Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Reeferparty
Registered Member

BRS CO2 scrubber media

Who's running one and how long is the media lasting you? So far I'm getting only about 4 days out of the media before ph starts to drop below unsatisfactory. Also is anyone running a solenoid on their setup? If so, how effective is it in prolonging media life and stabilizing ph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reeferparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 10:51 PM   #2
minus9
Registered Member

I run one and I get weeks out of it, but I don't run it 24/7, just at night. My skimmer isn't huge, just a HOB eshopps skimmer.
I removed the intake nozzle and only have the output nozzle connected, which allows for slightly more airflow. If I leave the scrubber attached to my skimmer during the day, my pH would be 8.6 or higher. Make sure you have a tight seal and the media is tightly packed.
Also, make sure your air intake to your skimmer isn't pinched or obstructed. Are you able to draw air from outside? If not, then it can only improve your o2 levels slightly.

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 11:15 PM   #3
Reeferparty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus9 View Post
I run one and I get weeks out of it, but I don't run it 24/7, just at night. My skimmer isn't huge, just a HOB eshopps skimmer.
I removed the intake nozzle and only have the output nozzle connected, which allows for slightly more airflow. If I leave the scrubber attached to my skimmer during the day, my pH would be 8.6 or higher. Make sure you have a tight seal and the media is tightly packed.
Also, make sure your air intake to your skimmer isn't pinched or obstructed. Are you able to draw air from outside? If not, then it can only improve your o2 levels slightly.

I run my skimmer 24/7 and currently the scrubber is also running 24/7. With fresh/good media my PH stays at 8.2-8.4 but the media gets exhausted super fast so I ordered a solenoid to control it.

Unfortunately my tank isn't near a window. Closest window is over 20 feet from the tank and running a line from scrubber/skimmer outside would restrict airflow.

Unread 05/18/2017, 01:00 AM   #4
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferparty View Post
I run my skimmer 24/7 and currently the scrubber is also running 24/7. With fresh/good media my PH stays at 8.2-8.4 but the media gets exhausted super fast so I ordered a solenoid to control it.

Unfortunately my tank isn't near a window. Closest window is over 20 feet from the tank and running a line from scrubber/skimmer outside would restrict airflow.

What solenoid are your referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Bpb
Registered Member

I just started co2 scrubbing on my tank as well. I've had the media going for one week now and the media is nearly exhausted. I'd say its about 3/4 done. I use a TLF 150 reactor for mine. The daytime PH peaks at about 8.3 and it drops to 8.0 at night. I think if I used a solenoid or just manually switched the intake it might help stabilize it some, but keep it lower.

Before using the scrubber my PH would go from about 7.8 at night, to 8.1 during the day. So the swing is about the same, just bumped it up 0.2. Everythign does seem noticeably happier over the last week and I've noticed an increase in ca and alk usage.

I didn't order the BRS media though. at $50 for 9 pounds its just not economical considering how fast it gets exhausted. I ordered a 40 pound 5 gallon jug of it from shopmedvet.com for $90 which seems like a much better deal. This stuff is produced by the ton overseas, I fail to believe that an anesthesia/rebreather soda lime would be somehow of a noticeable inferior quality to one sold for aquarium purposes

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Reeferparty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
What solenoid are your referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In one of the BRS videos about the co2 scrubber they mention this solenoid which you can hook up with the apex to co trip airflow to bypass the scrubber based on your ph probe.

Unread 05/18/2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Reeferparty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
I just started co2 scrubbing on my tank as well. I've had the media going for one week now and the media is nearly exhausted. I'd say its about 3/4 done. I use a TLF 150 reactor for mine. The daytime PH peaks at about 8.3 and it drops to 8.0 at night. I think if I used a solenoid or just manually switched the intake it might help stabilize it some, but keep it lower.

Before using the scrubber my PH would go from about 7.8 at night, to 8.1 during the day. So the swing is about the same, just bumped it up 0.2. Everythign does seem noticeably happier over the last week and I've noticed an increase in ca and alk usage.

I didn't order the BRS media though. at $50 for 9 pounds its just not economical considering how fast it gets exhausted. I ordered a 40 pound 5 gallon jug of it from shopmedvet.com for $90 which seems like a much better deal. This stuff is produced by the ton overseas, I fail to believe that an anesthesia/rebreather soda lime would be somehow of a noticeable inferior quality to one sold for aquarium purposes

Do you mind sending me a pm with the source where to order in 40lb bulk please?

Unread 02/01/2018, 01:11 PM   #8
mjc0760
Registered Member

What about using a 3 way solenoid like this one?
http://www.wicvalve.com/3-8-3-Way-2-...?categoryId=-1
(3/8" 3 Way 2 position Air Directional Control Solenoid Valve)

I'm thinking you would basically plumb it backwards:
"A" (Outlet) = line in from the CO2 Scrubber
"P" (Supply) = line out to the skimmer
"R" (Exhaust) = open / room air

When the solenoid valve is closed, the skimmer would pull air into Port A (from the scrubber) and out of Port P (to the skimmer). When the valve is open, the skimmer would pull air into the Port R (open port / room air).

As long as the solenoid does not require either positive or negative air pressure to operate, would this work?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3V110 Installation Diagram.jpg (58.5 KB, 15 views)
Aqueon 90g RR, Trigger Systems Emerald 34 sump, 2 Radion XR30w G3 PROs, Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer, MaxSpect Gyre XF130 and XF230, Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 Return, Apex Controller, Avast ATO, BRS Media R

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon mixed reef
mjc0760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 03:36 PM   #9
mjc0760
Registered Member

Update on 3 way solenoid valve idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0760 View Post
What about using a 3 way solenoid like this one?
http://www.wicvalve.com/3-8-3-Way-2-...?categoryId=-1
(3/8" 3 Way 2 position Air Directional Control Solenoid Valve)

I'm thinking you would basically plumb it backwards:
"A" (Outlet) = line in from the CO2 Scrubber
"P" (Supply) = line out to the skimmer
"R" (Exhaust) = open / room air

When the solenoid valve is closed, the skimmer would pull air into Port A (from the scrubber) and out of Port P (to the skimmer). When the valve is open, the skimmer would pull air into the Port R (open port / room air).

As long as the solenoid does not require either positive or negative air pressure to operate, would this work?
UPDATE:
I contacted WIC Valve and they said this valve does require 21 PSI to operate. I saw that in the specs on the site, but being hard-headed as I am, thought I'd ask anyway. Search for 3-way continues... uh, valve that is.

Aqueon 90g RR, Trigger Systems Emerald 34 sump, 2 Radion XR30w G3 PROs, Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer, MaxSpect Gyre XF130 and XF230, Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 Return, Apex Controller, Avast ATO, BRS Media R

Unread 02/02/2018, 05:40 PM   #10
swiftvision
Registered Member

My media seems NOT to go bad for awhile??? Like months.

Current Tank Info: 8 Gallon Nano Reef and custom 100G cube reef
swiftvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 10:57 PM   #11
mako61
Registered Member

https://www.shopmedvet.com/product/s...gallon-JOR553B

thats the best deal i have found online

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Midnightt
Registered Member

For those with the BRS scrubber kit....

I had a leftover DI refillable canister and housing. Decided to re purpose it as a scrubber. But, I dont think I'm getting the airflow through the media. The suction line to the skimmer is short. And, the lines are not kinked. When I removed the canister from the housing I can hear the venturi.

The question is does anyone notice a difference in the refillable canister between a DI refillable and the CO2 refillable? I'm thinking I'm not getting enough flow through the housing when the canister is in place. I'm thinking I may need to modify the DI canister but, before I do I wanted to check.

Thanks

Midnightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 02:19 PM   #13
mjc0760
Registered Member

If you are using BRS's "CLEAR REFILLABLE CARTRIDGE FOR DI RESIN" (it's not really clear... opaque really) then I think you are right. I tried using one of those for my GFO reactor and got very little water flow through it. I assume the same problem for air flow.

I use the 10" BRS REACTOR REFILLABLE CARTRIDGE - HARD SHELL for my CO2 scrubber and get good air flow through it. It really is clear too, so you can better see when the media changes color.

Unread 03/08/2018, 03:59 PM   #14
Midnightt
Registered Member

My refillable cartridge came from Buckeye Hydro... When I get home I'm going to take it out and inspect the insides a little better to see if there is more foam or something blocking the air flow.

Midnightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 09:41 AM   #15
gabe145
Registered Member

how important is this? and have you seen increased numbers in your ph?

gabe145 is offline   Reply With Quote