Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2018, 02:26 PM   #1
Newfishgirl
Registered Member

Mantis in a Pico

I just purchased a 4 gallon Pico and was debating getting a mantis shrimp. I have owned several over the past few years but of course they have been in much bigger tanks. With the exception of my Peacock mantis, they have pretty much stayed in one place with the exception of hunting for food. Is there a good mantis for a Pico?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 10:36 AM   #2
Cymaster007
IEMAS President

N. Wennerae was recommended for pico tanks. I am also considering a mantis for when my current pistol shrimp & goby pair pass away (going on 5 years now).

Current Tank Info: . 225 gal reef tank SPS,LPS
Cymaster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 12:32 AM   #3
Vmazz
Registered Member

A Wennerae would be good. You may need to relocate it if it gets too big, but you should be fine. Because the tank is so small and the mantis shrimp kills a lot (and sometimes hides his food for later) nitrates or ammonia can be a problem. I would do water changes almost everyday in that size tank.

Vmazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 03:56 AM   #4
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

With a 4G tank you would need to be exxxtrraa careful about your water quality, salinity swings when doing water changes, temp swings, etc.

Inverts are notoriously sensitive. Tidal Mantis are probably a little more resistant than most however.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

I like some species of Haptosquilla in small tanks. H. glyptocercus and H.trispinosa are good. They reach a maximum size of 35 - 40 mm, feed by darting out of their cavity entrance and live for three or four years. While they remain much of the time in their cavities they are not secretive. They are usually found setting in the cavity entrance watching the world go by.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 08:47 AM   #6
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Also Neogonodactylus oerstedii can be kept in small tanks if you can get your hands on one

Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote