Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2006, 08:14 AM   #1
Saj
Registered Member

Unhappy Emperor Angelfish, Colour Change

I've had him since he was a juv at 1.5", he has started to change into adult colours but latels his transformation has slowed down or even stopped.

the rate of change increased as the tank size increase from a 6x2x2 to a 7ftx30"x30".

Since then not much has changed.

I've taken some pic to show, for you to see where he is now currently.

The pictures are some what of a poor quality, need to get my self a better camera.

He's eating well with at least 3 feeds a day mainly on mysis and nori all day.

Whats your thoughts, i'm thinking of changing his food and more water changes.

Saj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Patchy
Registered Member

i cant answer any of your questions but i think he looks awesome like that...

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Titan*69
Registered Member

Emp is looking good!

Current Tank Info: 210 with 90GL sump, 100 Undy, and a minute 40QT
Titan*69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2006, 09:22 AM   #4
Saj
Registered Member

i'm pleased with the change but i'm wating for that black mask and white face

Unread 04/02/2006, 09:40 AM   #5
roader247
Registered Member

Mine took about 2 years to finish he looks good to me good luck

roader247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2006, 11:36 AM   #6
marrone
Registered Member

Fully adult from the wild generally have better colors than Juv raise to adults in the home tank. Some don't make the full change or those that do aren't as vibrant in color. A lot has to do with diet and probably sex maturity that you would get in the wild where in your home tank you don't have other emperor to make them fully change and reach sex maturity.

Current Tank Info: 2-260, 75 Fish & 58 Reef
marrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2006, 12:00 PM   #7
I like Triggers
Registered Member

i like the way it looks like that! i have a juvinile myself, who is about 4" long i would say, i wouldnt mind if mine stayed in an 'in between' stage, unles it was a health issue.

Current Tank Info: 225g Aggressive/Mixed Reef
I like Triggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2006, 12:03 PM   #8
woodywoo
Registered Member

I agree with marrone, often times Color change is angels will not be comlpete in aquariums.

woodywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2006, 07:04 AM   #9
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

I would try to get him eating pellets with color enhancers.
I agree with the rest i have not seen in person a fully transformed emp from a juvi. There was a thread not too long ago with a guy that had his change, But the bands were not complete and still not fully done with the change.
Color looked good as far as i could tell,(But i tend not to believe pics on the net) with yours the color looks to be bright. I would try some frozen angel food with sponge in it.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2006, 07:07 AM   #10
LRS078
Registered Member

Pellets, Red Algae sheets, Green Algae Sheets, Spirulina supplement....all are your friend.

Current Tank Info: 200, 215, couple species and/or "bug" tanks
LRS078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2006, 01:24 PM   #11
woodywoo
Registered Member

If I had to pick a Pellet food I would go with New Life Speturm foods. Its hormone-free and it has a Ench. growth rate.

woodywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2006, 01:33 PM   #12
TAZ316
Registered Member

I agree with woodywoo. specturm is by far the best that I've seen.

Current Tank Info: F.O.W.L.R
TAZ316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2006, 11:27 AM   #13
Saj
Registered Member

Thanks for the replys, i will find out if i can get some New Life Speturm foods in england.

Are there any other fresh foods such as squid i can use?

Unread 04/05/2006, 07:09 AM   #14
LRS078
Registered Member

If they eat squid it isn't bad by any stretch but the plant and sponge really is what helps their color it seems. BTW, I'll jump on the consensus that Spectrum is good stuff....

If you can't find it local see what the shipping would be on some of the online vendors. Failing that shoot an email off to spectrum.

Hope this helps...

Current Tank Info: 200, 215, couple species and/or "bug" tanks
LRS078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2006, 07:43 AM   #15
sixxer
Moved On

Get some Formula1, Formula2 and Angel Diet (contains sponge)
Keep up with the Nori and he will make the transformation. Here's my Emporor in full adult colors

sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2016, 11:27 PM   #16
victorcan
Registered Member

Ive searched on this topic umteen times and always brings me here with but with no end result .. Got an emperor changling and hes Awesome! Eats like a pro and very healthy. I got him as a changling about 4" long and have had him for about 3 months, question is when or how long for the change to the adult colors? I got the changeling because all of the reading I did suggested that I would have better success than if I bought the adult which most people say don't eat. But I can't notice any distinguishable difference in him in three months a guy at the local fish store told me it would only take a few months and at this rate I would expect to wake up one morning and have a full Beautiful adult emperor angelfish lol.I know every fish is different but just trying to get a grip on time for the colors I so desire to appear it's been about 10 years since anyone commented in this thread maybe it'll come back Rofl

Current Tank Info: 220Gal Mixed Reef
victorcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2016, 11:36 PM   #17
Cichlidgeek
Registered Member

Victorcan,
I've been told the exact opposite.......that it may take a year or more to change to adult coloration depending on how far in the change progression the specimen currently is. I think you may be in for quite a waiting game.
--Brian

Cichlidgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2016, 12:08 AM   #18
victorcan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlidgeek View Post
Victorcan,
I've been told the exact opposite.......that it may take a year or more to change to adult coloration depending on how far in the change progression the specimen currently is. I think you may be in for quite a waiting game.
--Brian
I kind of figured as much. He does have the band around his eyes but he still has shades of that koran angel look through his body. He had fin disease lymphosystis but has made a complete recovery in the last 3 months which is abig relief 😅 Overall he is beautiful but i do prefer the look of a mature angel so guess ill keep fattening him up he eats 4-5 times a day , and yes i know i feed him heavy but its what feeds my corals lol..

Anyone have one of these guys and watched / timed the change? Ill

Unread 03/08/2016, 10:05 AM   #19
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

I have two adults that I raised from juveniles. The total change took around 6 months. One I bought when it was beginning the change, it seemed to actually regress for a while then went ahead and changed. I think it regressed because I put it in with another juvenile. That being said, they both have full adult colors now.

Baby pics:

Changing:

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2016, 11:05 AM   #20
fabjr
Registered Member

Pinnatus,

Quote:
I have two adults that I raised from juveniles. The total change took around 6 months.
What size are the two emperors now?
How long have you had them?
Have you had any aggression or other compatibility problems between them?

I first saw a juvenile emperor angel when I was diving on a tilla in the Maldives. I thought it was the most beautiful fish I had ever seen. I spent hundreds of dives thereafter hoping to see another. I never did. Then one day in a live fish store, I could not believe my eyes. There in an aquarium...I was looking at a beautiful blue small angel with its white rings.

I was stunned.

And you have a pair! They are beautiful. Congratulations on your success with them.

Fabjr

Unread 03/08/2016, 11:06 AM   #21
victorcan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnatus View Post
I have two adults that I raised from juveniles. The total change took around 6 months. One I bought when it was beginning the change, it seemed to actually regress for a while then went ahead and changed. I think it regressed because I put it in with another juvenile. That being said, they both have full adult colors now.

Baby pics:

Changing:

Wow great information and Documentation totally have hope and optimism now from what Ive been reading even after the change they will continue to enhance over their lifetime or at least up to 5-7 years.. but the initial adult pattern is what Im hoping for.. Thanks again for the pics and timeframes

Unread 03/08/2016, 11:57 AM   #22
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabjr View Post
Pinnatus,

What size are the two emperors now?
How long have you had them?
Have you had any aggression or other compatibility problems between them?

I first saw a juvenile emperor angel when I was diving on a tilla in the Maldives. I thought it was the most beautiful fish I had ever seen. I spent hundreds of dives thereafter hoping to see another. I never did. Then one day in a live fish store, I could not believe my eyes. There in an aquarium...I was looking at a beautiful blue small angel with its white rings.

I was stunned.

And you have a pair! They are beautiful. Congratulations on your success with them.

Fabjr
I would guess they around 8" and 9" now maybe. I have had them around 3 to 3 1/2 years now. I got the smaller one first and maybe 4 months later got the larger. Somewhere around here I have a thread that documented the change over a six month period one month at a time. They don't really hang out together much, but don't seem to fight either. The larger of the two grunts at the other fish all the time. You can hear it from across the room. He is grouchy. But aside from that, all is peaceful in the tank.

They must have come from different parts of the world, because the smaller is growing a filament on its dorsal fin, while the larger does not.

Here is an old video, when one had mostly changed and the other is still a juvenile:

Last edited by pinnatus; 03/08/2016 at 12:08 PM.
Unread 03/10/2016, 12:32 AM   #23
victorcan
Registered Member

Just looking at the time stamp on those photos it looks like 2 years from changing to adult colors? theres a 2 year gap in there with no pics? any pics in 2014 ?

Unread 03/10/2016, 08:05 AM   #24
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

The change took place over about 6 months. Sure, I have pics from 2014.

Unread 03/10/2016, 01:52 PM   #25
victorcan
Registered Member

ahhhh yes the illustrious white face