered Member

Sodium Percarbonate makes Hydrogen Peroxide

Quote:
Cheap and easy to store: Sodium Percarbonate When mixed with water you get Hydrogen Peroxide. A small amount makes over a gallon.

https://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Percar...rbonate+powder

Dr RBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 07:43 PM   #37
Dr RBG
Registered Member

More info

https://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide....carbonate.html

Dr RBG is offline   Reply With Quote