Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2012, 01:38 PM   #26
cmaxwell39
Registered Member

Thanks again for the observation. The yellow band was full yellow when I recieved the fish. It is becoming less and less yellow and more and more white as the fish changes. It was just starting to show hints of white in the first couple of pictures posted (taken a few weeks after recieving the fish, while still in the QT).

Looking at more pictures of angels online, I would agree that it is probably not a hybrid. Thanks for all your input into how to pair it if I decide I would like to try to. At this point, I think I am going to hang onto this fish for a while and see if it grows on me a little more. If I end up keeping it I may try to pair it in the future.

cmaxwell39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2012, 06:27 PM   #27
SaltWaterGuy08
Registered Member

It is a False Personifer Angelfish. scribbled is more blue on the dorsal fins and it has more yellow around the face

SaltWaterGuy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2013, 07:50 PM   #28
nonstopfishies
Registered Member

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but glad I stumbled upon it. I was the guy who started a thread when we bought em trying to get more info. We were the only two with them. I still have mine, which started smaller than yours and has grown slower due to me feeding it a bit less while I was traveling for 4 months. But anyway...

Mine still looks about the same as when I bought it, but I believe has developed a bit of white on the gill plate. I need to get some new pics.

One thing I am wondering is how everyone knows it is a false? At the smaller sizes don't they look exactly like a True? The difference becoming the black stripe on the tail and difference in mask when they become much older. I guess we can't know for sure right now. I've read some good threads discussing this with very knowledgable people like Copps, etc.

Unread 05/03/2013, 03:11 PM   #29
Mrscribbled
Registered Member

Funny they had it listed as a scribbled, I purchased my scribbled at 1 and half inch in size and it had adult colors already.

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

Current Tank Info: 600 FOWLR
Mrscribbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2013, 03:39 PM   #30
angelfish boy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxwell39 View Post
I sent a message to Liveaquaria today. I will let you know what response I get from them. I have no doubt that they will make it right one way or another. They have always treated me very fairly.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the meredithi. While they are a good looking fish, I (actually my wife) was really wanting a scribbled. Since my tank is only a 150 (72x24x20) I don't think I have room for both, and the 14" mature size of the meredithi concerns me a little as well.

On the other hand, this angel gets along great with current tank inhabitants, and doesn't bother any corals (all sps tank). It might be tempting to keep a known entity rather than take a chance on something new.

Suggestions?
Could I buy it from you?

angelfish boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2013, 10:06 AM   #31
nonstopfishies
Registered Member

My personifer is now developing a black line in the tail...so now I am really surprised that I ended up with a different fish than you considering they came from the same batch.

Unread 08/12/2013, 12:47 PM   #32
jnc914
Registered Member

Maybe Copps can chime in here, but I am fairly certain that the False Personifer doesn't get the black stripe in the tail. At least, the pair I used to have never did. However, what you may actually have is a True Personifer; which would be an awesome deal from LiveAquaria DD and would likely cost about the same as the Scribbled juvie.

13 years strictly salty

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon FOWLR Angel dedicated tank
jnc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2013, 03:03 PM   #33
CenterConsole
Registered Member

True personifers get the black stripe in the tail, meredithi do not. Do you know where this fish was collected? Post some pics when you can!

CenterConsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2013, 08:44 PM   #34
nonstopfishies
Registered Member

Well true personifer females are going for 450+ on DD, so sort of a sweet deal. I will post some pics when I can. As far as I know, I agree the black line in the tail is a sure fire way to to know for sure.

Unread 08/20/2013, 09:13 PM   #35
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

black smudge... which my Meredith got at one point... is not the same as a solid black stripe.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2017, 05:23 PM   #36
cmaxwell39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxwell39 View Post
I purchased this fish ~10 months ago from Diver's Den. It was sold as a Scribbled angel (Chaetodontoplus duboulayi). Here is what it looked like at the time of purchase.

The second photo is just for size refrence. The fish was extremely small (1.75"). As it has matured over the last 10 months it has not developed the patterns that I was expecting, and I am now debating whether or not I was sold a Scrbbled or a false personifier ((Chaetodontoplus meredithi). Here are a couple of pictures of this fish today. He is currently 3.5-4".

What can you angel experts tell me about my fish? Thanks in advance.

Funny how things turn out sometimes. I have had this fish for 5+ years now and it is neither a meridithi or a scribbled. It is a true personifier. Snapped this picture with my phone this evening. Hope everyone enjoys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/10/2017, 07:59 PM   #37
randomfishguy85
Registered Member

Its a very pretty fish. I'm glad you kept him

randomfishguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 05:56 PM   #38
cmaxwell39
Registered Member

Thank you. It has been a real treat to watch this fish grow and change over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk