Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/21/2019, 01:30 PM   #1
Ab129
Registered Member

Temporary tank setup

After a bout with ich my DT has to sit fishless until July 25. I have one fish that I was able to save who just made it through TTM this week. From now on every fish I bring home will go through TTM.
I would like to pick up a few more fish in the next 2 months so that when I am able to finally restock my DT I can start off with 4 or 5 fish instead of just one.
I purchased a 40 Long to keep these fish in after they are finished with TTM to keep them until my DT is ready.
I have some sand and rock that has never been wet that I could put into the 40.
Should I cycle the 40 with just this OR buy a seachem 55 HOB filter OR use all together (sand rock and filter)?
And should I just dose ammonia to 2ppm and let it take its course or use nitrifying bacteria to seed?

Current Tank Info: nitrates 0 SG 1.026, pH 8.1
Ab129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2019, 03:49 PM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

I would use Bio-spira (or similar) to quickly cycle the QT.

A little caution about TTM: It is a GREAT method for treating ich. However, we are living in the age of Marine Velvet Disease which TTM DOES NOT TREAT but may delay symptoms from showing. So, using copper or Chloroquine phosphate has become a "necessary evil" for many of us.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
I would use Bio-spira (or similar) to quickly cycle the QT.

A little caution about TTM: It is a GREAT method for treating ich. However, we are living in the age of Marine Velvet Disease which TTM DOES NOT TREAT but may delay symptoms from showing. So, using copper or Chloroquine phosphate has become a "necessary evil" for many of us.
Oh so true, also, when ready are you going to dump all those fish in the DT?
Are you sure your DT bacterial population can handle the jump from fallow to stocked?

This jump may create another stress point and since you have had Ick, you could start the cycle all over again.

Ick attacks the weak, strong, well fed fish usually can resist.

I would go real slow on the restart starting with 1-2 of the least agressive or least territorial fish and wait a month or so before adding another. Last to go in would of course be the most agressive of your chosen crew.

.....play it safe....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote