Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society (SCMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/09/2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Delta_zeta
Moved On

OT: anyone here have dogs?

Does anyone else here have dogs of their own that they take out to the dog parks? We have a dog we rescued when we first moved here from the Pueblo pound and I try to take her to the dog parks or just parks in general to get her out and play with other dogs to help w/ her socialization but I haven't had much of anything but trouble. For starters I haven't been "in-state" much of the whole time we've actually lived here so I haven't had the chance to meet that many people but that aside, I've found a LOT of people that we've run into at the parks have really agressive dogs and they don't control them at all, or when my dog actually *does* finally come around and want to play people freak out b/c they think she's dangerous (she's half wolf half husky and definitely looks the wolf part...but she's more timid than any dog I've ever had). She's only 44 lbs...really on the small side and won't get much bigger b/c she got pregnant at 6 months and the pound neglected to tell us that she was carrying pups when we adopted her so we JUST finished raising 4 puppies and they finally got adopted out....and she really loves to play w/ small dogs but I want her to get used to playing with bigger dogs too.

If anyone wants to make playdates I'd absolutely love it! It'd give me more of a chance to meet some of the local reefers and give Tikaani a chance to meet other dogs.

Delta_zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Deuce67
Registered Member

We have 2 weimers. Every once in a while we will take em to the dog park on Palmer Park. Ill let you know next time we decide to go. Most of the time its a spur of the moment when we go since its hard sometimes to predict the weather.

Deuce67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Delta_zeta
Moved On

I've noticed that CO doesn't exactly have the "nicest" of weather. Everyone told me this was a "dry" state but we had like weeks straight of rain here!! I'm moving back to ID lol

Unread 09/10/2006, 11:30 AM   #4
COreefer
Premium Member

Quote:
I've noticed that CO doesn't exactly have the "nicest" of weather.
Hmmm...this is one on me.

Current Tank Info: 45 and 20G mixed reefs...
COreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Delta_zeta
Moved On

It's just been SOOOO rainy. I can't wait for the winter here actually. I have only lived here since April so I'm excited for the skiing. I'm just not used to all this rain...makes me feel like I'm in Seattle lol

Unread 09/11/2006, 04:51 PM   #6
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Have you been skiing here before? You have a season pass yet? Better get them soon.

No dog but I have a large yard. One of these days i'm going to fence in the property and get a large outside dog.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2006, 07:38 PM   #7
Delta_zeta
Moved On

No season pass yet. Never actually been skiing in CO before. I've been skiing all over Idaho though. I can get a season pass pretty cheap yearround though b/c AJ's military.

I absolutely adore our dog. We *almost* adopted another girl today that was another wolf hybrid at Pikes Peak....accept when I got there to look at her they won't let me see her, said they don't adopt out wolves to the general public (very frustrating on my part b/c we have experience w/ wolves) and they said that she's just going to get put to sleep. Though they said according to her med charts it looked like she might have some neurological damage and is viciously aggressive (in which case I understand if they were actually being truthful) but the likely cause of neuro damage was that she probably had the crud beat out of her by her previous owner being that it's likely that "they" didn't understand how to handle a wolf and that it's not like a dog that's eager to please.
Ok, off my soapbox.

Really though, dogs are a joy...I'm suprised more people on here haven' popped up saying they have a dog or two, or three. Btw Deuce..your weimer in your photo is just gorgeous. They seem to be a very popular breed in this state?? I see them all over around here.

Unread 09/12/2006, 07:36 AM   #8
Joe69
Registered Member

I've got two Pugs, father and son. They are a hoot, the most stubborn dogs I've ever seen. The females are very smart and the males are quite ignorant...... lol

Joe69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2006, 08:26 AM   #9
Crit21
Registered Member

We have 4 dogs (black lab, 2 golden retrievers, great dane--all spayed), a spayed cat, a cockatoo, parakeet, koi pond, and a reef tank. Used to also have 3 cockatiels, 2 canaries and a spayed ferret. BTW, the cockatiel is for sale to anyone with large bird experience. We've "downsized". We don't take the dogs for walks, except an occassional walk around the property, or down the dirt roads and trails in our 'hood. We have 5 acres, and have a large fenced enclosure for them to run around in.

Crit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2006, 04:28 PM   #10
Delta_zeta
Moved On

you have quite the little zoo going on there Dan. Our house was like that for a bit. I was rescuing sugar gliders (which I'm thankfully done with now) for a while and at one time I had 21 gliders dumped on me by various people so I had to neuter all the males, rehabilitate them and find good homes for them all, also a cat, and a dog.

I'd love to have a couple acres! I miss having land but it's just not fesible to have any land seeing as how we'll probably be moved to another post in 2-3 yrs.

Unread 09/12/2006, 07:50 PM   #11
Crit21
Registered Member

I'm hoping that every time we get rid of ont the smell decreases.

I know what yo umean about moving often. I lived in 9 places in 21 years in the AF.

Crit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2006, 08:15 PM   #12
Delta_zeta
Moved On

yeah, the military isn't exactly condusive to "stable" living. They're telling AJ after his next deployment w/ his company that they want him to do special assignment in San An. as a traffic instructor. I'm NOT looking forward to the heat there.

Oh, and the smell...well...we burn LOTS of candles. Our guestroom FINALLY doesn't smell like gliders anymore and he's turned it into his practice room for his guitars. Luckily Tikaani (the dog) doesn't really cause much of a smell.