Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2015, 10:52 PM   #1176
jason2459
Registered Member

Had to put our first baby shilo down earlier this year due to brain tumors. A shih tzu mix of some kind.

Just picked up this morning Kobe a handsome Golden.

Feel asleep shopping

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 10:53 PM   #1177
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 1
Looked lighter

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 07/05/2015, 06:35 PM   #1178
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 2

Unread 07/06/2015, 08:09 AM   #1179
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Good cleaning job, not too much, not too little. The next week should result in some pretty decent growth. You have a lot of growth in the holes of the screen now, across nearly the entire screen. Very good progress

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2015, 10:12 PM   #1180
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Good cleaning job, not too much, not too little. The next week should result in some pretty decent growth. You have a lot of growth in the holes of the screen now, across nearly the entire screen. Very good progress
Thanks a lot for all the input and help. Means a lot and great guidance.

Day 3

I'm excited to see what the screen will be like after this round on the next cleaning.

Unread 07/07/2015, 08:18 PM   #1181
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 4

Unread 07/08/2015, 08:08 AM   #1182
jijunjbu
Registered Member

Sorry about your house, my grandmother used to live in Timecheck. Man that cleanup was really bad wasn't it. Tanks looking good tho!

jijunjbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2015, 09:16 AM   #1183
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijunjbu View Post
Sorry about your house, my grandmother used to live in Timecheck. Man that cleanup was really bad wasn't it. Tanks looking good tho!
Thank you mister bot thingy.

Unread 07/08/2015, 09:21 AM   #1184
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Hey I just went to look at the start of this thread, and noticed all the photo links are ********'d out. Were those on imugr? I tried copy/pasting the link and replacing the *'s and got a warning, looks like the site was hacked? All those pics gone now? I don't remember seeing that error when I first subscribed to this thread.

Unread 07/08/2015, 09:26 AM   #1185
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey I just went to look at the start of this thread, and noticed all the photo links are ********'d out. Were those on imugr? I tried copy/pasting the link and replacing the *'s and got a warning, looks like the site was hacked? All those pics gone now? I don't remember seeing that error when I first subscribed to this thread.
I had a lot of ******* (t in y pic)urls and google linked pics. I'm not sure what happen to the google links as one day they all just stopped working but I was able to post new pictures. Then reefcentral decided it didn't like *******(t iny pic) urls and blocked those. So, a lot of older pictures are dead now.

Unread 07/08/2015, 09:39 AM   #1186
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

found an answer

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...9#post23606569

Quote:
You need to upload them to a different photo hosting site then they'll work fine. We had to block that site as due to the manner in which they use and recycle URLs pictures of an adult nature kept appearing on here.

Unread 07/08/2015, 09:47 AM   #1187
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Now that would be an interesting mix up.

Unread 07/08/2015, 10:29 AM   #1188
jason2459
Registered Member

Since I got the basic package for the Apex I'll be adding to it a little bit over time. So, for a while I'm using both the reef keeper along side with the apex as I get new modules. First thing I did was get a break out box to hook up my float switch that's in the back external overflow of my display tank. If for some super remote odd reason my bean animal drain setup plugs up and the return keeps going I have a float switch hanging there to shut it off. This would have to be some very extreme situation that has caused the main siphon to plug up, the open channel to plug up, AND the emergency drain to plug up. NOT likely at all.

Since I have the "brain" under the display tank cabinet to start with I wanted to try out Neptune's new AFS which looks like it's a re-branded and modified Lifegard Intelli-Feed Aquarium Fish Feeder. This will replace my current Eheim automatic fish feeder. The Eheim works great and has been reliable over the years. I feed a mix of NLS marine and algae based pellets 3x per day during the day and then at night I feed some kind of meaty foods. The problem is if I don't turn off my return pump a lot of the food gets sucked down to the sump which I don't mind some of it getting down there in fact I like that but not the majority of it. So, with the eheim it's battery powered and that poses a sync issue with the RKL I had controlling the return pump. The time periodically drifts on the Eheim and I have to check it every month and adjust as needed.

So, that's where the AFS comes in as it will be connected and powered natively via the aquabus like all other modules connected to the Apex. There are 2 big complaints though that many people have with the AFS and correspondingly the same 2 main complaints with the Lifegard. Which are that it's very loud and that people can't seem to get the food amount adjusted right or it doesn't feed the same amount consistently often giving to much food. Both are not concerns to me. Shutting down my return pump creates a good loud sucking noise until the siphon breaks and I feed to much already and would rather have that then not enough allowing some left over food to get sucked down to the sump.

Otherwise, I do like the design of the AFS/Lifegard. For one I won't have to change out batteries anymore which I do once a year on the Eheim even if I don't have to just to make sure like changing batteries out on the smoke detector. I'm hoping it's moisture control works as it extends out to feed and retracts back in to seal it off (which is the noisy part). Time will tell on this but didn't see any major complaints by people on that so must work some what. The Eheim if I really fill it up with food gets clumped up by the end from moisture. There's a little tiny fan on the back that runs every time it feeds to help but just isn't enough eventually. I really like that I can now track when it feeds and can track that it happened. I have had in the past the Eheim not work properly when the batteries do go down. Even though I put new batteries in doesn't mean they are good batteries for long. Over the years I've had bad batches of batteries that didn't last very long.

I set this up Monday and so far so good. To be up front about it one of the main issues with noise is justified. It is not quite at all so if that's a big concern I would not recommend this unit. Otherwise it's not any noisier then my return siphoning out. The feed adjustment to me was fine. Two notches in and seems about the same as what I was feeding with the Eheim. If it decides to feed more periodically I'm fine with that but I wont know except on the weekends and even then I don't watch it except the times I happen to catch it.

The programming was fairly simple. I setup a virtual outlet to do the timing and based on the virtual outlet shutdown the return pump, 1 minute 30 seconds later turn on the feed for a single rotation, and then 45 minutes later turn back on the return pump. Right now I have an extension cord run from under my tank plugged into the EB8 that runs down to the basement sump that the RKL plugs into. So, when it shutsdown the return outlet it turns off everything down there. Eventually I'll be able to extend an aqubus cable to another EB8 and other modules down there and have better controls. Like I really just want to turn off the return and skimmer but leave everything else running. But this will be fine for now.

So the programming:

Virtual Outlet:
vfeed_A8
Set OFF
Fallback OFF
If Time 12:00 to 12:01 Then ON
If Time 16:00 to 16:01 Then ON
If Time 20:00 to 20:01 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then ON

Return Pump (and everything in the sump for now)
Return_3_3
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet vfeed_A8 = ON Then OFF
Defer 045:00 Then ON
If DT_Sw1 OPEN Then OFF

Skimmer(eventually will go off with the return)
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Outlet vfeed_A8 = ON Then OFF
Defer 050:00 Then ON
Then some switch logic here too

AFS feeder
Set OFF
Fallback OFF
If Outlet vfeed_A8 = ON Then ON
Defer 001:30 Then ON

Last edited by jason2459; 07/08/2015 at 10:43 AM.
Unread 07/08/2015, 08:06 PM   #1189
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 5

Looking darker thicker

Unread 07/08/2015, 08:36 PM   #1190
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

how many hours/day are you running the scrubber LEDs?

Unread 07/08/2015, 08:44 PM   #1191
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
how many hours/day are you running the scrubber LEDs?
Right now 9 hours and the flow is also cut back.

Edit: and the tape is still over the blues

Unread 07/08/2015, 08:47 PM   #1192
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Go to 12 hrs/day, leave tape on

Unread 07/08/2015, 08:48 PM   #1193
jason2459
Registered Member

Will do.

Edit: set to 11pm to 11am now

Last edited by jason2459; 07/08/2015 at 09:30 PM.
Unread 07/09/2015, 06:48 PM   #1194
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 6

Doesn't seem like 6 days have past already. Glad I'm keeping track with these posts. I would have thought it was day 3 or 4.

Unread 07/10/2015, 11:19 AM   #1195
jason2459
Registered Member

So, looks like pretty much all my images up to page 38 are broken due to t i ny pi c url being replaced with ******* and something also happened to some of my older google images that were linked.

Going to go back and see if I can get them downloaded again and re-uploaded with tapatalk as those images still work.

Unread 07/10/2015, 11:26 AM   #1196
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Photobucket has been good for me for years

Unread 07/10/2015, 01:15 PM   #1197
jason2459
Registered Member

posted this in the wrong thread....

Original setup. Biowheel and eventually a Canister filter, hob refugiun with caulerpa, and CPR hob skimmer.

The flood that took everything we owned and demolished that house

Unread 07/10/2015, 05:05 PM   #1198
jason2459
Registered Member

Sanded down and restained.

Cleaned up old rock

New substrate with a twist using it with a reversed undergravel filter. Thanks to paulb. I still have one of the plates and dolomite in my sump making it a RRUGF

Added some new pukani dry rock before it was common knowledge they leach phosphates like no other. I love the rock but would have soaked it all in lanthanium to help reduce to year long waiting for multiple phases of algaes to pass by. I did learn a lot though.

Some fish I still have from the beginning of the rebuild

The frankenskimmer I modified several times. Feeding into the hob refugium which was perfectly facing a window growing tons of algae.

Unread 07/10/2015, 07:33 PM   #1199
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 7

Looking hairy

Unread 07/11/2015, 05:32 PM   #1200
jason2459
Registered Member

Day 8

Tags
jason's journal