Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2013, 05:28 PM   #51
ojonas81
Registered Member

Here is a picture of the overflow. As you can see my cross beams for the stand is at a very bad location. I am hoping Miracles can make some adjustments to the hole placements with the new tank so I don't have to move the beams.

I will ask them to make two 1.5" holes and two 1" holes. I will use one of the 1.5" as a full siphon and other other as the emergency drain. One of the 1" will be my open channel and the last 1" will be for my return.

ojonas81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2013, 07:19 PM   #52
ojonas81
Registered Member

A new shipment from BRS arrived today. Got my bulk heads, two gate valves (one for my full siphon drain and one for my return line), filter socks and the APEX Leak Detection Module with two sensors (also known as the ultimate WAF).

I decided to go with the high quality slip-slip Spears Gate valves and man are they big. The 1.5" one is humongous.

This is it next to my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone.

I also stopped by Home Depot after work today and picked up a "bag full of plumbing parts" as well as some PVC pipes.

I really need to start finalizing my plumbing schematics. I have drawn it out on a piece of paper but need to make it in a more permanent form. Still have some time since because of the tank issues but would be good to have it all sorted out. I am sure I still are missing a whole bunch of parts. These things add up quick. Ended up spending a bit over $100 just on the plumbing parts from Home Depot alone.

Unread 06/13/2013, 06:45 PM   #53
ojonas81
Registered Member

Well the tank is up for sale now if anyone is interested.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...0#post21609720

Unread 06/14/2013, 07:40 AM   #54
MelloW33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojonas81 View Post
Well the tank is up for sale now if anyone is interested.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...0#post21609720
That's a good buy. I got mine for $700 but you should have more reefers in your vicinity than the guy I got mine from and can get a higher price.

Save that $$$ for some coral!

Unread 06/15/2013, 12:20 PM   #55
ojonas81
Registered Member

Finally go the plumbing put on paper. Does this looks like a good plan or am I missing something critical? Depending on what happens I may or may not need/get the chiller before I plumb the tank so eventually it will be added at a later stage. Please comment and critique.

Unread 06/16/2013, 07:33 AM   #56
ojonas81
Registered Member

No comments on my plumbing schematics?

Also just sold off the "scratched tank" so one burden is off my shoulders.

Unread 06/16/2013, 11:32 AM   #57
Animadverto
Registered Member

What kind of a return pump will you be using? That's a lot of reactors to feed as well as a chiller and a lot of 90 degree angles to go through. Unless you are planning on running carbon and GFO 24/7, I would run them off independent reactor(s) away from the manifold, but I do see the benefits of your current schematics because you won't have reactor(s) sitting in the sump and contributing additional heat from the pump(s).

I'm glad that Miracles took good care of you. I'll have to remember that the next time I upgrade/order a tank.

Animadverto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2013, 12:03 PM   #58
biocube14g
Registered Member

Beautiful build. Subbing

Current Tank Info: JBJ 28 Nano Cube, 14k Metal Halides, UV Sterilizer, HOB Protein Skimmer, 30 Lbs LR Main display; 30 Lbs rubble in sump, 10 Gallon Sump, 2 Hydor Koralia 240's, RIO 2100 Return Pump
biocube14g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2013, 10:10 PM   #59
ojonas81
Registered Member

The return pump will be a RLSS DC-12000. The sketch i made does not show the actual plumbing route but more the general concept of how to connect things. Will be utilizing 45 degree elbows as much as possible.

Unread 07/10/2013, 09:19 AM   #60
Animadverto
Registered Member

updates?

Unread 07/11/2013, 07:13 AM   #61
ojonas81
Registered Member

Sorry for not updating here. Not much have happened lately. Been in kind of a holding pattern for the new tank. I have started to play around some with the plumbing. More so to train myself in gluing and trying out which fittings that will work etc. Starting to get the hang of some of it but still have a lot to learn/try.

Yesterday the old tank got picked up by a reefer from Orlando. Everything went fairly smooth but man is the tank heavy. I also got information from Miracles that my new tank is ready to be chipped to me by the end of next week so hopefully in about two weeks I have it home. Then the real progress than begin.

Something that is a little concerning to me is that I have yet to get my return pump and skimmer delivered. Both were ordered back in May so it has been a while. The common denominator between both those are that they are made by RLSS. I have heard great things about them but I cannot wait forever to get them shipped. At some point I may just have to cancel the order and go with something else.

Unread 07/16/2013, 08:16 PM   #62
ojonas81
Registered Member

Short update. Finally got to order the lights. Ended up with two Radion Pro modules. Got them for about $100 off per module which was nice. Been waiting a long time for a "deal" on them knowing that Ecotech never have any sales. Should be delivered here by the end of the week.

Getting closes and closer now to the actual start of the build. So far it has been mostly getting parts and playing the waiting game. Still missing two main components that have not been delivered yet, the skimmer and the return pump.

Unread 07/17/2013, 10:53 AM   #63
Animadverto
Registered Member

Are you getting your skimmer and return pump from Salty Supply? I've been looking into replacing my eheim return pump with a lower wattage Waveline DC 5000, but they have not had it in stock for the last few months. Frustrating!

Unread 07/17/2013, 11:14 AM   #64
ojonas81
Registered Member

I am getting the skimmer from Salty Supply but not the return pump. It is coming from Premium Aquatics. Regardless, in both cases they are nowhere to be seen. Not sure how much longer I am wiling to wait, especially since the tank is arriving next week.

Unread 07/20/2013, 01:19 PM   #65
ojonas81
Registered Member

Santa arrived yesterday afternoon. The UPS guy had two boxed from BRS containing my Ecotech Radion X30W Pro (and some other less important stuff).

Unpacked the Radions and turned them on to test and boy are they bright. Think I will be able to grow just about anything under these. Will most likly have a bigger issue with low light demanded corals than SPS and clams. Installed the Ecotech software and connected my laptop to the lights. Played around some with the different settings but have not decided how I want to have my light curve. Most likely I will incorporate something that promotes high growth during the day when I am at work and then change to promote colors when I come home. Think there will be a lot of experimentation in the beginning.

Here are some "mandatory" unboxing pictures.

Next project on the agenda is to work in the electrical panel as much as I can do before the actual DT arrives (hopefully next week).

Unread 07/20/2013, 05:55 PM   #66
ojonas81
Registered Member

Started to build the electrical panel today. Unfortunately most of the equipment is stuck on the nano tank for now. Will leave it there until I at least get the tank up and leak tested.

Unread 07/23/2013, 09:51 PM   #67
ojonas81
Registered Member

Got some time to work more on the stand. Installed incoming power, hooked up the stand lighting and mounted the two BRS reactors. Probably need to figure out a different way to mount them because right now it looks like they may fall off the screws when the weight of water is added. Does anyone have any tips on how to best mount them for stability?

Below are updated pictures of the stand interior.

I have started to work on a stock list but are nowhere near a final selection.

Current inhabitants that will be making the move to the new tank:
  • 2 Semi-Picasso Percs
  • Carpenters Flasher Wrasse
  • 2 RBTA
  • Shrimps and remaining cleanup crew
  • Remaining corals

Proposed additional fish stock list (I love smaller fish and gobies so it will be heavy on those)
  • 1 Blue tang (Hippo)
  • 1 Powder Brown tang or 1 Powder blue tang
  • 1 Tailspot Blenny
  • 3 Lyretail Anthias or 3 Dispar Anthias
  • 3-5 Red Stop Light Cardinal
  • 2 Banghai Cardinal
  • 2 Purple Fire fish or 2 Fire Fish
  • 2 Green Mandarin Goby (after the tank and pod population is well established
  • 2 Blue Neon Goby (if mated pair)
  • 2 Yellow Neon Goby (If mated pair)
  • 2 Yasha Haze Goby (if mated pair)
  • 1 Yellow Watchman Goby
  • 1 Black Ray Goby
  • 1 Diamond Goby (maybe)
  • 1 Bluespotted jawfish
  • 1 female Carpenters flasher wrasse (for my male)
  • 1 Cleaner wrasse

The list is probably way too long and I need to cut down some. Any fish I should remove immediately or someone I missed? Would appreciate any comments.

Unread 07/24/2013, 03:15 AM   #68
Genesis Corals
Registered Member

Build looks great so far. I am glad to here Miracles taking care of you like that, I will definitely keep that in mind for my next build. As for the fish I would cut the cleaner wrasse (poor survival rates) and choose only a couple of those gobies, as they may fight due to being of the same species.

Genesis 1:21 So God created the great creatures of the ocean. He created every living and moving thing that fills the waters. He created all kinds of them...And God saw that it was good.
Genesis Corals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2013, 12:38 PM   #69
ojonas81
Registered Member

Thanks. I pretty much calculated on not being able to have all the gobies. The ones I really want are Yasha Haze and the neon goby (yellow or blue).

I have also ready that the Carpenters wrasse would do best with 3 or 4 females instead of just one. Is that correct or would I still be fine with just 1 female?

Spoke to Miracles today on the phone. Apparently they told me incorrect shipping date last week. My tank was built and completed yesterday and will now sit and "cure" etc. for the remainder of this week. I got the option of having it being shipped out Friday or Monday of next week. I selected Monday so if everything goes well I should (knock on wood) have the tank back home again by the second half of next week.

Unread 07/24/2013, 09:08 PM   #70
Animadverto
Registered Member

Be careful with the Banggai Cardinals if you are getting just 2 unless they're a mated pair. If you happen to get 2 males, the dominant one would likely harass the shyer one to death after a while. Diamond gobies have a nasty habit of swallowing a mouthful of sand and releasing it half way swimming up your tank while the power heads blow everything around.

Everything is looking fantastic, so clean and tidy. Can't wait to see a tank full of water. By the way, have you decided on which option to choose for the aquascaping from earlier posts?

Unread 07/24/2013, 10:10 PM   #71
ojonas81
Registered Member

Thanks for the complements!

I would only get two Banggai if I can get one male and one female or a mated pair. Too bad they won't get along in larger groups since they are a very cool looking fish.

As for the option for aquascape, I have not yet decided and will probably be a sixth version inside the tank. It will however be based off version 5 as it is now. I have a few ideas on how to tweak that version but have to do some testing with the actual rocks after they are done curing.

Unread 07/26/2013, 07:21 AM   #72
ojonas81
Registered Member

Trying to figure out the best and easiest way to build a small stand for my 20G remote fuge. Would 4x2 as lefts and then a MDF board on top work or do I need something more sturdy?

Unread 07/26/2013, 08:29 PM   #73
ojonas81
Registered Member

Got bored waiting for the tank to arrive so I brought out the macro in the backyard. Found this little dude. Doesn't really have anything to do with the build but thought I would live up the thread with a couple of images.

Unread 07/26/2013, 08:44 PM   #74
indyjaco
Registered Member

Beautiful work so far.

If you can find a M/F pair of Bangii's you will enjoy watching them. Pretty cool to see their behavior.

SCA 120G RB 48 V2
indyjaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2013, 08:54 PM   #75
biecacka
Registered Member

What camera and lens are you using?
That's a great photo

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote