Unread 12/30/2015, 12:28 PM   #1
lance1337
Registered Member

Powder blue tang compatibility

My reef is a 265 (85x25x30).

Current livestock is:

1. Hippo tang.
2. Royal gramma.
3. (2) Clownfish black & white female, orange & white male.
4. Skunk cleaner shrimp.

The 2 Clownfish and the hippo are always together.

Will the powder blue work in my system?

lance1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Taahirs
Registered Member

I would say yes

However making sure your tank is ws free will greatly increase your odds of keeping it successfully.

Taahirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 01:35 PM   #3
Genera
Blink and you're dead.

Might quarrel with the P. hepatus

Current Tank Info: n/a
Genera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 01:57 PM   #4
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genera View Post
Might quarrel with the P. hepatus
This. Powder Blues are an extremely aggressive fish.
Also please QT this fish! I hope that you have QT'ed all of your fish as PBT's are very susceptible to crypto.

Unread 12/30/2015, 02:10 PM   #5
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

imo, yes; however, you will most likely be unable to add other tangs in the future.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 02:27 PM   #6
lance1337
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taahirs View Post
I would say yes

However making sure your tank is ws free will greatly increase your odds of keeping it successfully.
"ws"?

Unread 12/30/2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Taahirs
Registered Member

Ws and cripto both mean marine ich

Taahirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 02:51 PM   #8
lance1337
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taahirs View Post
Ws and cripto both mean marine ich
Ah, okay.

Unread 12/30/2015, 04:37 PM   #9
lance1337
Registered Member

Guess I'm giving it a go. This powder blue has already been quarantined from a trusted lfs where I get most of my fish. It's a little smaller than the hippo tang. Decently priced as well at $59, most stores in this area want $90+.

Unread 12/30/2015, 08:20 PM   #10
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Bogue Chitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 08:39 PM   #11
ilikefish34
Registered Member

I think that should work just fine... my Hippo and PBT, along with a Yellow, Purple and Kole together in a 6' 180 gallon aquarium for several years without any problems. The PBT was the last of the bunch to be added and was the smallest and I wonder how much of his aggression was quelled by the ruler of the tank--an Emperor Angel.

The only thing that would change my mind is dependent on what, if any, other future fish you want. While the price sounds great, it may make sense to add the fish at a later time.

And I'll definitely be another vote for the fish going through a QT process regardless of what the LFS has done and would continue for at least another 6 weeks before adding it to the DT. Keep in mind that even if the LFS has done everything to perfection, that the fish needs to be observed for a month to see what, if anything, appears since some disease and parasites can be masked by different QT methods... and that month is on the low end. Personally, I haven't seen any $59 PBT last long enough at the LFS for potential problems to expose themselves.

Good Luck
Mike

ilikefish34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2015, 09:57 PM   #12
lance1337
Registered Member

Thanks for all the input.

I acclimated him to the tank and once I put him in the opposite side of the tank as the others, he swam straight into the Lions den with the hippo, black/white & Orange/white clowns. They let him in and didn't seem to bother him too much. Hope it all works out. We shall see. Just can't believe he swam straight there into highly guarded territory when he had numerous other places to go....

Unread 12/31/2015, 08:03 PM   #13
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

Sometimes tangs do just that, like they are asking for trouble. Usually they get it, based on how mine did. But after about a week they are good friends.

Unread 12/31/2015, 10:26 PM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Hah, none of my tangs are 'good friends' ...... more like 'wary indifference'.

Hope it works out for the OP. Skipping QT makes me queasy even for fish sourced from a 'trusted' source. Assuming all prior fish were also so treated makes me think ich may well be present. Hopefully not, but you'll know soon enough with a PB. One of my faves incidentally, but incompatible with my Achilles unfortunately.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2016, 02:23 PM   #15
Shivsreef
Registered Member

A few years ago in my room old tank I had a hippo and powder blue and the powder blue would harass anything new added to the tank however I used the mirror trick and I also stuck pictures of powder blue tangs to the aquarium glass and I could add anything including a harem of Achilles tangs

Unread 01/01/2016, 02:32 PM   #16
lance1337
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivsreef View Post
A few years ago in my room old tank I had a hippo and powder blue and the powder blue would harass anything new added to the tank however I used the mirror trick and I also stuck pictures of powder blue tangs to the aquarium glass and I could add anything including a harem of Achilles tangs
Lol, nice.

Unread 01/01/2016, 08:22 PM   #17
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

Well that's a good way to do it.

Unread 01/03/2016, 07:55 AM   #18
carrots
Registered Member

Last time I had a Hippo and Powder Blue together my hippo was too aggressive of a eater. Preventing the PB from getting enough to eat. Had to feed at opposite ends of tank. After 2 months gave Hippo away to make mine & the PB lives easier. She quickly fattened up & lived for 13 years. Beautiful fish. Best of luck with yours.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2019, 05:21 PM   #19
saltcraig
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrots View Post
Last time I had a Hippo and Powder Blue together my hippo was too aggressive of a eater. Preventing the PB from getting enough to eat. Had to feed at opposite ends of tank. After 2 months gave Hippo away to make mine & the PB lives easier. She quickly fattened up & lived for 13 years. Beautiful fish. Best of luck with yours.
Nice!

Current Tank Info: 125g Now mixed reef (recently a Fowlr)
saltcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2019, 10:21 PM   #20
OrionN
Moved on

I always have PBT in my tank. I think they are the most beautiful of the tangs. They are aggressive but not much more than Purple or Yellow. With all tangs, I always feed by broadcast food in the current and the food go everywhere. I have two or three feeding station where I feed Nori. When I feed them clam/oyster on the half shells, I always added two at opposite of the tank.
I don't find tangs hard to keep, especially PBT, but then I am a veteran reefkeeper of 30+ years.
Below are pictures and video of my PBT. I got him when he was just about 2-2.5 inches, emaciated and full of Ich. Only slightly larger than a mid size Flame angel. He was in a 65 gal and grew to 5-6 inches in 11 months (actually 10 months and 3 weeks. I moved him to my 320 DT about 3 weeks ago.
You won't have problem adding a PBT in your tank. You can also add another tang in addition to the PBT. I would add the PBT last of the tangs. Keep a mirror handy, it will have the new tangs settle by divert attention of any aggressive fish.

Video of my small PBT

Picture of my emaciated PBT on 4/22/2018

Picture of my PBT now in a 320 DT on 3/15/2019

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PBT2018042201.jpg (72.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg PBT2019031501.jpg (53.0 KB, 91 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2019, 09:28 AM   #21
acesq
Registered Member

Great job on him Minh. He's beautiful.

Unread 03/20/2019, 12:52 AM   #22
jay2525
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I always have PBT in my tank. I think they are the most beautiful of the tangs. They are aggressive but not much more than Purple or Yellow. With all tangs, I always feed by broadcast food in the current and the food go everywhere. I have two or three feeding station where I feed Nori. When I feed them clam/oyster on the half shells, I always added two at opposite of the tank.
I don't find tangs hard to keep, especially PBT, but then I am a veteran reefkeeper of 30+ years.
Below are pictures and video of my PBT. I got him when he was just about 2-2.5 inches, emaciated and full of Ich. Only slightly larger than a mid size Flame angel. He was in a 65 gal and grew to 5-6 inches in 11 months (actually 10 months and 3 weeks. I moved him to my 320 DT about 3 weeks ago.
You won't have problem adding a PBT in your tank. You can also add another tang in addition to the PBT. I would add the PBT last of the tangs. Keep a mirror handy, it will have the new tangs settle by divert attention of any aggressive fish.

Video of my small PBT

Picture of my emaciated PBT on 4/22/2018

Picture of my PBT now in a 320 DT on 3/15/2019
looks incredible.how did you deal with the ich??

jay2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 05:32 AM   #23
OrionN
Moved on

Ich just fizzle out and resolve when I added to my tank. Not a problem. IMO, nothing to back this up scientifically, a diverse healthy live sand bed will consume Ich tomites when they drop off the fish, interrupted Ich cycle. I NEVER have problem with ich in my tank, even when I add a fish full of Ich into it.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2019, 05:04 PM   #24
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Ich just fizzle out and resolve when I added to my tank. Not a problem. IMO, nothing to back this up scientifically, a diverse healthy live sand bed will consume Ich tomites when they drop off the fish, interrupted Ich cycle. I NEVER have problem with ich in my tank, even when I add a fish full of Ich into it.
Interesting. I've been wondering about this myself.

Current Tank Info: 125g LPS, SPS, and a few softies
Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote