Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2010, 10:38 AM   #276
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

re: LaCl2 & 03

I can't help you with this one, cap- sorry!

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 06:58 PM   #277
Matt_Wandell
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain7359 View Post
Anyone know what the reaction between the LaCl and ozone would be?

I'm currently venturi injecting ozone into a reactor (the partial one on the left with bio balls which then feed into the one on the right with more bio balls then back to the sump) and could tee in before the air inlet to the venuri to dose LaCl into the reactors. These are part of my every other monthly cleaning program and may knock enough precip out as well as give a ton of contact time. they also dump into the sump into a filter sock as a final catch all, so I could go with a 5 or 10 micron sock for final cleaning.

Still want to see one of the sand rigs since they seem to be the best option for larger systems just for comparison.

That is a great question! I can tell you that those reactors, along with the long contact time and the polishing filter sock, would be an ideal way to dose lanthanum...but I have no idea what kind of interaction the La+ and ozone would have in such high concentrations. That's a good question for Craig, William, or Randy.

I'll try and take a photo of our big sand filter dosing system this weekend. The sand filter normally processes something like 900gpm but we've dialed it down to 90gpm for the lanthanum dosing. From past usage we know that it takes a considerable amount of time for the lanthanum to react with phosphate so we don't want to flush it through the filter too fast. We use a peristaltic pump to add the diluted lanthanum to the pressure side of the sand filter pump. We dose the lanthanum at the tail end of the backwash cycle so that the filter is nice and clogged and pulling out the finest particles.

Matt_Wandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 07:02 PM   #278
Matt_Wandell
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkeeper2 View Post
I don't remember what the dosage was when I was using the socks. I tried different dosages at that time. I also noticed that when using the socks I could not get the phophate levels down as far as I liked, no matter how much of how often I dosed. Randy Holmes Farley said that was because there was ultra fine particulate getting through the sock and my test kit would pick that up. When I read about public aquaria using sand filters with lanthanum, I thought of using my vortex diatom filter. It worked like a charm. After a treatment using the diatom filter, my photometer would give a reading of 0. There were also no ill affects from any of my animals.
I charge the filter with diatom powder and superchar norit carbon. I take 50ml of RO/DI and mix it with 10ml of Seaklear pool phosphate remover. I have a syringe pump that injects 4ml an hour of this mixture into the diatom. My total tank volume is about 550gal.
I usually have to clean and charge the filter twice, as it will become clogged with precipitate in about 2-3 hours.
Paul, do you have any photos of this in action? I am beginning to think this would be an ideal solution for our mid size exhibits (500-3,000g range).

When you say you inject the lanthanum into the filter, are you pumping it into the intake side of the filter hose? What kind of flow through the filter do you get when you first turn it on?

Unread 02/18/2010, 09:37 PM   #279
reefkeeper2
Registered Member

I run the tube from the syringe pump into the inlet tube of the diatom filter. The output of the vortex xl filter is approximately 400gal/hr, so for my setup it's just the right speed. I think a diatom pool filter would work better for your larger displays, and would not clog before the job was finished. You might even want to construct your own.
I noticed that you said it takes time for the lanthanum and phosphate to react and you dialed down the sand filter. This has given me an idea. The vortex filter has a small glass bell jar that holds the filter pleat and diatom powder. It must have a volume of only about a gallon or two. Now I am thinking of constructing a reaction chamber for the water and lanthanum to mix in before passing through to the vortex filter. This would provide a little more time for the reaction to take place, and might be more effecient.

Current Tank Info: Envisions 427gal
reefkeeper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 11:11 PM   #280
Matt_Wandell
Moved On

Quote:
I run the tube from the syringe pump into the inlet tube of the diatom filter. The output of the vortex xl filter is approximately 400gal/hr, so for my setup it's just the right speed. I think a diatom pool filter would work better for your larger displays, and would not clog before the job was finished. You might even want to construct your own.
I noticed that you said it takes time for the lanthanum and phosphate to react and you dialed down the sand filter. This has given me an idea. The vortex filter has a small glass bell jar that holds the filter pleat and diatom powder. It must have a volume of only about a gallon or two. Now I am thinking of constructing a reaction chamber for the water and lanthanum to mix in before passing through to the vortex filter. This would provide a little more time for the reaction to take place, and might be more effecient.
Hey Paul,

Your brain and mine must work the same...

We just started dosing lanthanum on small systems and the way we've been doing it is to drip diluted lanthanum into the overflow box and catch the entire tank's contents in a 10 micron filter sock at the sump. This seems inefficient to me as we're prematurely clogging the sock with all the other detritus, fish waste, etc that comes along with the system water. Creating a small side stream seems like it will make for far less maintenance of whatever mechanical filter we choose to use.

I was thinking of building something much like a simple calcium reactor type chamber, with an injection of lanthanum rather than CO2. It needn't be complicated or pressurized, even a 5 gallon bucket would work. The part that matters is a very slow turnover of tank water, say one or two tank turnovers per day, to allow the lanthanum to do its job before getting back into the system. I imagine some lanthanum carbonate will fall out of solution and end up at the bottom of the chamber if the flow through is slow enough. Then I would send the effluent through a 1 micron filter bag, or into a diatom filter if the system were large enough.

One concern with this might be that with such a small volume you could easily bottom out the phosphate and be sending free La+ ions out with the effluent--I would want to regularly test the effluent for phosphate to assure that it was much lower than the incoming water, but not below a certain threshold (say 0.05-0.10 ppm).

Hope this makes sense, thank you for the ideas and help brainstorming!

Unread 02/19/2010, 06:42 AM   #281
mbeast
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Wandell View Post
Hey Paul,

We just started dosing lanthanum on small systems and the way we've been doing it is to drip diluted lanthanum into the overflow box and catch the entire tank's contents in a 10 micron filter sock at the sump. This seems inefficient to me as we're prematurely clogging the sock with all the other detritus, fish waste, etc that comes along with the system water. Creating a small side stream seems like it will make for far less maintenance of whatever mechanical filter we choose to use.

I was thinking of building something much like a simple calcium reactor type chamber, with an injection of lanthanum rather than CO2. It needn't be complicated or pressurized, even a 5 gallon bucket would work. The part that matters is a very slow turnover of tank water, say one or two tank turnovers per day, to allow the lanthanum to do its job before getting back into the system. I imagine some lanthanum carbonate will fall out of solution and end up at the bottom of the chamber if the flow through is slow enough. Then I would send the effluent through a 1 micron filter bag, or into a diatom filter if the system were large enough.

One concern with this might be that with such a small volume you could easily bottom out the phosphate and be sending free La+ ions out with the effluent--I would want to regularly test the effluent for phosphate to assure that it was much lower than the incoming water, but not below a certain threshold (say 0.05-0.10 ppm).

could this problem not be solved by diluting the lanthanum more or dripping less in, might even be worth doubleing the amount of chambers untill Po4 levels are lower.

mbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 06:45 AM   #282
NaClH2Opgh
Moved On

Quote:
Now I am thinking of constructing a reaction chamber for the water and lanthanum to mix in before passing through to the vortex filter. This would provide a little more time for the reaction to take place, and might be more effecient.
Excellent idea!

NaClH2Opgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 08:10 AM   #283
reefdogg1107
Steve

Quote:
Hey Paul,

I am way out my league here, but this is how I learn , but if there are no phosphates left in the system will the Lanthanum bond with more carbonate thus dropping ALK more?

Current Tank Info: Preparing for a 35 hex mini reef..
reefdogg1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 09:11 AM   #284
reefkeeper2
Registered Member

I think what we really need is a lanthanum calculator. This would be an equation that we plug in the water phosphate level, the total tank volume and the percent lanthanum solution being used. It would then give us the approximate amount we would need to dose to do the job. We should ask Randy or another whiz on the chemistry forum to make one up for us so we can better dose our systems and lower the chances of free lanthanum getting into the tank.

Unread 02/19/2010, 09:19 AM   #285
Matt_Wandell
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdogg1107 View Post
I am way out my league here, but this is how I learn , but if there are no phosphates left in the system will the Lanthanum bond with more carbonate thus dropping ALK more?
I think so. But the real concern for me would be getting free La+ ions into the tank itself.

Unread 02/19/2010, 09:36 AM   #286
Matt_Wandell
Moved On

Quote:
I think what we really need is a lanthanum calculator. This would be an equation that we plug in the water phosphate level, the total tank volume and the percent lanthanum solution being used. It would then give us the approximate amount we would need to dose to do the job. We should ask Randy or another whiz on the chemistry forum to make one up for us so we can better dose our systems and lower the chances of free lanthanum getting into the tank.
Yup. I am way out of my element in the chemistry department, but I think that getting a straightforward calculator may be tricky. We know that lanthanum is more effective at higher phosphate levels, so the effect of X amount of lantanum on phosphate would not be linear. In the words of Craig Bingman, "Remember, you don't have a La+3 test kit, you just have 'lack of phosphate' as a proxy for that concentration." In general the test kits available to hobbyists for measuring orthophosphate at a low level (<0.10 ppm) are just not very accurate at all, so I think any calculator based on this variable would likewise not be very robust. In general I think people should be staying away from using lanthanum unless they have either really large or really heavily fed systems with high phosphate levels to deal with.

But I'd love to hear what Randy thinks about the calculator.

Unread 02/19/2010, 09:41 AM   #287
Matt_Wandell
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeast View Post
could this problem not be solved by diluting the lanthanum more or dripping less in, might even be worth doubleing the amount of chambers untill Po4 levels are lower.
Yeah, that's the idea. I'd want to put it in at a very low level over, say, a week with a dosing pump to keep phosphate at some threshhold. 0.10 or 0.20ppm might be good to start with...then scrub the rest with GFO.

Unread 02/19/2010, 10:35 AM   #288
captain7359
Registered Member

Quote:
I was thing the CA reactor or side loop through a reactor would be easiest to control for regular dosing. Continuous or not is the question for our small reefs. I know Gary and TMZ do spot doses to keep their levels in check, which are abviously working well based on their #'s and looks of the tank.

The problem I'm running to with the ractor idea is that the way I see it you want a HIGH turnover of tank system water through it to make sure all the LaCl reacts and precipitates, but a reactor that also allows the precip to settle out allowing collection, but that requires a SLOW flow rate.

The LaCl calculator would be cool, but chemically it doesn't balance in real life, so not sure how umbalanced it gets at the lower levels of phosphate.

captain7359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 10:46 AM   #289
reefkeeper2
Registered Member

A calculator would not be exact, but would at give us an approximation and something to start with. Further, you could use that number conservatively, and make sure you dose well below it. Right now it's just a shot in the dark.

Unread 02/19/2010, 11:03 AM   #290
NaClH2Opgh
Moved On

No calculator for the guinea pigs We are the calculators. OOO he wiped his entire tank out, I guess that was too much...

Unread 02/19/2010, 01:21 PM   #291
superkat
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClH2Opgh View Post
No calculator for the guinea pigs We are the calculators. OOO he wiped his entire tank out, I guess that was too much...

Unread 02/19/2010, 03:49 PM   #292
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
who is this... somebody on RC?

Unread 02/19/2010, 04:28 PM   #293
Matt_Wandell
Moved On

Quote:
I was thing the CA reactor or side loop through a reactor would be easiest to control for regular dosing. Continuous or not is the question for our small reefs. I know Gary and TMZ do spot doses to keep their levels in check, which are abviously working well based on their #'s and looks of the tank.

The problem I'm running to with the ractor idea is that the way I see it you want a HIGH turnover of tank system water through it to make sure all the LaCl reacts and precipitates, but a reactor that also allows the precip to settle out allowing collection, but that requires a SLOW flow rate.

The LaCl calculator would be cool, but chemically it doesn't balance in real life, so not sure how umbalanced it gets at the lower levels of phosphate.
I like it. What I'd like to do is send the water through a loop: pump>lanthanum injection>lanthanum "reactor">1 micron cartridge filter>calcium reactor>GFO>sump

Unread 02/19/2010, 07:04 PM   #294
NaClH2Opgh
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
who is this... somebody on RC?
No that was just a joke saying if somebody wipes their tank out we will know it was too much...

Unread 02/19/2010, 10:38 PM   #295
superkat
Premium Member

Quote:
No that was just a joke saying if somebody wipes their tank out we will know it was too much...
i got it....

Unread 02/20/2010, 05:28 PM   #296
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

I didn't!

but I'm expecting to hear about someone who misused this treatment.
You know... the 'two aspirin are good so the whole bottle must be better' types.

Unread 02/20/2010, 06:32 PM   #297
superkat
Premium Member

i do know the type....lol.

Unread 02/20/2010, 06:32 PM   #298
NaClH2Opgh
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post

but I'm expecting to hear about someone who misused this treatment.
You know... the 'two aspirin are good so the whole bottle must be better' types.
I see that all the time with vodka dosing they just want to jump straight to the max dose and bring their nitrates down tomorrow.

Unread 02/20/2010, 07:45 PM   #299
Gravesj1s
Registered Member

Quote:
Anyone know what the reaction between the LaCl and ozone would be?

Hi cap,
Did you get an answer on the use of 03?
That was one of my questions in a post unanswered in this thread ,too.I dont know about the La+ but cloride can be of concern as I believe it would convert to clorine.Did you ask Randy or Craig?

Wifes got some friends and "concocktions" going on tonight catch this thread tomarrow.half there now.

I'm currently venturi injecting ozone into a reactor (the partial one on the left with bio balls which then feed into the one on the right with more bio balls then back to the sump) and could tee in before the air inlet to the venuri to dose LaCl into the reactors. These are part of my every other monthly cleaning program and may knock enough precip out as well as give a ton of contact time. they also dump into the sump into a filter sock as a final catch all, so I could go with a 5 or 10 micron sock for final cleaning.

Still want to see one of the sand rigs since they seem to be the best option for larger systems just for comparison.

Gravesj1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2010, 11:57 PM   #300
captain7359
Registered Member

nothing on O3 and LaCl yet frrm the pro's.

Chem makes my head hurt, so Randy HF posting on a Q of mine would just make my head just go POP......

I'd like to hear his or others thoughts on the chemical balance of the LaCl reaction since it isn't 1:1 as it should be. What else is reacting in our mix that we aren't expecting?

captain7359 is offline   Reply With Quote