Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2012, 01:45 PM   #1
privitor
TC.ARK

Who wants to open a fish store?

Who has had a dream of opening a aquarium maintenance or retail/online fish and coral store store?

Where is the line in the sand between loving your hobby and making a career out of it?

My dream is to do finally have a carreer doing something I love to do instead of doing a job I hate. Most people hate their jobs, so why not enjoy going to work everyday.

Many have tried, most have failed...

So what about you? Be honest!

Last edited by privitor; 05/18/2012 at 02:14 PM.
privitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2012, 01:50 PM   #2
sslak
Registered Member

It would be cool...but I don't think I could handle the average retail fish customer. I wouldn't sell any fish because 75% of my customers would be incapable of properly caring for them. (at least in my eyes)

I see fish more like pets, and some customers (the ones with the big bucks) see them as decorations.

I'm also not that swift with SPS yet. Man I just can't get those colors like the guys here on the forums show off all the time. What IS it?!?

For me...a hobby is perfect, it gives me something neat to show my friends when they stop by the house.

Current Tank Info: 58 Oceanic/20g Sump/250w XM 20k/2x39w T5 True Actinic 03/2010 Reef Octopus NW Cone Skimmer
sslak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2012, 01:51 PM   #3
privitor
TC.ARK

First things first...

In other posts I’ve seen, people say new store owners break down there personal tanks because it’s a job now not a love or hobby, I say so what? At home my wife only lets me have a small reef tank. If I open a store I would build a multi hundred gallon tank that I can share with my friends, family, and customers and I would have access to the best equipment. I would still love my tanks so I don’t see a down side to that.

Unlike some reefers that are in Arizona or Green Bay or somewhere in the middle of nowhere, I’m in Florida where there is a demand for tank maintenance and access to nearby suppliers.

Personally I would focus on more of the coral farming and ecological side of the business since this is the future of the hobby.

Also I think the thing to do to succeed in the business is to innovate the market with something new. The companies that fail try to just sell stuff. You will never make it just selling stuff. If I open my business I would design new equipment with my name on it or try cross breeding like ORA did with the white clown fish!

And lastly I have a big problem with my LFS because they are really the only store in tow so their prices are ridiculousness but they can charge what they want because the only real competition is a bit of a drive far away!

But lastly I would want create an equal revenue generating web site to make up for any lacking retail sales.

That’s my plan, what’s yours??

Last edited by privitor; 05/18/2012 at 02:09 PM.
Unread 05/18/2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Psirex
Registered Member

I would love to open up a coral farm.... I would do limited\specialty fish......

Unread 05/18/2012, 02:19 PM   #5
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

not me since it is not a profitable business in almost all cases.

Unread 05/18/2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Allmost
Moved On

gotta keep business and pleasure seperate.

with that said, Im in the process of starting a coral warehouse just for experiments, not sale.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Palting
Registered Member

Nah, not me either. I'd rather do something by a coral reef or coral island. Like be a beach bum with scuba gear . Probably makes as much financial sense, but more fun!!

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 09:48 AM   #8
privitor
TC.ARK

Wow so a few coral farms but no stores. I feel if its ran right it could be a profitable endeavor, but its gonna take more research i guess. NOW a coral island...that would be cool lol

Unread 05/19/2012, 10:13 AM   #9
ajcanale
Registered Member

I wrote a business plan for a saltwater reef exclusive retail store/ website. We all know how many variables there are in the SW aquaria world. It was very difficult... more like impossible... to accurately estimate such variables especially in regards to how they affect overhead, operating expenses, assets, etc... I would think it would be very difficult to convince a traditional business loan source to invest in this.

One would likely have to look into private investors who have a knowledge of the hobby, unless of course there is plenty of cash on hand already... a rarity I would think, considering many of us put most of our extra income into our tanks. lol

But yes... there is that dream

Current Tank Info: 150g Starphire Pensinula SPS
ajcanale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 10:29 AM   #10
spieszak
Registered Member

spend 3 or four weekends doing nothing but accounting problems from random "teach you accounting" web sites... then imagine doing that at least two weekends a month for the rest of eternity, while you wish you were doing water changes... now give an entire rack of tanks ich... and worry about that live stock while your doing so... then add red bugs to your frag tank, and worry about that while your doing so... now, get 6 or 8 third graders to ask you asinine questions while your doing so...and finally, take every little bit of cash/credit you have on hand out of the equation, and realize your out of gas and you have a maintenance appointment in 20 minutes...
Still game? Explain to your single employee (you) how paychecks are going to be late this week.
This list isn't comprehensive, but its part of beginning to think about why owning a business just sucks If I had unlimited capital, I'd be game... I don't, so I'm out....

Unread 05/19/2012, 10:35 AM   #11
sanchoy
Registered Member

It goes back to " if it's work, no matter what it's not fun no more". I have met many LFs owners who used to enjoy the hobby, but now are very stressed at the sales part of the hobby.

Current Tank Info: 250 reef
sanchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 11:14 AM   #12
mm949
Registered Member

i still enjoy the hobby even more than 20yrs ago when i opened my first store....
if you like the work than the hours dont really matter.
it can be a little stressful at times, but remember you are there for your clients first and foremost.
next venture is gonna be a fish/coral farm in the tropics, the midwest is getting old.

Current Tank Info: ...18ft of double sided goodness
mm949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 11:16 AM   #13
ajcanale
Registered Member

Quote:
spend 3 or four weekends doing nothing but accounting problems from random "teach you accounting" web sites... then imagine doing that at least two weekends a month for the rest of eternity...
Hire an accountant who shares the same love for the hobby. (That's what reef clubs are for)

Quote:
now give an entire rack of tanks ich... and worry about that live stock while your doing so...
Prevent this by using proper quarantine methods and responsible husbandry in regards to sufficient and stable water parameters.

Quote:
then add red bugs to your frag tank, and worry about that while your doing so...
Again, Proper quarantine, and have treatments on hand in the case that they slip through (which when dealt with properly will be more or less harmless)

Quote:
now, get 6 or 8 third graders to ask you asinine questions while your doing so
Post a sign outside saying "No third graders allowed"

Quote:
nd finally, take every little bit of cash/credit you have on hand out of the equation, and realize your out of gas and you have a maintenance appointment in 20 minutes...
Be proactive and organized. Which should be two qualities of a skilled reef keeper anyways.

Quote:
Still game?
Yes

Current Tank Info: 150g Starphire Pensinula SPS
ajcanale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Misled
RC Mod

Been involved in farms and stores. The area you're in will determine a lot. Doing farming and dealing online has it's benefits

Unread 05/19/2012, 11:43 AM   #15
EricSIny
Moved On

lets not forget that were in a down economy that is only getting worse and fast.

clearly this is a hobby and not a nessesity and were only targeting a small demographic of people here. in addition to that the "general rule of thumb" for a new local business owner to see any kind of profits (includes paying yourself) is atleast 2 years, if not more in this field.

money and time seem to be the 2 biggest factors here..opening a new business requires alot of personal time and effort, aswell as a fat wallet and assests to even obtain a business loan in this economy.

assuming you could work over these obsticles (which some do, not many however) i would love to open one...but my wallet just aint that fat!

EricSIny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 12:00 PM   #16
seapug
Registered Member

I've always wanted to open a store and might do it some day, but I have enough experience in retail sales of living things (plants, animals) to know and appreciate the risks, expense and time commitment that is involved in operating a brick & mortar retail operation. If you think you spend a lot of money on fish & corals, just wait until you own a store! And unlike a trinket shop where the items just sit on a shelf, livestock has to be cared for at all times. The electric bill alone can put you in the red each month.

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
seapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 02:44 PM   #17
snorvich
Team RC member

No way, no how will I ever make my hobby my business. And being a party to the books of an LFS, I suggest having a LOT of money going in, opening only in a marketplace with a LOT of people, and focus on the maintenance side of the business if you want to even think about breaking even.

Unread 05/19/2012, 02:48 PM   #18
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palting View Post
Nah, not me either. I'd rather do something by a coral reef or coral island. Like be a beach bum with scuba gear . Probably makes as much financial sense, but more fun!!
Trust me, being a dive instructor on a tropical island is NOT fun, it is a huge amount of work with little pay.

Unread 05/19/2012, 03:17 PM   #19
pr12
Registered Member

Tried making another hobby into a job, it was miserable after awhile. I'd rather keep my hobbies fun.

pr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 03:35 PM   #20
jeff@zina.com
Registered Member

Work at a LFS for six months. Then decide.

Jeff

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 04:07 PM   #21
privitor
TC.ARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcanale View Post
I wrote a business plan for a saltwater reef exclusive retail store/ website.
I too am writing a business plan, i would love to exchange some idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcanale View Post
Post a sign outside saying "No third graders allowed"
Great idea lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spieszak View Post
This list isn't comprehensive, but its part of beginning to think about why owning a business just sucks
I have owned a quiznos and yes you list all the things that can go wrong but with any business, there has to be some risk before any rewards.
But ajcanale is right, with proper quarantine and a wife to do your accounting, You will be fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm949 View Post
if you like the work than the hours dont really matter.
it can be a little stressful at times, but remember you are there for your clients first and foremost.
I couldnt agree more! Everbody always says you should love what you do and do what you love! [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by getpumpedsaltwater
opening a business in California
What happened to the post about someone opeing a store in cali? they said check out thier site about their store build and business plan but now its gone. It was very informitive and the site is nice!

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS KEEP UM COMMING!!!

Last edited by privitor; 05/19/2012 at 04:53 PM.
Unread 05/19/2012, 04:17 PM   #22
mm949
Registered Member

"What happened to the post about someone opeing a store in cali? "

cant advertise on RC....

Current Tank Info: ...18ft of double sided goodness
mm949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 04:38 PM   #23
privitor
TC.ARK

I think the smart thing to go is start a web site first and sell from home, if your sucessful them open a retail store!

or like jeff said
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@zina.com View Post
Work at a LFS for six months. Then decide.
lol sadly my LFS just went outta business lol

Does it make me crazy i still want to open a store??

Last edited by privitor; 05/19/2012 at 04:46 PM.
Unread 05/19/2012, 04:43 PM   #24
Misled
RC Mod

Also had info on his websites which isn't allowed.

Unread 05/19/2012, 05:06 PM   #25
TimeConsumer
Registered Member

My biggest concern with the concept is running a business with living inventory. None of my fish stores quarantine, probably due to the high turnaround rate of fish/coral. Often times they sell livestock the day it is received. Would you want to delay your livestock by 4-6 weeks? You'd probably end up having the majority of your livestock in quarantine, as well as a very large quarantine system.

To mitigate the issue I would probably run fish-only systems and coral-only systems. I would run copper 24/7 in the fish system. And for the coral system I would hope for the best.