Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2018, 02:30 AM   #1
Shark888
Registered Member

Question Help ID Pistol Shrimp

Hello,

Can someone tell me if this is a pistol shrimp ?

Here the Chinese call it simply Purple Shrimp.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB20xtEf3LD8KJjSszeXXaGRpXa_!!3077227400.jpg (83.7 KB, 72 views)
Shark888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 08:35 PM   #2
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Not a pistol shrimp. Commonly called the purple reef lobster. Enoplometopus debelius is the Latin name.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Shark888
Registered Member

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Unread 04/24/2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Shark888
Registered Member

I found another seller advertising as a pistol shrimp.

Also I saw somewhere that there are few kind of pistol, the most peaceful one being the randall kind.

Appreciate if someone could confirm which one is the one on pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111.jpg (68.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 222.jpg (65.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 333.jpg (84.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 444.jpg (62.3 KB, 22 views)
Unread 04/25/2018, 02:59 AM   #5
Shark888
Registered Member

Up

Unread 04/26/2018, 12:49 PM   #6
Shark888
Registered Member

I got today this Pistol Shrimp (I hope it is lol) and its now in my QT, can someone tell me which kind it is, Im guessing its a tiger pistol shrimp ??

It looks huge, his body approx 2.5 inches and in all with claw 4 inches. By the way do you think my hermit crabs and skunk shrimp will be in danger once added to DT ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180427_022255A.jpg (41.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20180427_023332A.jpg (45.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20180427_023300A.jpg (40.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20180427_023215A.jpg (49.5 KB, 19 views)
Unread 04/27/2018, 03:20 AM   #7
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

I'm pretty sure that is NOT a tiger pistol shrimp. Tiger pistols have patterns on them similar to an actual tiger, hence the name.

https://www.reeflifeaquariums.com/v/...l-Shrimp-2.jpg

There are a lot of predatory pistol shrimp. You really should research a species BEFORE you buy it. There is even a nature documentary (either blue planet or planet earth, I dont remember which now) that shows some pistol shrimp killing a cleaner shimp.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 07:37 AM   #8
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Put a hermit in qt with the shrimp. See if it survives. Hermits kill each other constantly so once added to the display tank you may never know if the shrimp is killing them or they are killing each other.

I also agree that doesn’t look like any tiger pistol shrimp I have ever seen. Tiger pistol shrimp is a name given by hobbyists and stores for easy recognition because Latin names can be tough to memorize. The ones over in America that are referred to tiger pistol shrimp only get to a maximum size of 1.5-2 inches without antenna. If yours has a body of 2.5 inches and 4 inches with the claw, it’s not the same species, not even a color morph. In China though that species may very well be commonly referred to as a tiger pistol.

Unread 04/27/2018, 07:47 AM   #9
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Probably a stretch, but any idea where is was collected from? It’s definitely an Alpheus species but I can’t find the color pattern anywhere. Some crustaceans can change colors when they molt to blend in with their surroundings, go from red to green for example. Knowing where it was collected may help narrow it down.

Unread 04/27/2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Shark888
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndfreeze View Post
I'm pretty sure that is NOT a tiger pistol shrimp. Tiger pistols have patterns on them similar to an actual tiger, hence the name.

https://www.reeflifeaquariums.com/v/...l-Shrimp-2.jpg

There are a lot of predatory pistol shrimp. You really should research a species BEFORE you buy it. There is even a nature documentary (either blue planet or planet earth, I dont remember which now) that shows some pistol shrimp killing a cleaner shimp.
I have research a lot before buy it, but there are not a lot info about this color one especially. Even on this forum I got no answers and finally you can say that there is only one online seller selling this pistol in China. I searched a lot and I really want one pistol to pair with a Goby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
Put a hermit in qt with the shrimp. See if it survives. Hermits kill each other constantly so once added to the display tank you may never know if the shrimp is killing them or they are killing each other.

I also agree that doesn’t look like any tiger pistol shrimp I have ever seen. Tiger pistol shrimp is a name given by hobbyists and stores for easy recognition because Latin names can be tough to memorize. The ones over in America that are referred to tiger pistol shrimp only get to a maximum size of 1.5-2 inches without antenna. If yours has a body of 2.5 inches and 4 inches with the claw, it’s not the same species, not even a color morph. In China though that species may very well be commonly referred to as a tiger pistol.
Yes, good idea I will try one of my evil hermit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
Probably a stretch, but any idea where is was collected from? It’s definitely an Alpheus species but I can’t find the color pattern anywhere. Some crustaceans can change colors when they molt to blend in with their surroundings, go from red to green for example. Knowing where it was collected may help narrow it down.
I will ask tomorrow the seller about where it was collected. I am not sure but I found something online about the Smooth snapping pistol shrimp, it looks very similar with what I have. Any info about it ?

By the way I have added from my DT sump a sponge filter seeded of beneficial bacteria with some ampiphod, copepods on it and it has started to shoot at them.