Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2016, 07:20 PM   #5001
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossa81 View Post
Hey huma, quick question. I was re-reading some of the older stuff and I'm just wondering how did you develop a reationship with the guys from LA.
yeah Ted, tell us...was it 'Match.com'?

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2016, 10:26 PM   #5002
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post

No no I hear all the kids are using tinder these days....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/17/2016, 09:17 AM   #5003
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post

geez Alfie, now everybody knows, , the secret is out! ugh, makes me , lol....

in addition to the above, the truth is probably closer to-we ask questions, (and, lol, in my pathetic case, I usually then ask them the same questions over again because I forgot or did not understand their reply) pester, bother, make general nuisances, and pitas out of ourselves, and we buy fish!

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2016, 09:18 AM   #5004
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
No no I hear all the kids are using tinder these days....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
..lol..

Unread 04/22/2016, 03:56 PM   #5005
humaguy
Premium Member

Unread 04/22/2016, 04:10 PM   #5006
humaguy
Premium Member

Unread 04/22/2016, 04:18 PM   #5007
humaguy
Premium Member

Unread 04/22/2016, 06:10 PM   #5008
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossa81 View Post
Hey huma, quick question. I was re-reading some of the older stuff and I'm just wondering how did you develop a reationship with the guys from LA.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
By buying all the cool stuff! Kevin Kohen is the only one that matters at LA/DD, so he is the guy your referring to.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2016, 06:12 PM   #5009
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
So Jealous!!! Is that the Gem hybrid in the pic above? The blue is from something else or is that actually there?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 04/23/2016, 11:23 AM   #5010
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
So Jealous!!! Is that the Gem hybrid in the pic above? The blue is from something else or is that actually there?
that is the hybrid...there is a slight blueish hue to her white but I think she is also reflecting some of the blue from the moonlights...

Unread 05/02/2016, 06:12 AM   #5011
humaguy
Premium Member

Unread 05/02/2016, 09:52 AM   #5012
johno4
Registered Member

Quote:

That mini sub is going to be so cool to drive around in your tank!!!!!

johno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 05:58 PM   #5013
MonsterFishBook
Registered Member

I need to get one of those for when I get my green moray. Would be a cool shot!

MonsterFishBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 04:52 PM   #5014
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:

Very cool Ted. Where did you get it? How does it do in flow areas?

Unread 05/03/2016, 05:09 PM   #5015
MonsterFishBook
Registered Member

Quote:
Very cool Ted. Where did you get it? How does it do in flow areas?
Looks like the same one here. Sells for $150. I couldn't find one anywhere else, although I didn't check eBay.

MonsterFishBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2016, 09:18 AM   #5016
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterFishBook View Post
Looks like the same one here. Sells for $150. I couldn't find one anywhere else, although I didn't check eBay.
Thanks for the link. My favorite on there under gadgets has to be the Shouting Vase "holds your anger" ha

Unread 05/04/2016, 08:01 PM   #5017
LamboBoy
Registered Member

Gorgeous hybrid Angel... BTW if anyone here gets this submarine camera, can you please let us know how was the video and picture quality. Like to get one but need to see a good video or picture of it. The sample video in that link was not great. Thanks.....

Last edited by LamboBoy; 05/04/2016 at 08:20 PM.
LamboBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 11:07 AM   #5018
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamboBoy View Post
Gorgeous hybrid Angel... BTW if anyone here gets this submarine camera, can you please let us know how was the video and picture quality. Like to get one but need to see a good video or picture of it. The sample video in that link was not great. Thanks.....
Will have to wait on Ted to answer this one, I would imagine shipping will take weeks

Unread 05/05/2016, 05:59 PM   #5019
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
I need to get one of those for when I get my green moray. Would be a cool shot!
yes, you do!

Unread 05/05/2016, 06:00 PM   #5020
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
yeah, I got it from the site direct in Japan...will look for name...fun little toy..

Unread 05/05/2016, 06:00 PM   #5021
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link. My favorite on there under gadgets has to be the Shouting Vase "holds your anger" ha
lol, they have crazy stuff for sale in Japan!

Unread 05/05/2016, 06:02 PM   #5022
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamboBoy View Post
it is okay, will post something this weekend..fish need to get used to it...the feeding basket does help...the salt will kill it at some point...I have no great expectations, but fun..weird to see myself from inside the tank looking out...

Unread 05/05/2016, 06:04 PM   #5023
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Will have to wait on Ted to answer this one, I would imagine shipping will take weeks
sorry, missed this...best thing is- it shipped from amazon Japan..they supposedly shipped on Sat, May 28th- from Japan, lol, I got it, Sat, May 28th at noon!

Unread 05/05/2016, 06:18 PM   #5024
humaguy
Premium Member

just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...
all it took was a single rhinecanthus hybrid...
thanks Barnett, and thanks for delivering it to my door!
see you soon!

the write-up from another site, by boy genius, Joe Rowlett or Joe Fish...
RVS Fishworld never ceases to amaze with some of the unique piscine treasures they haul up from the Philippines. Featured here are a pair of one-of-a-kind catches that warrant discussion, as these unusual specimens represent some extraordinarily rare aberrations to rather common species.

The semicircular markings are vaguely reminescent of L. lunulata, though the similarities are likely atavistic.
The semicircular markings are vaguely reminiscent of L. lunula, though the similarities are likely atavistic.
The most exciting of the bunch is this Rhinecanthus triggerfish. We know this genus primarily for the familiar Humahuma or Picasso Trigger, but in total there are a half-dozen other species, most of which enter the aquarium trade on occasion and some of which (e.g. R. lunula, R. cinereus) go for a hefty price. The fish in question doesn’t appear to belong to any of the recognized species, and it’s all but certain that this isn’t some newly discovered species, so we next need to ask whether this might be a hybrid.

The most likely culprits for such an interspecies pairing are the Blackbelly Triggerfish (R. verrucosus), the Wedge-tail Triggerfish (R. rectangularis) and the aforementioned Picasso Triggerfish (R. aculeatus). All three range throughout the Pacific, and the only other species found here, R. abyssus, is a distinctively elongated fish known only from three specimens. When we examine these three species, it seems clear that the Wedge-tail has nothing to do with our fish, leaving us with the likely parents being a R. verrucosus and R. aculeatus. Still, very little about this individual’s patterning hints at a clear relationship to the Picasso’s characteristic markings, which could argue for this merely being an aberrant specimen of the Blackbelly Triggerfish. Ultimately, genetic analysis is the final arbiter on such matters.

This koi damsel was collected in the same area...pretty cool!

Also by Joe Rowlett/Joe Fish...
The Dascyllus damselfish seen here is another oddball, showing the same sort of koi-like patterns that often leads to exorbitant prices in more desirable groups. There have been Koi Coral Beauty Angelfish, Koi Scopas Tangs, Koi Passer Angelfish, and the famous inbred koi population of the Queen Angelfish endemic to St. Paul’s Rock in the Central Atlantic…. but this might be the first koi damselfish on record. It’s hard to say whether this is a hybrid or just a severe chromatic aberration.

I’d lean towards the latter scenario, but it’d be hard to rule out this being the hybrid of two widespread Indo-Pacific species, the Three-spot Damselfish (D. trimaculatus) and the Reticulated Damselfish (D. reticulatus). Of course, there’s less of a market for an aggressive species of inexpensive damselfish than there is for the other known koi aberrations, so it’s hard to say how much a specimen like this is worth.

Last edited by humaguy; 05/05/2016 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added info
Unread 05/06/2016, 05:03 PM   #5025
humaguy
Premium Member

These are such great reads, phil is og...