Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2019, 09:30 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

How important is ramping lights up and down?

I’m between using the $400 reef breeders or a pair of $70 Hipargo LEDs for a 20 gallon reef. From par testing online I think if I have 2 I’ll be good for anemones and most corals. The only issue I see with the cheaper lights is there’s no timer or ramp up / down setting. Is this something I can be successful without? Are there accessories similar to timers that can ramp the lights up / down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2019, 11:21 PM   #2
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Ramping is just for looks, when I had t5s and then metal halides they just turned on.

The ramp is good IMO for nighttime, so it's less shocking for people in the room that the light just turns off suddenly.

My tanks in my living room and I barely notice the tank get dark since it's over an hour or so of dimming down.

I've heard good things about that light, I might get one on a frag tank I'm thinking of starting

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

It's not important at all. The only benefit is for your viewing, not the inhabitants. Tanks have been run for decades on metal halides and T5s and they are either on or off

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2019, 11:51 AM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Used to use a mh rig that had 2 actinic blues that came on first. They're for color correction, as mh alone can look kind of bilious. Putting them on first and last gave a twilight that was quite nice. On separate timing circuits.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2019, 11:22 AM   #5
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

my only argument for ramp up/down aside from aesthetics, is that sometimes abrupt changes in lighting levels can startle fish. some fish handle this stuff better than others. but there's been more than once that i've accidentally knocked out the power to my lights, and it can sometimes cause a bit of a kerfuffle. now i have a lid, so i'm not concerned about jumpers, but it is something to consider.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2019, 10:55 PM   #6
BrennMun
Registered Member

I currently have the same 2 Hip. lights on my 55 gallon- they are fantastic and can be manually ramped up and down. Amazon has a good deal on them!

BrennMun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2019, 03:17 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

How important is ramping lights up and down?

On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being no importance and 10 extremely important I would say zero.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote