Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2017, 11:31 PM   #1
krisfelix
Registered Member

Starting Red Sea NO3PO4x

I have a 120 mixed reef,with a 40 gal sump. I bought nopox to help control hair algae that started a couple of months ago (when my ro-di stuck on and flooded my home.) the tank recovered after loosing about half of my SPS. The tank has been running for about 3 years, but did upgrade my sump and add safety’s to myATO. Including moving my refrigium to the new sump.
My initial test were surprising
No3 at .25
Po4 at .08
Ph stable between 8-8.2 Dailey (According to apex)
Salinity 1.025
Ca 460
KH ~8.4
Mag 1350
Temp 78.5
Kesslel 360s, I’ve tired cutting the light cycle a bit without success

I dose a 2 part, run bio pellets, a large amount of carbon and a healthy refrugim with Mericle mud. I’m afraid to start the nopox because of low levels of no3 and po4 already, but have hair algae starting to overtake. I also bought the reef energy to try and help the sps color. I’ll try and include pics. What’s your thoughts on starting nopox with the NO3 being so low? Removing bio pellets? Or something else? I have also used some cemipure. I’m at a loss on what to do? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

krisfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 07:22 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You do know that biopellets is basically the same as nopox right? Both are just a carbon source..
And your nutrient levels are just fine but readings can be skewed when there is a bunch of algae present..
How bad of a problem are we talking here? pics?
Don't you have snails/urchin,etc.. to take care of small patches?

Unread 11/11/2017, 12:01 PM   #3
krisfelix
Registered Member

Thanks for replying,
I do understand the two are similar, and with my test results so low it must be doing its job. I’m stumped to why hair algae would still be growing. Good point with the clean-up crew. I did replenish some after the Great flood, but probably could use more. Before I siphoned there was handful size patches on rocks and sand bed, some covering corals. I also added a couple of tangs to help clean it. They don’t seem to like it either. LOL
I guess I’m wondering if the NOPOX could be easier. I’ve only been running bio pellets for about a year now straight. Getting the right balance with amount has been a struggle. I have gone through periods of the red slime too. Is this the algae because of too low of nitrates?
My job keeps me away from home a lot so I don’t see the daily changes and maintenance as I should. I do keep an eye on things through my apex fusion with fairly normal patterns to my PH,ORP,Temp, etc.

My next question would be about increasing the color of the corals. Most seem washed out. This might be because of the low nutrient content? In 15 years of reefing I’ve never had these low leverls.. The picture and video was an after thought after siphoning as much as I could so i dont have a before pic. I intended to dose the Red Sea Energy but it say to keep refrigerated. Any other options? I have dosed ACRO power for about three months straight without noticeable results. Dosing seems to be my go too because of being away so much.
Thank you for the help!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg felix1.jpg (103.3 KB, 25 views)
krisfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 01:55 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

The nutrient level might be low enough to cause the corals to lose some coloration. Unfortunately, the hair algae seems to be outcompeting the corals for the nutrients left in the water column. That's reasonably common. I don't know of an animal that will eat hair algae reliably. Algae comes in many varieties, which probably is part of the problem.

Switching to NOPOX only might help, but that's hard to predict. It's easier to control the amount of carbon being fed to bacteria as compared to bio-pellet, though. I might give it a shot.

Unread 11/11/2017, 03:04 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I'm not seeing a problem in the picture...

The golf ball size mexican turbo snails have always mowed through hair algae for me up until it gets about 1/2" long or so... Then little seems to touch it..

I also don't see many fish in there.. I'd add more fish because more fish = more food = more fish poop/pee = higher nutrients/food in the water = happier corals,etc...

Tags
red sea, red sea marine care