Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2019, 10:41 PM   #576
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Did you order one of the giganteas LA had yesterday?
Be prepared to treat it!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Yes. It will get the most rigorous QT. The new anemone won’t go in the tank unless it’s 110% healthy and ready.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 10:47 PM   #577
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I was tempted to order one as well, but the last one I got of those needed treatment and bleached completely. So I rather passed and wait until AC gets them again..

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 10:56 PM   #578
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
I was tempted to order one as well, but the last one I got of those needed treatment and bleached completely. So I rather passed and wait until AC gets them again..

I know what you mean. I wasn’t too eager to buy one myself.
I’ll have QT ready and Cipro. There’s no way the gig is going in the tank near Ritteri unless I’m absolutely positive it’s healthy.

Unread 09/25/2019, 02:06 PM   #579
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

I paired the two males from Pairs 1 & 2.
I successfully paired them in a tank that was new to both of them. Prior to that I introduced the smaller male to the larger one where he was already established and the latter did not like the former one bit. As I moved them both to a new setting they began to accept each other. After 3 weeks of pairing I moved them back to the main tank where they share the Ritteri anemone. However, the smaller male is only allowed there at night to sleep.

Unread 09/25/2019, 02:10 PM   #580
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
I ended up cancelling my gig order. It was going to be too much to deal with at this time. I have a Ritteri that's done well so far but I want a gigantea eventually.

Unread 09/26/2019, 10:10 PM   #581
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

This clown has a Ritteri anemone in the tank but he chose a Bounce Mushroom as an alternate host! He needs to move!

Unread 09/27/2019, 02:31 AM   #582
ThRoewer
Registered Member

He wants a gigantea and the bounce is closer to that than the magnifica.
I actually noticed that some percula, especially the ones with lots of black, are very insistent on a gigantea. Before they accept any other anemone, even others that are natural hosts for percula, they rather cozy up with mushrooms, green star polyps, and the like.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 09/27/2019, 08:32 AM   #583
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

That’s tough. I could get them a second magnifica today that’s twice the size of the current one but no gigantea around.

Unread 09/27/2019, 10:03 AM   #584
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
That’s tough. I could get them a second magnifica today that’s twice the size of the current one but no gigantea around.
If you come across a larger healthy magnifica and don't want it yourself, I still need one for my bicinctus. The small one from DD is suffering too much with such big fish.

Unread 09/28/2019, 11:25 PM   #585
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Ok, things are getting out of control. He's loving the mushroom harder tonight. If this continues I might have to move things around.

Unread 09/29/2019, 07:12 AM   #586
OrionN
Moved on

That bounce is getting big. Time to take out the razor blade.
That is a very nice pair.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2019, 10:11 AM   #587
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
That bounce is getting big. Time to take out the razor blade.
Hopefully soon

Unread 10/09/2019, 02:02 AM   #588
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

My main pair has been living in their magnifica for about 20 days and I have not noticed any loss in black color...yet. I also added two wrasses to my tank several days ago. Since then the smaller clown hangs out by overflow area during the day and sleeps in the anemone at night. He has stopped treating the bounce mushroom as a host anemone.
Finally, the anemone has grown a little bit. Its metallic green oral disc is unique and beautiful. I have not seen many/any others of its kind in that color scheme.

My third wild Onyx has paired with a small ORA bred Ocellaris clownfish.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 10/09/2019 at 02:17 AM.
Unread 10/12/2019, 09:03 PM   #589
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The two Indonesian percula I picked up today:

https://youtu.be/7km8FC-9T74

(and a wild Amphiprion bicolor I found today.)

And these were all the wild percula they had at the store:

https://youtu.be/jZHbytXgt6M

Last edited by ThRoewer; 10/12/2019 at 09:09 PM.
Unread 11/08/2019, 04:08 PM   #590
ronalvio
Registered Member

Does anyone have a pair or single wild onyx for sale please let me know.. ive been looking forever.

ronalvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2019, 12:40 AM   #591
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Hello!

Magnifica 4 months in my care

Running out of room. Upgrade coming soon

Unread 12/13/2019, 01:58 PM   #592
ronalvio
Registered Member

onyx

Hi , Coral Addiction please contact me if you have any onyx percs for sale... Im in the Bay Area. thanks so much!

Unread 12/14/2019, 03:51 AM   #593
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronalvio View Post
Hi , Coral Addiction please contact me if you have any onyx percs for sale... Im in the Bay Area. thanks so much!
If you are in the Bay Area you should check out Aquatic Collection and Neptune frequently. Both get wild onyx percula from time to time. These days those usually come via Bali and most likely origin from Sulawesi (Gulf of Tomini) or West Papua which genetic research found to be a different species than the true percula from PNG/New Britain and the Solomon Islands. But from the looks you can't really tell much of a difference.
Violet Sea in San Jose had wild GBR percula from Australia recently, though those are not onyx and always have just thin black borders.

Unread 12/14/2019, 09:19 AM   #594
ronalvio
Registered Member

Thank you TRower. I frequent those stores quite a bit and its hit and miss. I saw the last batch from Bali- and kick myself for not getting some of them.. 50 buck each. Since then, its been only ORA or SR stuff in the bigger stores. Not really that interested in those...
Something about a wild specimen that is completely beautiful and strong... Ill keep looking but I am also getting into breeding. I have a few pair already but wanted to add a Wild Onyx into the mix... Madhu does get a lot of fish and last time he only had wild occelaris.. his staff could not tell the difference - must be newbies. Ill keep a look out.... the ones Rob had at Neptune were really nice if not really onyx..

Unread 12/14/2019, 03:46 PM   #595
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Lol I had one for $35 a couple of months ago but it’s gone.

Unread 12/15/2019, 12:19 PM   #596
ronalvio
Registered Member

Corals addiction- where did you get your wild from?
I went to Violets they only had percs... once again Madhu thought he had percs...
I went to Neptune... nice large perc but they were just fish sitting for a customer so NFS

Darn...

Unread 12/15/2019, 12:50 PM   #597
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronalvio View Post
Corals addiction- where did you get your wild from?
I went to Violets they only had percs... once again Madhu thought he had percs...
I went to Neptune... nice large perc but they were just fish sitting for a customer so NFS

Darn...
The female was from a fellow reefer's tank. It was formerly a male. The smaller current male came from a fish store in SoCal. Hit up Marinecollectors on Instagram. They had some pairs for $300.

Unread 12/15/2019, 01:48 PM   #598
ronalvio
Registered Member

Thanks I’ll reach out to them

Unread 12/15/2019, 01:52 PM   #599
ronalvio
Registered Member

Also I meant to say he had ocellaris not percs.

Unread 12/23/2019, 10:46 PM   #600
ronalvio
Registered Member

Just picked up this pair from aquatic collection, both lost their mates so snagged them and put them together

The yellow one has a messed up small tail. Like a stubby almost. The black one is perfect. I think c quest perhaps?

Anyhow can someone tell me more about this yellow one? Looks like wild based on wild pattern.

It has personality and felt a little connected to this poor fella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk