Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2018, 07:40 PM   #1
zheka757
Registered Member

Scared to put fish back into display tank!

So i have being a failure in the past year of keeping ick out of my display tank.
did 72 day fishless tank, during that time performed ttm on All my fish. and somehow ick found its way back in. From disappointment transferred all my fish into quarantine tank and they have being in hyposalinity for the past 6 weeks and counting, ran chlorine water into my display tank for a week to kill every possibly live bacteria in it.
Thats all in the past, Here I am now with tank all cycled and ready for fish to be returned. The problem is... just scared to possible have ick somewhere to stay alive in hyposalinity! any advice?

zheka757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2018, 10:11 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

Hyposalinity is tricky to maintain, any error along the way allows ich to survive and multiply. I'm surprised you had issues with the TTM, it is close to 100% effective when conducted correctly. If you have gone 72 days and have seen no signs of ich on your fish in hyposalinity I can't imagine it will pop up again.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

I would also suggest you change where you're getting fish from. I honestly have not seen a case of ich in the last decade. It doesn't manufacture itself: it's an animal, and travels in fish water and on fish. Think of it as like fleas, which come with a dog that's been in some place with fleas.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 08:53 AM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Fish that are strong, well fed and are maintained in a lo ( or no) stress environment will not succumb to the parasite.

Considering where you are now, if they ALL have been eating and living together well for 6 weeks in QT, they can go home after your DT has been recycled. Make sure there is no stress and feed well....this is the key!

In hypo, Ick would start to explode in about 10 days, so 40 days is safe.

72 days would have been long enough to clear your DT. The chorine thing, extreme, but remember your cycle is now gone so this you have to start up again...

Good luck, getting Ick is not a failure but a learning experience, not neccessarily the most fun, but quite satisfying for all the fish you saved.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 10:03 PM   #5
zheka757
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
I would also suggest you change where you're getting fish from. I honestly have not seen a case of ich in the last decade. .
lol where in the world can you find a store that has ick free tanks with all the fish in and out from them weekly.
No one localy here anyways.

zheka757 is offline   Reply With Quote