Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2010, 04:10 PM   #1
chewitback
Registered Member

Lightbulb Making my own live rock... With dolomite limestone

So I got tired of looking at the 40# bags of aragonite lime at the pet stores that run $40 a bag. So I'm thinking about switching to dolomite lime instead. Dolomite seems to be rich in magnesium and other than that, it's seems just like regular carbonate, but with a much lower price tag, if you know where to buy it (I pay $2 per 60lbs bag).
Has anyone ever tried dolomite as a media in their reef or in making their reef rock? I'm interested to hear about anyone's previous findings.

Current Tank Info: 165 (180?) gallon bowfront with ~60gallon sump, 55gallon growout tank with 55 gallon sump underneath it (refugium, live rock, etc). All of the tanks are currently under HO T5 lighting.
chewitback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

None of those will do anything for you tank Chemistry as a substrate, as they will not dissolve at reef pH. And Dolomite is worse that the other two at dissolving at any pH. But any of them are fine to use as a substrate.

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2010, 05:08 PM   #3
chewitback
Registered Member

Well what substrate do you recomend? Right now im just trying to makes happy live sand bed and live rock to build a reef upon in the bowfront I am setting up and making that rock at $0.05 per lbs sure beats $1.00 per lbs

Current Tank Info: 165 (180?) gallon bowfront with ~60gallon sump, 55gallon growout tank with 55 gallon sump underneath it (refugium, live rock, etc). All of the tanks are currently under HO T5 lighting.
Unread 03/22/2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Paul B
Premium Member

Hello there Boomer, nice to see you again.

Quote:
Has anyone ever tried dolomite as a media in their reef or in making their reef rock? I'm interested to hear about anyone's previous findings.
Dolomite has been my substrait for 40 years, no problems yet. Maybe at 41 years something happens.
I agree with Boomer, it does not disolve.

You can see it here

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

Hi Paul

Chew

Well what substrate do you recommend?

What kind of substrate do you want gravel or sand ? It is your choice but most of us prefer oolitic aragonite sand.

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2010, 05:34 PM   #6
chewitback
Registered Member

Well thus far I have just been using crushed oyster shell (50# bags run $3-$7), but the base rock I made from that always looked a bit unnatural, jagged, and strange. So I discovered dolomite lime, and it seemed to be a slightly finer sand than the aragonite I have, and MUCH less expensive. My next concern is figuring out a medium to use for building a custom sump... Acrylic is too expensive, wood rots over time, glass can also be expensive. Flat, corrugated plastic sheets (the kind used in greenhouses) perhaps? You guys are more experienced in this I'm sure. What would be sturdy enough yo hold ~55gallons (48x16x17in) but inexpensive? It's a sump so i don't care if it's clear; just reef safe, sturdy, and inexpensive.

Unread 03/23/2010, 05:07 AM   #7
Paul B
Premium Member

You can get plastic tubs in Home Depot for under five bucks.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aragonite, base rock, dry rock, live rock, sand