Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2012, 10:55 AM   #276
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robferrari View Post
Truly breathtaking. I could not stop smiling while watching the video. Very well done. A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about what a "reef TV" channel would be like. Something that goes beyond what reality shows and other documentaries provide us with. I believe videos like this are the answer. Thank you so much for the time and effort you have put into your reef and everything else to make this such an enjoyable experience for everyone.*
Thank you very much. We are thinking of creating an aquarium channel on UTube but we want to make sure that the basics are in place and that we have sufficient time and bandwidth to keep it replenished with fresh relevant material. What helps us enormously is this community of enthusiastic support. The feedback is extremely helpful in coaching us through the learning curve of relevant video production.

I think the expression now should be............stay tuned!!!!

we will be right back after these messages........

Peter & Mr. Wilson

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 11:02 AM   #277
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
This is just a personal note and you may not share my view, but in my opinion this video works best by downloading it first. That way it is also available for viewing multiple times at highest resolution.

Just my 2¢.

Dave.m
Good point Dave. Thank you very much for your help and support in getting this thing mounted properly in the thread and on the website. On behalf of those long term members I will also thank you for your help throughout this build. If you are new to this build Dave.M is our official webmaster, graphics and TShirt designer for the Team Nineball project.

Peter

Unread 04/22/2012, 11:05 AM   #278
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russter View Post
Amazing video. Truly setting the bar for aquarium keeping and how we view it. The only problem that I could find was that I thought the audio level of your voices was too low when the music was playing. Otherwise everything was great.
Thanks and hello Russ. You are right about the audio balance and we have flagged that for improvement in the next episodes......

Peter

Unread 04/22/2012, 11:41 AM   #279
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinlayan View Post
What a great video , nicely done and i must say the coral growth is looking wonderful!

How many Moorish idols are now in the aquarium? and for how long?
Thanks, I am very pleased with the tanks evolution so far. Learning about Moorish Idols and how to maintain them has been an education in itself. I had originally started with four and only one of them survived, but survive he did! I did not observe any fighting and two out of the four just 'disappeared'. The fourth one died with no apparent reason. I call the survivor 'HIM' simply because he survived as I really don't know what sex he is!!! He gained weight and interacted very well with all the other species in the tank. We brought in another four and put them in the 130 gal hospital tank for 3 weeks. They all got along well in the holding tank. after we transferred them into the tank I observed 'HIM' chasing and herding them to the short side of the tank under the arch. One died fairly quickly I think from stress and I removed it. Then one of the smallest introduced Idols who was badly beaten up by HIM suddenly turned the tables (I was actually watching when it happened) and fought back. Then I had two pairs of idols but 'HE' was still refusing to let the other pair travel too far into the tank. Remember we have almost 25 feet (8 meters) of reef to work with so it was something to watch when 'HE' would travel the whole length in 1 second to keep the other pair in line. HIS tank mate that slowly recovered and was fattening up nicely was totally ignored by HIM but they were generally both together. One month into this new arrangement HE turned on HIS tank mate and killed him. and around the same time one of the other pair just 'disappeared'. So now I have HIM and one other of the survivors. They have paired up and are swimming the entire length of the tank as you might have noticed in the video. They appear to be best of friends. Time will tell.

What I have learned from this so far is that territory, for the most part, is everything so if you have a large enough tank with enough places to hide they should be introduced all at once if possible. I do agree that anything smaller than 1000 gals is probably going to be very difficult to build a shoal. 5000 or larger would be easier depending on aquascape. Size of the fish appears to play a role. If the Idol is big fat and healthy it appears that 'HE' will dominate. However I did observe the badly beaten up smaller fish hold his own at one point so it appears that character does come into it at some point. I probably won't try at this point to introduce any more Idols as long as this pair survives. If for what ever reason I lose these guys I will try another group using the same 130 gal isolation tank and bring them along all at once. I think I would also keep them in isolation for a long time, possibly 3 months before introduction into the main tank. But for the time being I will observe this pair and keep learning from their behaviour.

Peter

ps. at the moment I have six active breeding pairs of Banggai Cardinals and they are doing incredibly well. I am about to return another ten of their offspring back into the main tank to see what happens. Hopefully mother nature will help them sort it out.

Peter

Unread 04/22/2012, 11:47 AM   #280
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbtank View Post
Wow. Beautifully done Peter and team! Loved the info on the bottom of the screen as I watched. In all this time, I dont think that I ever "got it" that the smaller side of the "L" is 8 feet!

Corals are growing and filling in amzingly well.

Also seeing each dedicated "Grand Master" inspired area was awesome.

Peter, I think that you may be the grand master of "The search, implementation, and documentation of reef related best practices".

Of course you are only as good as the team which you assemble but you are the lynch pin. Thank you for your continued sharing.

Mitch
Thanks Mitch, good to see you are still out there. You are right about the team. This has been a huge testament to the power of volunteerism. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. One of the team members even plays a decent game of nine ball but I will assure you that was a discovery 'after' the fact.....not before!!!

Thanks for the observations and support. It is appreciated.

Peter

Unread 04/22/2012, 11:50 AM   #281
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusstar View Post
Astonishing. I kinda feel foolish to admit, but I remember seeing the posts about video yadda yadda yadda and was wondering why it was taking so long. I guess I was thinking it'd be like a video, home movie sort of thing. I wasn't expecting something worthy of national geographic. I confess I have been a rather silent member of the community, preferring to be more of a sponge to all the knowledge put forth here. I am meticulously planning my upgrade build and reference this thread quite a bit for help. Can't wait to see further videos. If you and mr Wilson are taking votes for next installments I'd love to see the led video as that was a much debated topic. Anyway, whatever video you guys release next im sure will be wonderful. Thanks! By the way, watched in 720 and it worked great.
Thanks for the feedback. The debate we are having right now is what the next episode should be. I can tell you that the LED episode will be interesting and hopefully helpful to folks but there is a groundswell for coral 'EYE CANDY' as well. maybe we can mix the two!!!!

Peter

Unread 04/22/2012, 12:54 PM   #282
dave.m
Registered Member

Here's my vote for chocolate-covered dancing girls.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 12:59 PM   #283
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Here's my vote for chocolate-covered dancing girls.

Dave.M
DONE!!!!

applications should be sent directly to me........obviously Dave can't be trusted!!!!!

Peter

Unread 04/22/2012, 02:10 PM   #284
JasonBJones
Registered Member

Peter and Shawn,

The video was well worth the wait, truly incredible. It is amazing to see how much the tank has filled in so quickly and how healthy everything looks. The system's performance is a testament to your best practices approach. One of my favorite videos I have seen.

The only note of constructive criticism I have is that the video did not seem to me to capture your enthusiasm. One of the things I have loved about this thread is how much passion you bring to everything you do. It is not that the video lacked passion or enthusiasm, it was truly wonderful, it just didn't capture the "Peter" I have come to love and expect.

Overall, truly well done and you have once again raised the bar on aquarium presentation.

JasonBJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 03:08 PM   #285
FuzzyZipperbaum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Fuzzy if you really want to raise the bar you have to acknowledge the Grand Master. Chingchai has just done a phenomenal update but I thank you for the compliment.

Peter
Oh I am VERY aware of his tank and contributions...

I'd love a video just on the fish room....

FuzzyZipperbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 07:05 PM   #286
dwolson2
Registered Member

Wow, what an amazing tank! I have been working on reading this thread, but I am only on page 37(50pp) and had to skip to the end. I really liked the video, and i would really love to see a video tour of your fish room.

I haven't seen it yet but what controller are you using for your tank? Do you stream live video of your tank through the net? Are you on reeftronics?
Thanks!

dwolson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 07:06 PM   #287
dwolson2
Registered Member

Edit, dumb computer double post...

Unread 04/22/2012, 07:32 PM   #288
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBJones View Post
Peter and Shawn,

The video was well worth the wait, truly incredible. It is amazing to see how much the tank has filled in so quickly and how healthy everything looks. The system's performance is a testament to your best practices approach. One of my favorite videos I have seen.

The only note of constructive criticism I have is that the video did not seem to me to capture your enthusiasm. One of the things I have loved about this thread is how much passion you bring to everything you do. It is not that the video lacked passion or enthusiasm, it was truly wonderful, it just didn't capture the "Peter" I have come to love and expect.

Overall, truly well done and you have once again raised the bar on aquarium presentation.
Thank you for your comments. I think you are probably right with respect to the personal chemistry. It makes you really appreciate what a competent director can bring to the party. I can say that I hope to improve that reality in the upcoming episodes. I will look forward to your feedback on the next segment on my personal journey back to the light.......

Peter

Unread 04/22/2012, 07:36 PM   #289
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

Peter,
Thank you for the great video! I have been following this build for a long time, and it never ceases to impress. Looking forward to the next!
Matt

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 07:58 PM   #290
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolson2 View Post
Wow, what an amazing tank! I have been working on reading this thread, but I am only on page 37(50pp) and had to skip to the end. I really liked the video, and i would really love to see a video tour of your fish room.

I haven't seen it yet but what controller are you using for your tank? Do you stream live video of your tank through the net? Are you on reeftronics?
Thanks!
Thank you for the effort to read this thread. Even I forget just how big it is. There will be much more on the fish room to come so stay tuned.

I am using a Profilex III Ex. If you have been following the thread from the beginning you know by now that the dominant culture in this thread is not to focus on negative criticism of products and services related to this build. You have asked about the one product that caused me the greatest challenge to holding back on that principle. I'm very tempted to speak out but for the sake of consistency in honour of this community I will not, except to say that I would NOT buy this product again., nor would I recommend it to anyone in the hobby.
All I will say on this subject is that this product and company that produced it, is the very opposite to a best practice. However I must also say that I do NOT have any suggestions on alternatives yet but when I do you will certainly hear about it on the thread.

I have been working on a solution for streaming to the web but I'm not there yet. The issue is quality and when I find the rich solution I will broadcast to the web.

Finally I am not on reeftronics. I'm afraid I wouldn't know the difference between Reeftronics and a BMW........I'll just have to check it out.

Peter

Unread 04/22/2012, 07:59 PM   #291
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley000 View Post
Peter,
Thank you for the great video! I have been following this build for a long time, and it never ceases to impress. Looking forward to the next!
Matt
Thanks Matt, I recognize your avatar.......good to see you are still out there.

Peter

Unread 04/22/2012, 08:13 PM   #292
freetareef
Registered Member

awesome!!!

freetareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 08:21 PM   #293
msr224
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you and we will get a chance to sit around the same table in the near future.......possibly all wearing oversized hats!!!!
Thanks for the feedback on HD.

Peter
I got my 10 gallon ready! I think I'm required to wear black. See ya there.

Current Tank Info: Just a mixed reef tank.
msr224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 08:21 PM   #294
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you for the effort to read this thread. Even I forget just how big it is. There will be much more on the fish room to come so stay tuned.

I am using a Profilex III Ex. If you have been following the thread from the beginning you know by now that the dominant culture in this thread is not to focus on negative criticism of products and services related to this build. You have asked about the one product that caused me the greatest challenge to holding back on that principle. I'm very tempted to speak out but for the sake of consistency in honour of this community I will not, except to say that I would NOT buy this product again., nor would I recommend it to anyone in the hobby.
All I will say on this subject is that this product and company that produced it, is the very opposite to a best practice. However I must also say that I do NOT have any suggestions on alternatives yet but when I do you will certainly hear about it on the thread.

I have been working on a solution for streaming to the web but I'm not there yet. The issue is quality and when I find the rich solution I will broadcast to the web.

Finally I am not on reeftronics. I'm afraid I wouldn't know the difference between Reeftronics and a BMW........I'll just have to check it out.

Peter
Peter, I was asked to set up a Profilex controller recently, all I will say is I could not agree with you more.

On another hand, I have used Neptune controllers for many years and am now using their Apex system. I give it my highest recommendation and their customer service is unbelievably good.

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 08:35 PM   #295
dwolson2
Registered Member

Quote:

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Peter, I was asked to set up a Profilex controller recently, all I will say is I could not agree with you more.

On another hand, I have used Neptune controllers for many years and am now using their Apex system. I give it my highest recommendation and their customer service is unbelievably good.
Reeftronics is a site that you can hook up your apex and reefkeeper to. It is a nice view of you tank over the day/week/month(parameters)(here is the link to my tank http://www.reeftronics.net/dwolson2/apex-status)

As for controllers, I have an APEX and like Elliott, I strongly recommend them. The expand-ability is huge with them.

Unread 04/22/2012, 10:17 PM   #296
jcw
Registered Member

stunning. thank you.

to mr wilson, i understand your explanation of matching skimmer and sump pump flow rates, however, if this is considered the best way to skim, why do recirculating skimmers exist? and are they more or less efficient?

-eznet2u

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, custom 30g sump, ATB elegance, eheim 1260, mp40 (too many failed wetsides), gyre 150 (love it)
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 05:36 AM   #297
M007
Acro Whore

Great video, BRAVO!

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 06:51 AM   #298
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetareef View Post
awesome!!!
Barq's........kitty after my own heart.

Peter

Unread 04/23/2012, 06:54 AM   #299
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr224 View Post
I got my 10 gallon ready! I think I'm required to wear black. See ya there.

I'm smellin a reality show in here somewheres.........

Peter

Unread 04/23/2012, 06:57 AM   #300
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolson2 View Post
Reeftronics is a site that you can hook up your apex and reefkeeper to. It is a nice view of you tank over the day/week/month(parameters)(here is the link to my tank http://www.reeftronics.net/dwolson2/apex-status)

As for controllers, I have an APEX and like Elliott, I strongly recommend them. The expand-ability is huge with them.
Thanks guys.....

Peter