Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2018, 01:47 PM   #1
Scurry
Registered Member

Syncing AI Hydra26 to Hydra26HD???

So, I was running 2 AI Hydra26's on my 45 gallon reef tank. One of them the fan stopped working and then in turn the lights overheated and began turning off (for cooling) sporadically. I contacted AI and the lights could not be repaired. Since I am out of warranty I had to buy a new unit. Since they don't make the Hydra26 anymore, I had to buy the Hydra26HD. The guy on the phone assured me the lights would look the same. They definitely do not. The light intensity in the colors is waaaaay off. I called back and they basically told me I need to adjust the %'s of each color and eyeball it until they match. Anyone have experience mixing the two different units and syncing up the colors so they match?

Scurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 03:45 PM   #2
GimpyFin
Registered Member

I've used both and they're definitely different between HD and non-HD. The HD version has one less white LED per puck in favor of an extra blue. The blue channels between the 2 models are also slightly different as well. Outside of color differences, the HD models have built-in wifi/web control so they don't pair together with the older models using an AI director or puck controller.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 09:14 AM   #3
Scurry
Registered Member

I'm trying to "eyeball it" as they suggest but the colors are still way off. And the ramp up doesn't seem to function the same way at all either. I have a 3 hour ramp set on both the old on-HD and the new HD. And the old one ramps up nice starting with dark blues and purples (like a moon light) and gradually increases over the 3 hours oil full spectrum. And then in reverse for sunsetting. It slowly and gradually decreases to dark blues and purples at night (like a moon light). The new HD light doesn't seem to be doing this. The whites seem to come on (just not as bright) and then it gets brighter over the 3 hours until full spectrum. But it never seems to have the dark blues and purples like a moon light.

This is very frustrating. I really thought these $400 lights would have lasted more than 2-3 years.

Unread 05/21/2018, 08:41 PM   #4
Jack5746
Registered Member

If nothing else you should have been able to get the parts to either fixit or upgrade it until eco puke bought out AI to destroy the competition.

Jack5746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 04:54 AM   #5
lukaskupasz
Registered Member

Hi everybody. So I decided to buy new light for my 40 gal. Breeder SPS dominated reef tank. I bought 2 - 26 AI Hydra HD. It is a newest version. Im looking for help to set it up. Im really bad with all that technology. I know it is probably easy for most people. O well... I got app on my Samsung and I can find them and turn on with my phone but can't SYNC them and that's where I got stock. Who knows what's next.. Maybe you guys have these lights and could help me? Cant find good link how to set them . Or maybe someone wants to make a few bucks or get couple nice Frags for coming and setting them for me and showing me so I know next time. Let me know, please. I live in Naperville.

lukaskupasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 02:18 PM   #6
Scurry
Registered Member

Officially fully disappointed by AI. I finally got a tech guy on the phone and he could not help me either. There is no rule of thumb to determine how much more powerful the HD is from the non-HD. So eyeballing is the only option but the spectrums will never match perfectly. He even tried to talk me into sending him my perfectly working non-HD light to buy an HD light at a discounted rate. I told him I just spent $800 2 years ago on the original lights and just had to spend $225 to replace it so I'm not interested in spending more money right now. So I guess eyeballing it is gonna have to do.