Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2015, 08:04 PM   #1
DrawnToBeaches
Registered Member

Wiring led pcb from china

Im curious how easy it would be to wire these things up instead of using star boards and heatsinks which we all oversize for our underrun leds. If it's a pita I'll just do starboard and aluminum tubing but it seems like a great idea for a couple of pendants
http://m.ebay.com/itm/50W-10x5-225-1...386?nav=SEARCH

DrawnToBeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2015, 09:09 PM   #2
geekengineer
Registered Member

I bet it would be much easier if you had one of these that was big enough and some solder paste. Otherwise might be hard to get it all hot enough to solder with a soldering iron duno. I also get a good laugh out of the start of this video. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCGzKDTFBSQ

geekengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2015, 09:10 PM   #3
geekengineer
Registered Member

well might be able to rough it on a ceramic oven or electric oven if your careful duno. I guess that could work.

geekengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2015, 10:24 PM   #4
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawnToBeaches View Post
Im curious how easy it would be to wire these things up instead of using star boards and heatsinks which we all oversize for our underrun leds. If it's a pita I'll just do starboard and aluminum tubing but it seems like a great idea for a couple of pendants
http://m.ebay.com/itm/50W-10x5-225-1...386?nav=SEARCH
doesn't seem like it would be any more different than soldering "egg" diodes to loose stars..which is fairly easy
W/ a good iron, patience and time it would seem to work well even w/ that much surface area. It looks pretty thin.

Only problem I see is the fact it is 10x5 though the image shows a 9x6

Secondly it would be MUCH better if the channels were not paralleled or if they would be just jumper-able at your choice.
I'm guessing cutting the parallel trace wouldn't be too problematic though.
Third it still needs to be heat sinked. There is no way the board could conduct enough heat away at that density..So you really aren't getting ahead there.

as to attachment an electric fry pan and surface mount solder could be used to attach them .

you could choose or not to solder the center ( wouldn't) but use heat sink plaster or similar as a thermal paste for the center..

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2015, 10:35 PM   #5
DrawnToBeaches
Registered Member

Yeah the idea was to solder just the leads and use thermal conductive grease. Will probably go starboard and aluminum tube, I like to weld aluminum so making a decent pendant won't be hard and I can make a decent cooling system that isn't really necessary. May post the build in the future using the epistar 3 watts since it's like 10 for 2 bucks for royal blue and warm white

DrawnToBeaches is offline   Reply With Quote