Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2011, 07:47 PM   #1
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Acanthophyllia Deshayesiana "Meat coral" lesson learned

I've always thought this was the most beautiful coral ever and defintely planned to get one when my tank was not so new.
Unfortunately i'm now learning more about the acanthophyllia because mine is close to dying.
I didnt know the acanthophyllia deshayesiana "meat coral" needed to be spot fed.
After about two months of growing in my tank it began expelling her zooanthelae, because of bleaching from too high of light, so i put it in a more shaded area.
What i did'nt think of though is that since it was no longer getting her energy from light, it needed to be supplemented with Spot feeding. Before, we didn't feed the corals because we had such an explosion of pods that we assumed ALL the corals were eating pods. They were all eating pods, except for her.
But now we feed her everyday (regardless of how she looks now) hoping she'll revive/survive. And a lesson well learned for me. So i thought i'd pass it on figuring maybe it might help someone who
might want to have one of these beautiful animals their tank someday.

Here's how it looked when we first put it in our tank.

Here's two pics of how it looked two months later.

Here's what it started to look like when it started declining.
In this 2 minute video that i took of my tank, just in general, i'm completely unaware that the deshayesiana was in any distress.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...t/2e5dcd65.mp4

This is what it looks like now.

We're feeding it everyday in the hopes that it will turn around in spite of my stupidity. We have a plastic container with a hole in the top so we can feed her and not have the blenny steal her food.
All isnt lost if even one person learns from my mistake.

Last edited by BlueCorn; 07/20/2011 at 10:50 PM.
IridescentLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Jimmy Wright
Registered Member

Thank you for your info. I hope it survives. Good Luck!

Current Tank Info: 75 gal reef tank
Jimmy Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 05:43 AM   #3
HandOfGod
Registered Member

Mine loves big fat krill....if it can get it down before the clownfish gets it

HandOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Reef Bass
colors and textures

I can feel your pain. Best wishes for recovery.

+1 for krill. Large and meaty, marine origin (beneficial fatty acids).

Very good pics with a fine camera too. You must know somebody.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 11:19 AM   #5
BlueCorn
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post

Let's let photo credit fall where it's due; on April. I had nothing to do with those images, she did it all on her own. She's smart, pretty AND talented.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 02:50 PM   #6
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy View Post
Let's let photo credit fall where it's due; on April. I had nothing to do with those images, she did it all on her own. She's smart, pretty AND talented.
You're pretty awesome yourself ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Wright View Post
Thank you for your info. I hope it survives. Good Luck!
Thanks much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOfGod View Post
Mine loves big fat krill....if it can get it down before the clownfish gets it
Does yours like krill, really? wow, i never even thought to feed it krill. heck thats probably high in protein too. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
I can feel your pain. Best wishes for recovery.
+1 for krill. Large and meaty, marine origin (beneficial fatty acids).

Thanks. That krill sounds like exactly what it needs.
And yeah, about the pic, Doug is right, lol, i took the pic. I'm glad i got a decent one of her, if only to show folks how pretty these acanthophyllias CAN be, if we give 'em what they need.

Unread 07/16/2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Sheol
Registered Member

Isn't that a Scoly? I'm confused, is this a different genus?

Matthew

Sheol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 05:51 PM   #8
scapes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheol View Post
Isn't that a Scoly? Matthew
no it's not

scapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 06:19 PM   #9
greech
Registered Member

Hope it makes a full recovery. Experienced something similar with my scoly. Fairly long recovery but the spot feeding and covering the coral like you are to allow it to eat undisturbed helped mine great deal.

Current Tank Info: Tank: 40 breeder; 20H sump w/SWC 120; Sicce 3.0 return; Vortech MP-10; Sundial T5, DIY Actinic LED (3W Cree). Livestock: Pair of Black & Whites; Midas Blenny; Firefish; Yasha/pistol; Black Leopard Wrasse; LPS and SPS
greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 07:55 PM   #10
organism
code monkey

That's a shame, hopefully it comes back around! I've had healthy ones do great without feeding, but once they get bleached they need a little TLC, and boy are they easy to bleach

organism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2011, 11:10 PM   #11
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Quote:
Isn't that a Scoly? I'm confused, is this a different genus?
Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapes View Post
no it's not
Hi Matthew,
No, but you bring up a good point. This coral used to be classified as Cynarina Deshayesiana. In the local fish stores it has always been confused with a "cynarina" or a "scoly".
It was thought that the scolymia, the cynarina and the ancanthophyllia corals were the same sub-species, but have recently discovered that they are not the same. All three of these corals can look very similar when they're small.

And so until recently there were two cynarina species, the cynarina deshayesiana (sometimes called a meat coral) and the cynarina lacrymalis (red button coral)
Recently scientific community has decided to re-classify the cynarina deshayesiana as Acanthophyllia Deshayesiana. Not to be confused with Acanasthrea (Acans).

The Scoly and the Cynarina grow to a maximum of about 5 inches, whereas the Acanthophyllia Deshayesiana can reach a foot to a foot and a half.
The Acanthophyllia Deshayesiana is literally the biggest (known) single polyped stony coral.
Local fish stores still often have this as a "cynarina", "meat coral, "scoly", "button coral", and "cats eye coral".
Sorry for such a long, nerdy answer. I just love them, and It surely doesn't look like it right now but I've read up alot about them before i got one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
Hope it makes a full recovery. Experienced something similar with my scoly. Fairly long recovery but the spot feeding and covering the coral like you are to allow it to eat undisturbed helped mine great deal.
Did this way helps yours? Oh that is SO good to hear that at least it CAN sometimes be done. I appreciate the experiential support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
That's a shame, hopefully it comes back around! I've had healthy ones do great without feeding, but once they get bleached they need a little TLC, and boy are they easy to bleach
Are they easy to bleach? It sounds like you have experience with these as well. It's at least somewhat comforting to know that i wasn't as irresponsible as i felt. It's seems to be quite a different coral from any lps in that it needs a bit more gentleness in the tank, light and flow-wise.
Bless it's heart, i'll keep doing what i'm doing, and thanks so much for the advice.

Unread 07/16/2011, 11:59 PM   #12
AGYDAL
Registered Member

My green guy seems happier when he's near a rock sort of shielding it against flow. I know you have to have it out to cover it because it's weak; maybe as it starts to recover move it a little closer to the rocks? Mine also really likes Selcon Soaked mysis.

Good luck they're really cool corals, very active for a blob

AGYDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2011, 12:29 AM   #13
klepto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridescentLily View Post
Sorry for such a long, nerdy answer. I just love them...
I'm appreciating the depth of the answer.

Unread 07/17/2011, 05:10 PM   #14
Sheol
Registered Member

OK, that makes sense. And it does look a lot like what I see sold as Cyarina sp. corals around here. But it grows bigger, apparently.
Not that it matters, all three would be welcomed by my Angels with open fins. And mouths, alas..

Matthew

Unread 07/20/2011, 06:28 AM   #15
victor escobar
Registered Member

to add to the taxonomic controversy you can also look at blastomussa beyerbanky and acanthastrea maxima.

victor escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2011, 12:48 PM   #16
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Are they easy to bleach? It sounds like you have experience with these as well. It's at least somewhat comforting to know that i wasn't as irresponsible as i felt. It's seems to be quite a different coral from any lps in that it needs a bit more gentleness in the tank, light and flow-wise.
Yup, sometimes I feel like if you sneeze on them they bleach. Every time my tank went over 82 or my lights got stuck on a bit mine would bleach and take a few months to come back, while everything else in the tank would be fine

organism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2011, 05:06 PM   #17
Sheol
Registered Member

Delicate then? Well, I have to avoid them anyway, because of my angels but if I ever were in position to get one, this info would be very, very helpful..

Matthew

Unread 07/20/2011, 08:32 PM   #18
bz350
Registered Member

thank you for the information. these corals are beautiful. do you have any information on there reporduction?

bz350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2011, 10:23 PM   #19
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGYDAL View Post
My green guy seems happier when he's near a rock sort of shielding it against flow. I know you have to have it out to cover it because it's weak; maybe as it starts to recover move it a little closer to the rocks? Mine also really likes Selcon Soaked mysis.

Good luck they're really cool corals, very active for a blob
Yes. I think you're right, nearer to the entrance of the "cave" or half in and half out of the cave would've been a better place. That way it's kinda nestled more near rock like you said, and not all out in the open by itself getting all the flow that richoets off the front glass (yikes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by klepto View Post
I'm appreciating the depth of the answer.
Thanks much.

Quote:
OK, that makes sense. And it does look a lot like what I see sold as Cyarina sp. corals around here. But it grows bigger, apparently.
Not that it matters, all three would be welcomed by my Angels with open fins. And mouths, alas..

Matthew
Yes indeed, lol, it would be like Christmas morning to the angel species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor escobar View Post
to add to the taxonomic controversy you can also look at blastomussa beyerbanky and acanthastrea maxima.
Yep, absolutely. Makes one's head spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
Yup, sometimes I feel like if you sneeze on them they bleach. Every time my tank went over 82 or my lights got stuck on a bit mine would bleach and take a few months to come back, while everything else in the tank would be fine
That's EXACTLY what happened to mine.
We left to Sacramento one week. We left the house air conditioner on specifically so the tank wouldn't get too hot. When we returned we looked the tank temp in the early afternoon and it was 84. We saw that our new pink hammer was decomposed. So we knew then that the temp must have been outrageous while we were gone.
Everything else in the tank was fine, and we were grateful we only had the one loss.
Then, a day or two later, just like you said, the Acanthophyllia started a rapid decline of bleaching and tissue retraction. It began by expelling it's zooanthellae like crazy. I thought the bleaching was from the light, so i put it in the cave in a way more shaded area. Well, that was fine, but it wasn't the light. It had been growing and thriving in the semi-strong light it was under. It was the hEAT. It didn't start expelling until the heat went up.
(since then we have a way to keep the tank temp constant within one degree.)

Quote:
Delicate then? Well, I have to avoid them anyway, because of my angels but if I ever were in position to get one, this info would be very, very helpful..
Matthew
Sort of, although they are pretty hearty by all acounts. Mine grew, and thrived in strong light and high flow, and made it through temps that the hammer couldn't survive. But alas, it was that one thing (heat) that pushed it over the edge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz350 View Post
thank you for the information. these corals are beautiful. do you have any information on there reporduction?
You're welcome. You have a good question. I don't know alot about their reproduction. I would venture to guess that they reproduce by spawning, like sps and (some) other lps. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me, cuz they couldn't bud off like zoas or encrust like acans or favia, nor grow additonal polyps like other stuff. So id' guess spawning. Now you've got me curious.

And unfortunately you guys it didn't make it. We had to take it out today ( i didn't want to) because it had declined to the point of starting the decay process.

Unread 07/20/2011, 11:01 PM   #20
AGYDAL
Registered Member

This is how I have mine, sheltered from direct flow by the rock without directly touching it, to keep the polyp from "chafing".

If you look at the sand line in the front you can tell sorta where my flow patterns go.

Info for when yours gets back on its feet (ummm feet?...hmmm, tentacles? ) I run LEDs and it seems to really like the fairly direct amount of light its getting.

Sorry if these photos are oddly sized, I'm on my phone pulling them from a memory card and mobile photobucketing them.

AGYDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2011, 04:04 AM   #21
victor escobar
Registered Member

Another important issue for the scolymia-cynarina complex is that certain resins to get rid off the P can damage them specially when you change the media and there is a strong reduction of phospfates

victor escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2012, 09:48 AM   #22
hillscp
Soylent Green is People!!

How did the story turn out?

Quote:
You're welcome. You have a good question. I don't know alot about their reproduction. I would venture to guess that they reproduce by spawning, like sps and (some) other lps. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me, cuz they couldn't bud off like zoas or encrust like acans or favia, nor grow additonal polyps like other stuff. So id' guess spawning. Now you've got me curious.

Here is a video of mine spawning. Only caught it once.

Current Tank Info: Salt water since 1995
hillscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2012, 12:09 PM   #23
sponger0
Registered Member

I am also interested in what happened. I also have a cynarina. I have never had to feed it or do anything to it. I have had it for almost a year now

sponger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2012, 01:26 PM   #24
BlueCorn
Retired

Quote:
And unfortunately you guys it didn't make it. We had to take it out today ( i didn't want to) because it had declined to the point of starting the decay process.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2012, 01:43 PM   #25
hillscp
Soylent Green is People!!

I read the whole thread and somehow missed that. Sorry to hear it though.

Current Tank Info: Salt water since 1995
hillscp is offline   Reply With Quote