Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Question Bubbles in BRS dosing effluent lines

Hello Reefers! I am setting up right now to start dosing Aquaforest 1,2,3 and I was noticing while priming the lines that I am getting bubbles in them (all 3 effluent lines). I am using the BRS bulkheads that attach to the container lids and basic clear 1/4' tubing in the bottle. Is there something that I am missing? Not sure why/how air is getting in the lines. Any ideas? Do I have some bad dosers? Thanks in advance and Reef On!

-Jon

Volcmreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 07:17 PM   #2
Phixman
Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'I am using the BRS bulkheads that attach to the container lids and basic clear 1/4' tubing in the bottle.'

This is what I would recommend-
Make sure the tubing is properly hooked up to the dosing pumps

Use glasses of water as your reservoirs, make sure the 'in line' is fully submerged in the solution inside the glass of water.

Run the dosing pumps for a few minutes and see if the bubbles go away.

Last edited by Phixman; 03/02/2018 at 07:43 PM.
Phixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixman View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by 'I am using the BRS bulkheads that attach to the container lids and basic clear 1/4' tubing in the bottle.'
BRS bulkheads are white fittings that attach to the lid. Both sides of the fitting are "push" fittings for 1/4' soft tubing. I have one going in from the doser (influent line) and the other attached to the bottom of the fitting that is going into the container itself.

I will try reconnecting the lines and running the pump again. Maybe that's it. I would think that it would be air-tight though...

Unread 03/03/2018, 03:27 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

I think that the air bubbles would go away over time unless the air is entering at the open end of the tubing. I'm assuming that the tubing drips the solution into the tank. Either way, the pumps should be fine.

Unread 03/03/2018, 07:25 PM   #5
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Thanks. I was just a little concerned about dosing the right ml’s due to the bubbles in the line. Have a reefkeeper and run it a certain time based on dosage. I guess I just will have to adjust as I see fit to get the correct ml’s per day. I might just take the bulkheads out of the lid and run the tubing straight into the container to prevent any bubbles.

Unread 03/03/2018, 08:45 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

If the bubbles are entering from the supplement container itself, they might be an issue. I don't what your setup is like, but that'd be unusual for most equipment.

Unread 03/05/2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Thanks Jonathan. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe the dosers have to run for a while before the bubbles disappear? Is there a certain way that you need to "prime" them? Thanks again RC. You guys/gals are great.

Unread 03/05/2018, 07:59 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

I haven't heard of this sort of problem, but I'm not sure how much that actually means. I think the pump would flush the lines during the first dose, dependingo on the length of the line and the size of the dose. Have you watched what happens when the pump runs?

Unread 03/06/2018, 08:44 AM   #9
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:
This

and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS
Tip: By drilling a hole in the removable top on the jugs and purchasing a few 1/4" tank adapter bulkheads and 1/4" clear acrylic tubing will let you connect standard dosing pump tubing directly to the jugs.

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 08:52 AM   #10
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcmreefer View Post
Thanks Jonathan. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe the dosers have to run for a while before the bubbles disappear? Is there a certain way that you need to "prime" them? Thanks again RC. You guys/gals are great.

I'm not using BRS dosers but when my I had my reservoirs about 42" below the dosing pumps I had issues with bubbles getting in the line between dosing container and pump.

Now that they are at same level only issue I have is bubbles getting in the output side... its been frustrating..

My Tanks
Unread 03/06/2018, 11:32 AM   #11
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Exactly Steve. Using regular RO lines instead of the rigid line above though. I think that I am going to try running the stuff tubing that I got with the dosers on the inlet side and see if that makes a difference. Containers are only about 12 inches below the dosers, so that shouldn’t be the issue. We shall see..

Unread 03/06/2018, 11:40 AM   #12
Phixman
Registered Member

Just something you might want to keep in mind, I read somewhere where a guy put his reservoirs above his DOS pumps and it created a siphon and dosed like 1 gallon full of Alk or something.

Phixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 11:55 AM   #13
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Just something you might want to keep in mind, I read somewhere where a guy put his reservoirs above his DOS pumps and it created a siphon and dosed like 1 gallon full of Alk or something.
Wow! Thanks for the tip. Yeah, containers are below the dosers right now and will stay that way. Just find it odd that people use those bulkheads and they allow air in the lines. That is the only location that I can think of where air is introduced. Dosing containers are full

Unread 03/06/2018, 12:05 PM   #14
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Installing 1 now. I will run the input through the top of the container with a fit snug to hold the hose but not air tight using the stiff hose.
Output also stiff hose to the sump.
No connections just straight tubing all the way.

Unread 03/06/2018, 12:20 PM   #15
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Yeah, looks like I am going to have to run straight tubing. Too bad I already drilled holes for the bulkheads. Does anyone know if Aquaforest Component 1,2,3 has to be sealed when dosing? Going with the stiff tubing all the way, I think.

Unread 03/06/2018, 01:18 PM   #16
Steveb
Registered Member

Bubbles in BRS dosing effluent lines

This is mine... hadn’t considered siphoning but i guess that could happen if the rollers weren’t tight.

Its kind of ugly but gets the job done. Originally i was using 1 gal containers hence the long length of rigid tubing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Tanks
Unread 03/06/2018, 01:42 PM   #17
Mohammed
Registered Member

Hi,

Had similar issues with a Jeboa doser. Swapped the airlines for medical grade silicone tubing and problem was resolved. Just ensure the rigid pipes are fitted all the way into the pushfit bulkhead. On the rigid to silicone join my dosing container has small irrigation nipples fitted onto the ro pipes and normal airline sucked in air at this point. Once i swapped to silicone the join is more snug.

Mohammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 04:25 PM   #18
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Thanks Mohammed! Where did you pick up the silicone tubing? Reef shop online?

Unread 03/06/2018, 04:38 PM   #19
Steveb
Registered Member

Usplastics.com is one source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Tanks
Unread 03/08/2018, 01:03 PM   #20
Mohammed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcmreefer View Post
Thanks Mohammed! Where did you pick up the silicone tubing? Reef shop online?
https://************.com/2018/02/16/...irline-tubing/

I got mine from a medical supply place in my country. But i see cobalt aqautics are doing coloured ones. Hope the link works. Reef Builders did a piece on it hope a quick Google search should yield results if link doesn't work.

Mohammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 06:46 AM   #21
dubmaneh
Registered Member

Hopefully you got this figured out but if not, how old are your dosers?

I had the same problem with BRS dosers losing their prime after a few years. After driving myself crazy checking all the connection points, it turned out the internal tubing was old and losing the seal. It looses its elasticity over time and needs to be replaced every so often (I think they recommend annually).

dubmaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 03:10 PM   #22
Volcmreefer
Registered Member

Still have bubbles but they aren’t exiting the effluent lines. I am thinking about switching my tubing to the rigid type to see if it helps. Thanks for the follow up!