Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2016, 05:52 AM   #201
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLefty3106 View Post
I will post a pic of the impeller later when I'm back home. The pump does nothing at all. The Impeller appears to be In perfect condition and the controller seems to be working fine also.
Like others said, it probably needs a good vinegar soak (hopefully it will cure it). That or citric acid soak.. You probably can't see what's making it stick.. Hopefully that's all..

DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2016, 08:23 AM   #202
dotkat77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLefty3106 View Post
Well I guess I'm one of the unfortunate ones my pump died out of nowhere. Impeller is fine and there is nothing jammed inside, it just stopped working. I purchased it 15 months ago but started using it 11 months ago, so I'm out of warranty. Loved the performance but now I'm reluctant to buy a replacement pump in fear it will happen again. Also can't think of what other skimmer is comparable without having to spend 1k.
My pump has died on me after 13 months. I have sm161, so i opted for the alternative replacement pump which is Jebao DCT 4000 pump. It works perfect for the fraction of the price skimz has quoted me.

dotkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2016, 10:49 PM   #203
horseplay
Registered Member

I have the SM 201 skimmer about 18 months. Fantastic skimmer granted I haven't use many different ones. The only problem is the wire from the pump has cracked/crumbled in one place where it enters the skimmer body exposing the inner wire. I have been quite careful handling the skimmer. I used some epoxy to seal it for now but I can't decided whether I should buy a replacement pump, which is not cheap. Because it might just have the same problem. It's a design issue that happens to some other pump where the plastic wire cover age prematurely. What are your thoughts? Is there any other replacement pump.

Also the pump seems to be a little noisier than before I wonder if the propeller is going to go, after reading some of the problems with propellers.

horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2016, 11:09 AM   #204
Snah
Registered Member

DC Pump Failure Again

This is the second time my DC pump has failed. The first time was within a month of the warranty expiring and the pump was repaired although I had to cover the shipping costs.

This repaired pump without an extended warranty has failed again, within 4 months of the repair and I have been told by the supplier and manufacturer that I must pay for a replacement pump.

I am currently sourcing an alternate pump as I have no faith in the Skimz DC pump range. Based the products unreliability I regret getting my SM 203.

Snah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2016, 01:09 PM   #205
LuckyLefty3106
Registered Member

Same thing happened to me but another member mentioned in the comments above that he was using a jebao dct4000 on a smaller skimmer so that lead me to look at the jebao dct 6000 that my friend was using for a return pump. I took it apart and the impeller and impeller guard all fit perfect and pump was the same exact size just a different color housing. So I ordered one off amazon for $78. Waiting for it to be delivered. Will let you know how it goes but in the end I think I'm going to get a bubble king.

LuckyLefty3106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2016, 01:15 PM   #206
LuckyLefty3106
Registered Member

Btw I also have a sm203

LuckyLefty3106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2016, 07:10 PM   #207
Eel-byte
Premium Member

My sm123 is skimming nicely

Eel-byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2016, 08:40 PM   #208
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

I have a brand new Oval DC sv203 sitting in a new 40b sump I just finished, hopefully I get it up and running this weekend. Skimmer was on sale the other week at BRS, saved about $65. I'm excited.

Unread 01/29/2016, 04:16 AM   #209
HMCJBK
Registered Member

ok, well i ended up taking the feed for this off that was coming from my bio-pellets, had a few start to get past the filter and into the skimmer, so now it is being feed directly off a manifold on my return pump and is actually running better now.

HMCJBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2016, 10:04 PM   #210
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
I have a brand new Oval DC sv203 sitting in a new 40b sump I just finished, hopefully I get it up and running this weekend. Skimmer was on sale the other week at BRS, saved about $65. I'm excited.
Skimmer has only been running about 24hrs. It's foaming like crazy already and pulling some crap, but man the amount of micro bubbles is ridiculous. I'll give it a solid month of use before I pull the plug, just not to thrilled about the bubble issue.

Unread 01/31/2016, 11:20 PM   #211
Eel-byte
Premium Member

Quote:
Skimmer has only been running about 24hrs. It's foaming like crazy already and pulling some crap, but man the amount of micro bubbles is ridiculous. I'll give it a solid month of use before I pull the plug, just not to thrilled about the bubble issue.
All skimmers will do this until they break in. Mine will do this even after giving it a vinegar bath until it slimes up again.

Eel-byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2016, 08:20 AM   #212
Natural Blue
Registered Member

Quote:
I keep reading comments like this but I've had my Skimz SN143 running over a week now and I'm having a really hard time dialing this thing in. I thought I had it yesterday it was foaming up good but would never break over the top edge of the cone in the cup, even after 9 hours while I was at work and multiple adjustments when I got home. When it would break over it was spilling over to quickly.

I did a water change yesterday and started it up. Had the bubbles in the neck of the skimmer half way between the trim piece and bottom of the cup and then closed the air valve to bring the bubbles up to the bottom of the cup. The air valve is about a 1/4 to 3/8 turn opened from the closed position. I went to bed and then this morning everything was exactly as I left it, no foaming or anything with the bubbles right at the bottom of the cup.

I'm about to give up on this thing I've adjusted it so much with no success. Can anyone give me some tips or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Natural Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 02:38 AM   #213
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Blue View Post
I keep reading comments like this but I've had my Skimz SN143 running over a week now and I'm having a really hard time dialing this thing in. I thought I had it yesterday it was foaming up good but would never break over the top edge of the cone in the cup, even after 9 hours while I was at work and multiple adjustments when I got home. When it would break over it was spilling over to quickly.

I did a water change yesterday and started it up. Had the bubbles in the neck of the skimmer half way between the trim piece and bottom of the cup and then closed the air valve to bring the bubbles up to the bottom of the cup. The air valve is about a 1/4 to 3/8 turn opened from the closed position. I went to bed and then this morning everything was exactly as I left it, no foaming or anything with the bubbles right at the bottom of the cup.

I'm about to give up on this thing I've adjusted it so much with no success. Can anyone give me some tips or tell me what I'm doing wrong?
What speed do you have the pump at? I saw your video from the other thread.. You might want to post it here also.. From the 203 I had, I did have to turn the speed down.. But I will say that your bubbles in the body don't look quite white enough(like it's not producing a lot of bubbles)..

One way I messed around with recently, and it worked well, was after reading a post I this thread from someone that said they beta for the skimmers.. The first step is to open my gate all the way.. This drops the water level completely down.. Then, close the air valves(I have a 251, so I have 2 valves, but same applies to single valves) until the water level begins rising in the body, and then back off slightly, and it will stabilize.. Then, I close my gate gradually until I have small bubbles throughout the neck.. Usually, this will give a break point between one quarter and half way up into the collection cup..

Usually, for my skim, that's very near to the color and consistency I like. But that should put you somewhere in the ball park..

Unread 02/08/2016, 03:10 AM   #214
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
What speed do you have the pump at? I saw your video from the other thread.. You might want to post it here also.. From the 203 I had, I did have to turn the speed down.. But I will say that your bubbles in the body don't look quite white enough(like it's not producing a lot of bubbles)..

One way I messed around with recently, and it worked well, was after reading a post I this thread from someone that said they beta for the skimmers.. The first step is to open my gate all the way.. This drops the water level completely down.. Then, close the air valves(I have a 251, so I have 2 valves, but same applies to single valves) until the water level begins rising in the body, and then back off slightly, and it will stabilize.. Then, I close my gate gradually until I have small bubbles throughout the neck.. Usually, this will give a break point between one quarter and half way up into the collection cup..

Usually, for my skim, that's very near to the color and consistency I like. But that should put you somewhere in the ball park..

You might check the venturi my girlfriend's 143 the venturi gets clog all the time needing to be clean out.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 09:28 AM   #215
Natural Blue
Registered Member

Quote:

Here is the video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZIUPKNx_Rk

The pump speed is set on 7 of the 8 speed adjustments.

Unread 02/08/2016, 09:29 AM   #216
Natural Blue
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
You might check the venturi my girlfriend's 143 the venturi gets clog all the time needing to be clean out.
I took it out of the sump Friday and disassembled the entire thing. Cant pull the venturi out but I could see it and was able to spin it with my finger to see it wasn't clogged and intact.

Unread 02/08/2016, 11:25 AM   #217
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Blue View Post
Here is the video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZIUPKNx_Rk

The pump speed is set on 7 of the 8 speed adjustments.
Hmmnnn, try and drop it(the speed) down to about 6.. Then, try that tuning method I advised.. It's easier with the flow turned up, but from what brs told me about my 203, the motors can be a bit too powerful, therefore not taking a good bite out of three water.. And I don't know the depth of the 143, but usually, for the phrase I've had(given, they are larger models), but they always said 8.5 to 9.5 inches..

But, I would try the adjustment with the air control valve first.. With the gate all the way open.. And you will see the water start to rise.. Then, just back off the air valve a little.. Then, start closing your gate valve.. And at that point, you may have to turn the speed up, maybe not..

But it looks to me(from your video) like, it's trying to build foam, but maybe either it's too low(water level in the body), so foam production is slow, or it's just maybe going through too fast.. But I err on too low as far as the water and bubble level..

And the venturi he was talking about was the air line interface.. Where you attach the air hose.. Sometimes those clog, reducing the amount of air that can be ingested.. Have you checked that to make sure it's good and round and unclogged on the inside?

Last edited by DamonG; 02/08/2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: I
Unread 02/08/2016, 11:37 AM   #218
Natural Blue
Registered Member

Quote:
Hmmnnn, try and drop it(the speed) down to about 6.. Then, try that tuning method I advised.. It's easier with the flow turned up, but from what brs told me about my 203, the motors can be a bit too powerful, therefore not taking a good bite out of three water.. And I don't know the depth of the 143, but usually, for the phrase I've had(given, they are larger models), but they always said 8.5 to 9.5 inches..

But, I would try the adjustment with the air control valve first.. With the gate all the way open.. And you will see the water start to rise.. Then, just back off the air valve a little.. Then, start closing your gate valve.. And at that point, you may have to turn the speed up, maybe not..

But it looks to me(from your video) like, it's trying to build foam, but maybe either it's too low(water level in the body), so foam production is slow, or it's just maybe going through too fast.. But I err on too low as far as the water and bubble level..

And the venturi he was talking about was the air line interface.. Where you attach the air hose.. Sometimes those clog, reducing the amount of air that can be ingested.. Have you checked that to make sure it's good and round and unclogged on the inside?
Skimz says water height of 7-9 inches so I'm right in the middle. Gotcha, on the venturi, I did pull the airline on Friday when I disassembled and it's all clear.

I'm gonna drop by the house in a bit at lunch and I'll try lowering the pump speed a little.

Unread 02/08/2016, 11:46 AM   #219
DamonG
Registered Member

Oh.. And just thought of this.. As goofy as it sounds, you know, with the gate valve, the adjustment is opposite.. You turn it to the left to raise the water level, and to the right to lower it.. I just thought I'd throw that in there because when I first set mine up, it the me off a little..

Unread 02/08/2016, 01:37 PM   #220
Scorpius
Stick Head

Quote:
Oh.. And just thought of this.. As goofy as it sounds, you know, with the gate valve, the adjustment is opposite.. You turn it to the left to raise the water level, and to the right to lower it.. I just thought I'd throw that in there because when I first set mine up, it the me off a little..
Counter clockwise lowers the gate valve keeping more water in the skimmer. Clockwise raises the gate valve letting more water out of the skimmer thus lowering the overall water inside the skimmer.

Unread 02/08/2016, 01:51 PM   #221
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Counter clockwise lowers the gate valve keeping more water in the skimmer. Clockwise raises the gate valve letting more water out of the skimmer thus lowering the overall water inside the skimmer.
Results are still the same.. Left raises the water level, right lowers the water level.. We're saying the exact same thing..

Unread 02/08/2016, 07:03 PM   #222
Reeftub
Registered Member

Mine wouldn't produce anything for a while like yours but my tank was just set up and everything was new so it had nothing really to pull. How long has the tank been up and is that the correct size skimmer for the tank? How much is in the tank fish and coral? This has a lot to do with if your going to skim a lot or not.

Reeftub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 07:38 PM   #223
Natural Blue
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeftub View Post
Mine wouldn't produce anything for a while like yours but my tank was just set up and everything was new so it had nothing really to pull. How long has the tank been up and is that the correct size skimmer for the tank? How much is in the tank fish and coral? This has a lot to do with if your going to skim a lot or not.
Im thinking this part of the problem. Just added livestock about two weeks ago, a pair of black ice clowns, starry blenny, 6 snails, and some GSP.

I did empty what was in the collection cup, clean, and dial the skimz down to power level 6 of 8 at lunch time. Tonight, at the moment it appears that it's actually foaming more than before. I'll give it until the morning and update.

Unread 02/08/2016, 08:06 PM   #224
Reeftub
Registered Member

Sounds like we found the problem. The little fish you put hardly poop enough to make a dark foam and will only pull out a little as they poop and pee. As you add more fish and corals and feed more you will see it get better as mine has. Be patient as your not stocked enough to keep a good dirty foam head.

Reeftub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 10:00 PM   #225
Natural Blue
Registered Member

I thought that may be the case but kept seeing videos and comments of people setting one up on a new cycling tank and already pulling skim so it made me wonder if mine was bad.

I think it's already doing a little better with the lower pump speed.

Not the best quality video from an iPhone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lYe...ature=youtu.be