Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/09/2005, 06:04 AM   #226
bigfish_oz
Registered Member

The photo shown is of one of my clowns which I think is A. melanopus or A. frenatus. It is about 1.5 inches long and lives in the BTA (hey it was given to me, ok!).

The other clown is about 3 inches long and does not venture into the BTA but is generally fairly close (6-8 inches except at dinner time).

From time to time, the smaller of the two will swim in front of the other and make as if it is trying to herd the big one into the anemone. The big one will move a little of the way towards the BTA but then move off again. This activity occurs fairly regularly.

Can you explain what is happening here?

What activity should I expect to see if/when they begin bonding?

bigfish_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2005, 12:33 AM   #227
sid700
Registered Member

Youngest spawning age

Hi. I am wondering how old an Ocellaris has to be in order to spawn. Also about what size would this fish be in inches. Thank you.

Current Tank Info: on hold
sid700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2005, 08:04 PM   #228
d_icemand
Registered Member

awesome thread! im a newb and had a question. my tank is fairly new. (24jbj) I picked out a pair of clowns from a group of 10 or so at the lfs. the have been in the tank for a couple of weeks now and i noticed one doing the seisures. i was worried as can be!!!!!! now it seems to be settled down a bit. i was wanting to add another fish to my tank---what would happen if this "mating/pairing" process is still going on???? it will be of another speicies but im not sure what to get. right now they are my only fish, with the clean up crew. is it ok to add another fish (as long as the water parameters are good)?????

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Tech 120RR. ATB Flow Star 1500 return pump. ATB 840 cone skimmer. Sunblaze t5 hood.
d_icemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2005, 08:05 PM   #229
d_icemand
Registered Member

also, i have these Ocellaris clowns but im scared to get an anenome. what else will they enjoy and host in????????

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Tech 120RR. ATB Flow Star 1500 return pump. ATB 840 cone skimmer. Sunblaze t5 hood.
Unread 06/07/2005, 11:41 PM   #230
SuperNerd
Registered Member

SuperNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2005, 11:46 PM   #231
SuperNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by d_icemand
i was wanting to add another fish to my tank---what would happen if this "mating/pairing" process is still going on???? it will be of another speicies but im not sure what to get. right now they are my only fish, with the clean up crew. is it ok to add another fish (as long as the water parameters are good)?????

also, i have these Ocellaris clowns but im scared to get an anenome. what else will they enjoy and host in????????
Something other than more clownfish...such as a neon goby or something that stays very small? By the way my juvenile true perc pair host in Xenia Elongata and "smack" hermit crabs with their tails if they get in between the stalks.
They even snuggle in frilly/"fuzzy" mushrooms but prefer the Xenia.

Unread 06/07/2005, 11:53 PM   #232
SuperNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blorkiemom
Update on those black percs, which I now know for sure are Ocellaris (dang LFS) . . . the fighting seems to be mostly over. It lasted about 3 days. She still rushes at him on occasion. He quivers at her sometimes, she quivers back sometimes. They still don't always hang together, but I hope the worst is over. (fingers crossed) Thanks for helping me out with this!
Sounds like the hierarchy in my household.

Unread 06/07/2005, 11:54 PM   #233
SuperNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Clarkii Clowns
Clarkii clowns have been known in very few occasions to return to male from female.

just my 2 cents
I thought once they went female they coudn't go back

Unread 06/08/2005, 09:11 AM   #234
Atticus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andraska
I thought once they went female they coudn't go back
Clarks are the documented RARE occasion.

Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2005, 01:51 PM   #235
SuperNerd
Registered Member

Atticus,

What the heck is that thing in your gallery? ("You lookin at me????")
That thing makes me want to look under my bed at night.

Unread 06/08/2005, 04:29 PM   #236
Atticus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andraska
Atticus,

What the heck is that thing in your gallery? ("You lookin at me????")
That thing makes me want to look under my bed at night.

LOL, found that in my tank after 5 years of not adding a rock... He decided he wanted to watch the super bowl with us and came out of the rock that evening. It is a ribbon or round worm. Supposedly rare to see one live and grow that long in captivity. He was supposed to go to the Omaha Zoo, but I lost contact with the Reef Exhibit person. So... he has been shacked up with a pair of lesbian tomatoes (don't ask... ) for the past 6 months.

Unread 06/09/2005, 09:34 PM   #237
d_icemand
Registered Member

I wanna hear more about the lesbian tomatoes!

Unread 07/15/2005, 07:31 PM   #238
Dan the sea man
Moved On

I am thinking about purchaseing two juvys . Maroon clownfish. Now i have a rose BTA will they both host it being juvys. and eventually over time when they mature will they pair up?

Dan the sea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2005, 08:25 PM   #239
Atticus
Registered Member

Short answer is yes.

The long answer is that may not be the route you want to go with maroons. I personally prefer to start with an established female and then add a mate when it comes to maroons. Many have had success the other route, but there is more of a chance of a fight for dominance resulting in death of the weaker fish.

Current Tank Info: As many as the wife will allow....
Unread 07/16/2005, 08:23 PM   #240
Dan the sea man
Moved On

Well I have a pretty small tank i am going to be doing this is..... :-/. I have a 10 gallon nano. i know your all thinking are you crazy!!?!!?!?!!? but then again if i buy them as juvys they are small . and fish dont grow big in small tanks...

Unread 07/16/2005, 08:25 PM   #241
SuperNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan the sea man
fish dont grow big in small tanks...
They actually become stunted in growth and die pre-maturely.

Current Tank Info: M-728 Combat Engineer (based on M60 hull). M-3 Lee Medium (British version with squatter).
Unread 07/16/2005, 08:58 PM   #242
Atticus
Registered Member

"They actually become stunted in growth and die pre-maturely."

Only with poor tank maintainance and animal husbandry.

"Well I have a pretty small tank i am going to be doing this is..... :-/. I have a 10 gallon nano. i know your all thinking are you crazy!!?!!?!?!!? but then again if i buy them as juvys they are small . and fish dont grow big in small tanks..."

Yup, you are crazy... You actually are picking 3 things that would be in my top ten of readily available items that I would not put in a 10 gallon... #1 being any anemone. They are just to picky as far as water parameters to be healthy in a small volume of water over a long period of time. The clowns will be "OK" for awhile, but if you take care of them they can and will quickly out grow that tank. My example would be my brother's pet Oscar he got when he was 8. He had it in a 10 gallon and in less than 4 months it could not turn sideways without touching 3 panes of glass... I also would point out my breeding pairs of clowns that are housed in small tanks and the many juvenile fish that are packed like sardines into 10 gallon tanks and still grow even though each has less than 1 cup of water to call their own..

Unread 07/16/2005, 09:03 PM   #243
SuperNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus
They actually become stunted in growth and die pre-maturely...
Only with poor tank maintainance and animal husbandry.
Really?
Okay...then I'm off to get a black tip for my nano!

Current Tank Info: M-728 Combat Engineer (based on M60 hull). M-3 Lee Medium (British version with squatter).
Unread 07/17/2005, 09:17 AM   #244
Dan the sea man
Moved On

I have a small RBTA so he is good for now i know he will outgrow my tank and all of that good stuff but not for a while (only if i feed it once a week). Now i was only thinking 1 maroon but then a very reliable LFS says that i can have 2 maroons in there...I was like really!!?!?! So thats why i am asking here for advice?!?! I was thinking white stripe maroon instead of gold stripe.Heard they dont get as big? I had a white stripe maroon in a 15 nano and he did fine for like 10 months then i went out of town and got food deprived and died. BUT the pint is he never grew big he only stayed about 2 inches long (i bought him about that big)

Unread 07/17/2005, 11:13 AM   #245
Atticus
Registered Member

My WSM female is just under 6 inches...

Current Tank Info: As many as the wife will allow....
Unread 01/21/2006, 03:51 PM   #246
DMK
Registered Member

i'm going tomorrow to try and pair up maroons for my RBTA. they have 6 small, 1-1.5" white strip maroons and 1 larger, 3.5" gold stripe in it's own tank. should i try pairing up 2 of these small ones. there is only a small difference in size between all of them. i did see a few last week that definately looked like they were paired up( hanging together in RBTA, kissing, etc). since then they sold about 1/2, there was like 12-15 then. my RBTA came from this tank too. i'm sure these ones thta looked like pairs are gone. do i have better luck trying to pair up these small ones or should i buy the larger gold stripe and 1 small white stripe? can WS and GS be together?

DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2006, 09:58 PM   #247
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

Are tomatos harder to pair

I have a 2inch tomato clown that has been in my tank for a month and is changing colour to a darker red from orange and lives in my bta.
My lfs has a 1 inch juvenile with two strips (the second fading) Can I buy this fish with a view to them pairing them or should I go for a bigger one?

adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2006, 08:39 AM   #248
sniggib
Registered Member

im thinking of breeding some clownfish so if they spawn how do i raise the young and what do i need to do it??

Unread 03/14/2006, 08:51 AM   #249
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Quote:
Originally posted by sniggib
im thinking of breeding some clownfish so if they spawn how do i raise the young and what do i need to do it??
Start with the Anemones & Clownfish FAQ's page here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=282136

Current Tank Info: Glass 2.5's
traveller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2006, 12:37 PM   #250
NETSECPRO
Registered Member

This is my first post so please bear with me if I am doing this incorrectly.

First I would just like to say that I am glad I found this site. I have been reading posts for the past week or so, and I'm sure I havent seen everything yet.

Anyway here is my question: I have a 29G tank that has been running for a few months now with about 15lbs. of LR and 20 lbs. Base Rock, and about 12 hermit crabs. I recently (a few days ago) purchased a GoldStripe Maroon Clown from a LFS, its only about an inch in length and has Gold in its stripes, so I am assuming that it is close to a year in age. I had no problems acclimating it to the tank and all seems well. Now my wife is jealous and wants to get the maroon a friend. My question is, would it be a problem to go ahead and add another Gold stripe maroon to my tank? I have read all the posts in this forum and I can't really find an answer to this. The fish really ahsn't had too much time to claim a territory and since it's still small it shouldn't be a problem, right? Please let me know your opinions or recommendations on this. Thanks!

NETSECPRO is offline   Reply With Quote