Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Erawbon
Registered Member

Why is my protein skimmer over flowing?

I bought my reef octopus BH1000 HOB skimmer about a month ago and it worked fine for two weeks. Now the fill box fills up with water very quickly to the point where its full 20 minutes after I empty it. Last night the whole skimmer had water to the edge of the box and started to pour over after I tried taking water out. I unplugged it and let it empty and then re plugged it in and it filled to the top again and tried to overflow. HELP?

Erawbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2014, 02:31 PM   #2
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Boil a pot of water on the stove bring the pot over to the skimmer, place the air tube in the pot of water and let the skimmer draw the hot water in this will clean the venturi.

Have you placed anything in the tank lately, epoxy? crazy glue? dechloranator?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2014, 02:35 PM   #3
nathan1986
Registered Member

can you adjust the water height in the skimmer? mine did that when it was new, i had to set the water level high for it to skim and once it broke in i had to lower the water level in the skimmer so it wouldnt over flow. also what moondoggy4 said, your vent tube could be clogged

nathan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Erawbon
Registered Member

You put the water through the air tube? I'm not sure if I understood that right. And how would you adjust the water height?

Erawbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2014, 04:02 PM   #5
moondoggy4
Registered Member

understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erawbon View Post
You put the water through the air tube? I'm not sure if I understood that right. And how would you adjust the water height?
Sorry this is a periodic skimmer matience can you move the air tube to the pot? Put the air tube in the pot and let the skimmer run, it will draw in the water and clean up the salt creep that builds up over time, this is a new skimmer but maybe something got clogged.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2014, 07:03 PM   #6
azjohnny
Registered Member

Quote:
Boil a pot of water on the stove bring the pot over to the skimmer, place the air tube in the pot of water and let the skimmer draw the hot water in this will clean the venturi.
When I have used pinwheel skimmers I would do this on a weekly basis as PM, also remove the volute and inspect for any salt creep, you might have to scrape some salt creep using a small screw driver and soak in vinegar fro a few hours

If the skimmer's foam head ever raises in the neck for no reason it's a sign the air way is getting clogged and with this decrease of air, water processed will increase raising the foam head

azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overflow, protein skimmer