Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2009, 06:42 PM   #1
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

tomini tang size question

How big (length) would one expect a tomini tang to be that you got at 2"(not counting tail) that you have had for 2 and a half years and feed all it will eat??

flyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 07:04 PM   #2
MattL
Registered Member

I don't know... What's it say the maximum reported size is? Take about two-thirds of that.

I've seen them at 5" +/-

Matt

Current Tank Info: 210gal Display Tank, 125gal Sump, 75gal Refugium, 55gal Quarantine Tank, 120gal Frag Tank
MattL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 07:28 PM   #3
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

I only ask as I was just browsing through some old pics, and realized my tomini tang has not hardly grown a bit in length if at all since the following picture happened in july of 06.

Tank was a lovely 100 degrees when I returned from being out of town, and he was the sole survivor out of all corals and fish.

I do believe the fishes growth has been stunted. He has gained lots of girth but he hasnt grown any in length and it is certainly not for lack of food

he was the only guy to swim away from this

Unread 04/11/2009, 08:22 PM   #4
MattL
Registered Member

How big is that tank?

It isn't necessarily the quantity but the quality of food you are feeding. If your tang is malnourished, then yes, it is conceivable that he hasn't grown. Is he really still 2" (do count the tail)? What do you feed him?

I was just discussing with someone about all the health problems stunting can cause, including a shortened lifespan.

Matt

Current Tank Info: 210gal Display Tank, 125gal Sump, 75gal Refugium, 55gal Quarantine Tank, 120gal Frag Tank
Unread 04/11/2009, 09:06 PM   #5
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

its certainly not malnutrition. I have multiple tangs including a powder blue, a chevron and and a naso and they are all grwoing just fine. I feed Rods multiple times daily both the standard mix and the herbivorous blend and have for some time now. My fish are all perfect specimens of health, as is this one....he is just small.

that tank is a 90, and the tank he is in now. he is the only tang in it, the rest are in my 240.

If it isnt related to the cooking incident he is just genetically very small for his species, although I am tending to think being half boiled might do funny things to a guy who survives it

Unread 04/11/2009, 09:24 PM   #6
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

My tomini has been in my 115g 4' tank for 2.5+ years. He's gone from 2" to pushing 5" in that time.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 09:38 PM   #7
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

thanks SD.

So your fish is roughly the same age as mine, is twice as long and even though I do think my tomini, as well as all of my fish have girth to be proud of, is probably 4 times the weight.

When I was comparing those pics today it really did get my attention. Im surprised I didnt realize the extent of it before looking at those pics. Assuming I am not clueless on how to adequately care for my fish there is certainly something up here

I suppose its a good(great) thing the fish is even alive considering, but kind of interesting just the same.

Unread 04/11/2009, 10:43 PM   #8
massman
Marine Fish Wrangler

I there is a chance that you may have a dwarf.
There used to be LFS here that had a purple tang in their display for at least 5 years, and it stayed around 3" the entire time. It was fat, and ate like a pig, had great colouration, and markings, but it never grew.
It was the only tang in a 6x2x2.

massman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Jay03GT
Registered Member.

I had mine for about a year as the only tang in my 120, and he didn't grow much at all. I added a purple about 6 months ago that I thought was about the same size, when I got them together after QT I realized the purple was a good bit bigger. But it triggered a growth spurt in the Tomini, he's grown more in the last few months that in a year+ before that.

Jay03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 10:18 AM   #10
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Good point! I must admit my PBT and tomini are in a growth race...sometimes one is larger, sometimes the other.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 12:25 PM   #11
MattL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
its certainly not malnutrition. I have multiple tangs including a powder blue, a chevron and and a naso and they are all grwoing just fine. I feed Rods multiple times daily both the standard mix and the herbivorous blend and have for some time now. My fish are all perfect specimens of health, as is this one....he is just small.

that tank is a 90, and the tank he is in now. he is the only tang in it, the rest are in my 240.

If it isnt related to the cooking incident he is just genetically very small for his species, although I am tending to think being half boiled might do funny things to a guy who survives it
Maybe he's just small?
Maybe the cooking incident did something?
Maybe something happened to him before or during collection?
Maybe he has a medical condition that prevents him from getting all the nutrients he needs?
Chances are, you'll never know.

If he looks healthy other than for his size, I wouldn't be concerned. It sounds like you're doing everything you can.

I didn't want to insinuate that you weren't feeding your tangs properly, but many times here people fail to provide sufficient nutrition.

He should by fine in the 90 for his entire life, even at full size.

My only other thought is that for some reason, he isn't getting a minor nutrient or growth factor... Still, if he otherwise looks healthy and is in a properly sized tank and has greens to feed on all day, then you've done everything.

Matt

Unread 04/12/2009, 01:58 PM   #12
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by MattL

I didn't want to insinuate that you weren't feeding your tangs properly, but many times here people fail to provide sufficient nutrition.

My only other thought is that for some reason, he isn't getting a minor nutrient or growth factor... Still, if he otherwise looks healthy and is in a properly sized tank and has greens to feed on all day, then you've done everything.

ok, my reponse having to say that it wasnt malnourishment the second time was a little snippy, and you obviously picked it up whcih was of course my intent..........

BUT since we are on the subject, lets make sure I am indeed correct regardless of how the rest of my fish may appear and hwo well I *think* I am taking care of them. I respect your opinion. I didnt pay attention to your sig before, but I will assume you have earned those letters.

I have zero nuisance algae in either of my systems and do not feed any greens, besides what they get in the rods food which I feed them enough of to turn most peoples systems into an algae farm in short time.

I dont think the answer to this question has anything to do with the size of the tomini in this thread, but the answer to that question may certainly be relevant to how well in reality I am taking care of my tangs.

here are the ingredients. What do you think?? Its been nearly two years since I have fed anything else. Is this enough greens?? I really do like the simplicity of my feeding schedule. I simply huck a bunch of food in the tank 2-4 times a day with no rhyme or reason to whether its two or 4 besides the fact whether I am present or not.

http://www.rodsfood.com/herbivore.html

Unread 04/12/2009, 02:37 PM   #13
Mentat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
I only ask as I was just browsing through some old pics, and realized my tomini tang has not hardly grown a bit in length if at all since the following picture happened in july of 06.

Tank was a lovely 100 degrees when I returned from being out of town, and he was the sole survivor out of all corals and fish.

I do believe the fishes growth has been stunted. He has gained lots of girth but he hasnt grown any in length and it is certainly not for lack of food

he was the only guy to swim away from this

Surprising the Tomini made it through that... congratulations for saving it.

Could you amplify the information IRT this event? How long you think fish was exposed to 100 degrees water and what where your intervention steps when disaster was discovered? Also, how the fish responded/reacted the first few days after surviving hot water event.

Yes, lack of growth could be related to something else. However, high-temp. exposure is a known fact in this case and maybe should be examined first.

Mentat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 09:01 PM   #14
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

How long was it exposed to 100 degrees?? not sure, at least a few hours as the lights had been on for 6 by then but I am pretty sure the tank had been at 90+ for the 24 hours previous of the peak temp I saw after I figured out exactly when the house AC was shut off by a housesitter.

The first 24 hours to follow I slowly brought some tank water, new water and him down to mid/high 80's and back to my sual 79-82 swing in the days to follow

as far as how the fish reacted afterwards? no idea. I figured he would die. There were two other possible survivors in much worse shape from that tank in with him in my salvation efforts and I had my hands full with more survivors and possible survivors both fish and coral from the 225 across the room which was 94 when I got home

Unread 04/12/2009, 09:41 PM   #15
slakker187
Registered Member

i've had my tomini for about six months and he has grown an inch and a half. i feed him nori from the grocery store, emerald entree, and once a week i give him one or two spirulina wafers. also i read somewhere that the tomini will get upwards of 7".

slakker187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 02:49 PM   #16
Mentat
Registered Member

Overheating usually wipes out a tank due to oxygen levels falling below minimal requirements in aquarium. Your little Tomini survived not only the high heat, but suffocation, so probably all his body systems were compromised. Heat exposure has been linked to internal organ damage, including growth and reproductive systems. A fish protein known as Heat Shock Protein 70 (HSP70) has been implicated in the protection against the damaging effects of heat stress. Heat shock proteins appear to give fish heat tolerance, but obviously only to a certain temperature when system would fail (heat would affect proteins themselves).

After 2 years at around the same size, don't appear the little guy will grow much more. Based on your information, it's probable the exposure to high temperatures might be involved or resulted on limited growth. Wish the Tomini health and a long life. It would make a great algae eater for smaller tanks.

Mentat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 07:08 PM   #17
massman
Marine Fish Wrangler

Quote:
Originally posted by Mentat
Overheating usually wipes out a tank due to oxygen levels falling below minimal requirements in aquarium. Your little Tomini survived not only the high heat, but suffocation, so probably all his body systems were compromised. Heat exposure has been linked to internal organ damage, including growth and reproductive systems. A fish protein known as Heat Shock Protein 70 (HSP70) has been implicated in the protection against the damaging effects of heat stress. Heat shock proteins appear to give fish heat tolerance, but obviously only to a certain temperature when system would fail (heat would affect proteins themselves).

After 2 years at around the same size, don't appear the little guy will grow much more. Based on your information, it's probable the exposure to high temperatures might be involved or resulted on limited growth. Wish the Tomini health and a long life. It would make a great algae eater for smaller tanks.
Most interesting thanks.

I hope this doesn't mean that people will now overheat the water in QT so they can keep their 3" naso in a 50g tank forever as they have stunted its growth!

massman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 07:28 PM   #18
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

lol

Unread 10/18/2016, 10:35 PM   #19
Jeremy1988
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
My tomini has been in my 115g 4' tank for 2.5+ years. He's gone from 2" to pushing 5" in that time.

Hey there, I have a question off topic here...I have a 90 gallon not many fish in it...but its 3 feet long, 2 feet in depth and 2 feet high...I wanted a Tomini tang...is this feasible in this type of tank with it being more taller than long. It also has plenty of swimming space as well...and when I say feasible I mean long term for when it grows...thanks.

Jeremy1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2016, 10:36 PM   #20
Jeremy1988
Registered Member

Sorry I'm hitchhiking this forum, I have a question off topic here...I have a 90 gallon not many fish in it...but its 3 feet long, 2 feet in depth and 2 feet high...I wanted a Tomini tang...is this feasible in this type of tank with it being more taller than long. It also has plenty of swimming space as well...and when I say feasible I mean long term for when it grows...thanks.

Unread 10/19/2016, 08:52 AM   #21
snorvich
Team RC member

Yes, you are hijacking a very old thread (twice). If the tank is mature, it should be ok. In the future, start your own thread with questions.

Unread 10/19/2016, 10:10 AM   #22
Jeremy1988
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Yes, you are hijacking a very old thread (twice). If the tank is mature, it should be ok. In the future, start your own thread with questions.
Rgr

Unread 10/19/2016, 10:18 AM   #23
Jeremy1988
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
In the future PM me...its not the end of the world the way you made it sound.

Unread 11/25/2017, 05:47 PM   #24
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

This Tomini is still alive and well, and still the exact same size as when I posted this thread 9 1/2 years ago. The fish is at least 13 at this point....

haha Bringing it back from the dead again

Unread 12/17/2017, 09:59 PM   #25
unchin
Registered Member

Very interesting! Thanks for updating!

unchin is offline   Reply With Quote