Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2018, 01:57 PM   #3201
BonesCJ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
That would be a fun thread: "Show us your most hideous temporary setup"!
I have many times seen "Show us your Ghetto setups" in the DIY section

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon Green Garden O Macros
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 02:02 PM   #3202
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ah ha! I knew it's been done already. Thanks JZinCo! I look forward to looking through that one!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 12:54 PM   #3203
JZinCO
Registered Member

Well I finally did it. I made a build/aquarium log thread.
Guess I better get on it!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2665639

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 05:39 PM   #3204
taricha
Registered Member

Michael, are you still doing seagrass? Still mostly Caribbean themed? Still similar philosophy? Then I don't think a new thread is required.
I mean you certainly CAN, I just don't think you NEED to.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 02:37 PM   #3205
vlangel
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Michael Hoaster;25338555]Thanks, vlangel!

It's really not that big a deal. The tank will look pretty much the same as before. No big changes, really. More like several small changes that need to get done, and I need to take it down to do them. As I said, some things that bugged me have just been piling up, so I think this is the best way forward.

2018-01-26_06-07-16 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Looking at your tank and subsea's inspired me to make some changes in the seahorse tank, (hopefully not to their detriment).
I loved the idea of a DSB area and I was tired of my tank looking so sterile. Hopefully I have achieved a good balance of natural and clean (as in pathogenic bacteria).

Last edited by vlangel; 01/26/2018 at 07:52 PM.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 07:54 PM   #3206
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, vlangel!

It's really not that big a deal. The tank will look pretty much the same as before. No big changes, really. More like several small changes that need to get done, and I need to take it down to do them. As I said, some things that bugged me have just been piling up, so I think this is the best way forward.

I'll post the system changes shortly.
2018-01-26_06-07-16 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Unread 01/27/2018, 08:28 AM   #3207
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Curious, what is that blue thing?

This is such a clean looking tank! One thing I would add is something tall. It does look like the gorgonian(s) could serve that purpose if you let it get tall. Otherwise, some type of rock spire would really complete the aesthetic. Please know I'm not criticizing (this tank is beautiful), just thinking out loud as it were.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 10:45 AM   #3208
JZinCO
Registered Member

I too thought about your aquascaping, but I was distracted by the beauty of the individual rocks and some of your coral.
Do you have a thread? I'd like to pick your brain

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 12:54 PM   #3209
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Curious, what is that blue thing?

This is such a clean looking tank! One thing I would add is something tall. It does look like the gorgonian(s) could serve that purpose if you let it get tall. Otherwise, some type of rock spire would really complete the aesthetic. Please know I'm not criticizing (this tank is beautiful), just thinking out loud as it were.
Thanks McPuff, I appreciate the kind words and your honest thoughts. Actually my hubby said the same thing so I tried to add a tall dead staghorn skeleton. It was just too big and clunky. This morning I added some caulerpa prolifera in the right back corner. It is stuck to a dead gorg skeleton (to keep it confined) and it grows pretty fast. It will be tall in no time and the scape could use some green so killing 2 birds.

O yeah, the blue thing is my diy seahorse feeder, ha ha! Seahorses are so messy and one way to control the mess is to train them to come to a feeder. They need hitches while they are eating so I cut up a rubbery dog toy for hitches. I needed the feeder to be up high or else my piggy peppermint shrimp eat most of the mysis. Since its up high I can use a turkey baster to put their food in and keep my hands dry too.

Last edited by vlangel; 01/27/2018 at 01:15 PM.
Unread 01/27/2018, 01:09 PM   #3210
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZinCO View Post
I too thought about your aquascaping, but I was distracted by the beauty of the individual rocks and some of your coral.
Do you have a thread? I'd like to pick your brain
Thank you very much JZ. Because of following Micheal's thread for quite some time and reading some of subsea's posts, I was inspired to make a big change to my tank. It had been a bb to be cleaner for my seahorses. I loved and I hated it. I loved that it was easy to keep clean for the ponies, but the sterile appearance finally got to me, especially as I loved Michael's tank. I do not have a build thread on RC because the seahorse and pipefish folks here just don't seem to follow build threads. Anyway, here is what my tank looked like last week before the big change.
2018-01-17_03-05-59 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

Unread 01/28/2018, 04:55 AM   #3211
Subsea
Registered Member

Nice. What is the red macro that is at top/right on the right side of tank.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 06:51 AM   #3212
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
Nice. What is the red macro that is at top/right on the right side of tank.
It has the same appearance as a macro I got 3-4 years ago that I was told was red titan. It is a redder shade than the original which was more maroon. Also it grows in a plating fashion and it grows very fast. It makes a great macro for pod life.

Unread 01/29/2018, 08:54 AM   #3213
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I love the new look vlangel!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 09:01 PM   #3214
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
I love the new look vlangel!
Thank you Chasmodes! I would really like to see if there are FL or Caribbean blennies that are compatible with seahorses, ones that wont try to scrape algae off the ponies.

Unread 01/30/2018, 07:24 AM   #3215
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Thank you Chasmodes! I would really like to see if there are FL or Caribbean blennies that are compatible with seahorses, ones that wont try to scrape algae off the ponies.
There are a few good ones:

- roughhead blenny (Acanthemblemaria aspera), similar to a barnacle blenny. A plankton and pods feeder. Small size, about 2"

- goldline blenny (Malacoctenus aurolineatus), eats pods, small size, about 2-3"

- Caribbean sailfin blenny, pod eater, about 3"

- saddled blenny, pod eater, about 1.5-2"

- yellowface pikeblenny (Chaenopsis limbaughi), carnivore (small crustaceans, worms and small fish, maybe baby seahorses), about 5".

None of these blennies forage on algae and likely wouldn't harm seahorses.

Michael, what do you think about the sailfin blenny for vlangel? You're pretty familiar with them...

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 01/31/2018, 01:49 PM   #3216
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yep, sailfin blennies should work with seahorses. Since they are basically bottom feeders, they shouldn’t interfere at feeding time. They’re easily sexable too, with females lighter, males darker. They’re not particularly showy, and easily blend in, so they may not appeal, depending on what you’re looking for.

Unread 01/31/2018, 02:30 PM   #3217
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Glad you're back Michael. How are you and your tank doing? Any progress on your plan, or with planning the plan?

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/31/2018, 03:42 PM   #3218
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Technically I’m not back. I’m out right now. I’ll be back in couple days. I still have big plans for the plan. But I’m still planning. It’s nice to get away and go blank for awhile before getting full nutcase...I’m getting excited to git after it!

Unread 01/31/2018, 04:19 PM   #3219
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Technically I’m not back. I’m out right now. I’ll be back in couple days. I still have big plans for the plan. But I’m still planning. It’s nice to get away and go blank for awhile before getting full nutcase...I’m getting excited to git after it!
OK, I'll be patient.

Hope you're having a good time!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/31/2018, 08:29 PM   #3220
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Yep, sailfin blennies should work with seahorses. Since they are basically bottom feeders, they shouldn’t interfere at feeding time. They’re easily sexable too, with females lighter, males darker. They’re not particularly showy, and easily blend in, so they may not appeal, depending on what you’re looking for.
Thanks Michael. I actually don't care about being showy, I care more about personality and being able to get them to eat. Also is it easy to get a male/female pair?

PS and I am sorry for sidetracking your thread with all of my posts. I think I will start my own thread here in the macro algae section.

Unread 01/31/2018, 09:55 PM   #3221
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I’d say they have a medium personality. KP Aqutics will sex them for you. Mine ate right away. You’re welcome to post here anytime. I will say it’s nice to have a thread to call home.

Unread 02/01/2018, 08:48 AM   #3222
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
KP Aqutics will sex them for you. Mine ate right away.
vlangel, as an FYI, all of the species that I mentioned are on their web page.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 02/01/2018, 11:00 AM   #3223
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
vlangel, as an FYI, all of the species that I mentioned are on their web page.
Thanks, I will definitely check all the blennies out. I might order some gorgs and ricordia from them also.

Unread 02/01/2018, 03:52 PM   #3224
taricha
Registered Member

I hope KP is back to full strength by the spring.
The hurricane definitely affected that area - shut them down entirely for a while, and their availability seems low right now.

Edit: oh and my favorite thing about my last order is the 3 kinds of photo gorgs have all grown well in my tank. My gorg success had been really mixed before.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 05:09 PM   #3225
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Agreed. They have been out of almost everything for awhile now. Hope they bounce back!

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 02/03/2018 at 11:20 AM.

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass