Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/08/2019, 12:57 PM   #1
hbnano714
Registered Member

Losing color on monti

I'm having trouble figuring out where to position this. It's about 1.5 inches tall and maybe 1.5 inches in diameter. I have a 360x at about 90% in a 25 gallon lagoon tank. The tank is about 12 inches high and the light is another 8 inches above the water.

I had it about 3/4 of the way up in the tank and slightly off center from the light. But the side pointing to the light started getting lighter color. So I moved it down to the sandbed and I'm still seeing the same thing. I'm seeing no growth at all and it's not attaching to what it is touching. The reason I'm baffled is that the shaded side of it has a nice deep red color. But the side pointed toward the light is getting lighter.

So, any advice on what to do? Should I keep moving it to a lower light location in my tank? Or maybe I'm wrong about the ID of it and I'm placing it wrong?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg monti.jpg (54.3 KB, 24 views)
hbnano714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2019, 12:58 PM   #2
hbnano714
Registered Member

Since I can't edit the post :/ I just wanted to mention that this pic is not showing the discoloration. The lighter areas in the pic are just from the lighting. The pic is just for reference to the type of coral.

Unread 07/10/2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Mrtakeoff53
Registered Member

I have a Kessil and have issues with Montipora color too. Sounds like it’s getting too much light. I run mine at 70% intensity and 40% color at the peak during the day. Keep moving it down until the color returns and then slowly back to where you want it. Let it acclimate over a few WEEKS! I hope it colors back up for you!

Unread 07/12/2019, 03:36 PM   #4
hbnano714
Registered Member

Thanks so much for the advice. It's so weird this is the only coral in my tank that is having problems. all my other acro, montis, acans, even my chalice are doing great. But this one...

I'll move it back into a corner to see if I can get it to color up a bit.

Thanks again!