Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2017, 05:23 PM   #1
RVAPix
Registered Member

I have a sick clown fish and I'm not sure what to do

I have had my tomato clown for about 2 years after having the whole setup given to me by my brother. I did a 25% water change and scrubbed the tank last night and noticed that he had a small "fuzzy" growth on his side behind his fin. He has been swimming and eating normally. I checked on him this morning and it had spread closer towards his back. I just got home from work and it has spread even more. I was told I should NOT medicate for about 2 days to allow the systems biology to do its thing. And after the 2 days to do another partial water change and add melafix. I have never had to deal with a sick fish, and I feel like waiting 2 days is too long at the rate it's spreading. I don't know what I should do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I should add: the clown is the only fish in the tank and I have had the water tested which was fine.

RVAPix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Percula9
Registered Member

Melafix will not work.Your fish looks like it has clown fish disease also known as Brooklynella.It kills fast unless treated.Treatment with a fresh water bath and then quarantined and treated with formalin.Who ever told you not to medicate doesn't know what they're talking about.I hope your fish is still alive.

Percula9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 01:18 PM   #3
MMacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percula9 View Post
Melafix will not work.Your fish looks like it has clown fish disease also known as Brooklynella.It kills fast unless treated.Treatment with a fresh water bath and then quarantined and treated with formalin.Who ever told you not to medicate doesn't know what they're talking about.I hope your fish is still alive.
+1
I would dip in methyline blue and treat with malachite green in a seperate quarantine tank followed by 3-4 24 hour treatments of prazipro.

Unread 01/20/2017, 01:54 PM   #4
Percula9
Registered Member

Prazipro is for flukes,tapeworms type parisites.It will have no effect on Brooklynella.Look up treatment for this disease.

Percula9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Set up a plain bare tank with filtration, aeration and heater, light not necessary, no carbon black in the filter (use floss). Measure the water carefully, because dosage depends on accurate water volume. Draw a fill line on this hospital tank to keep it that way. Do the recommended treatment for brook. And cross your fingers. this disease will not wait.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 03:55 PM   #6
MMacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percula9 View Post
Prazipro is for flukes,tapeworms type parisites.It will have no effect on Brooklynella.Look up treatment for this disease.
I know...
I recommend to use it to treat any underlying diseases that the fish might have since it doesn't seem like it was quarantine properly.

Unread 01/20/2017, 04:50 PM   #7
RVAPix
Registered Member

Thank you so much for the replies. I will go out now and get some methyline blue and pray that it helps. I've never had a fish get sick before so this is all new. The melafix stopped the spreading, but the area looks much worse so I knew something wasn't right. I just hope I can save him.

RVAPix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick, tomato clown, white fuzzy growths