Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/05/2017, 04:27 PM   #1
fishnugget
Registered Member

Re setting up Reef Question

I am re setting up my reef. I Have live sand and dry rock. Does anyone know if I can install live sand & Dry rock with 5 inches of salt water until I can make or have delivered the 180 gallons I need. This will keep the live sand wet.

fishnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Blue spot
Registered Member

You may want to get some form of circulation in their. Check out the beginning of my thread when I set up in the same way. Water went stagnant and the smell was something else .

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 06:28 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Not sure the details about your "live sand" but most of it has sat on shelves for quite a while.. whats another couple days..

but yes.. you can keep it wet if you want with some saltwater until you get more..
best if you can get a powerhead in the water just to get a bit of circulation in there but not absolutely needed..

Unread 11/06/2017, 02:30 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that you should have a powerhead in the water. Otherwise, the bacteria might consume all the oxygen, which is going to create various toxins, and possibly a bad smell. I'd add circulation and a heater if I were try to keep reef organisms of any kind going, but I agree that bagged live sand probably doesn't have all that much in it.