Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/07/2018, 08:35 PM   #401
Wally.B
Registered Member

NOT ALL GOOD News.

The NEW Tri-Color (Painted Wrasse) has died.

Strange.

I wonder if doing the Copper Treatment was too much, but I never even got to doing the 2nd Dose to bring up levels.

OR, I broke my own PATIENCE rule. I used the QT from the Sunburst Anthias, instead of starting Fresh. (I only did a 50% water change, thinking that I would preserve the Biology).

My tests show the Nitrate levels were very high (even after the 50% water change). I did a 2nd 50% water change, but it was too late.

Or the fish wasn't healthy, shock. THIS PROVES why QT is so important and not throw Potentially Hazzardous fish into one's DT to impact the rest of the healthy fish.

At least the other Fish are doing ok, and about to be move into DT.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 04:07 PM   #402
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
NOT ALL GOOD News.

The NEW Tri-Color (Painted Wrasse) has died.

Strange.

I wonder if doing the Copper Treatment was too much, but I never even got to doing the 2nd Dose to bring up levels.

OR, I broke my own PATIENCE rule. I used the QT from the Sunburst Anthias, instead of starting Fresh. (I only did a 50% water change, thinking that I would preserve the Biology).

My tests show the Nitrate levels were very high (even after the 50% water change). I did a 2nd 50% water change, but it was too late.

Or the fish wasn't healthy, shock. THIS PROVES why QT is so important and not throw Potentially Hazzardous fish into one's DT to impact the rest of the healthy fish.

At least the other Fish are doing ok, and about to be move into DT.

Sorry to hear that... was he eating ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 04:20 PM   #403
Wally.B
Registered Member

Yes he was eating. A little but eating first couple of days.

Small correction. Nitrites were high in the QT, not Nitrates.
I thought I could re-use the QT after the Sunburst Anthias was removed (goal was to keep biology in the Tank and the Matrix.

And I did that BIG mistake before putting him into QT. I put an airline into the baggie to buy some time as I setup QT. I learned that bubbling (CO2 which is in AIR) is not a good thing since it's something to do with Ammonia. So he may have gotten ammonia poisoning on Arrival.

I'm learning. Will get better at QT, but maybe for next couple of fish, I'll let Carl do the QT work. He doesn't charge extra. But no guarantees for Anthias.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Unread 05/08/2018, 07:27 PM   #404
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Sorry to hear the news.

Marty

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2018, 07:57 AM   #405
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes he was eating. A little but eating first couple of days.

Small correction. Nitrites were high in the QT, not Nitrates.

I thought I could re-use the QT after the Sunburst Anthias was removed (goal was to keep biology in the Tank and the Matrix.

And I did that BIG mistake before putting him into QT. I put an airline into the baggie to buy some time as I setup QT. I learned that bubbling (CO2 which is in AIR) is not a good thing since it's something to do with Ammonia. So he may have gotten ammonia poisoning on Arrival.

I'm learning. Will get better at QT, but maybe for next couple of fish, I'll let Carl do the QT work. He doesn't charge extra. But no guarantees for Anthias.

A couple of thoughts ;
1 most fish are actually pretty adaptable to deal with changes in salinity. They have a large capacity for osmoregulation. I think most people overdo it with drip acclimation or slow acclimation. I temp acclimate then do a couple of manual mixing of water from qt to bag and then release the fish : 5 mins.
2. Beware of multiple stressors. We know this from biology; multiple stressors often have synergistic effects. Capture / move / introduction to new system is a big stress. Acclimating to new chemistry can also be stressful. I usually lay off any drugs (another stress especially with cooper) till the fish recover and start eating.
3. I am not a big fan of copper as a precaution. While fish often tolerate copper exposure, it can still cause sub lethal issues that can possibly reduce the life span of a fish (Eg. smoking doesn’t kill you immediately, but that doesn’t mean that it is harmless). I much prefer to observe the fish in qt for the typical 4 to 6 wk period, and only use cooper when symptoms manifest. I know Carl does cooper for everything but I think this is just a biz practice for him. He needs to guarantee to his customers that they can put the fish in their systems right away... it’s a good system for Carl but likely not great for the fish. It would take too long for him to actually observe fish and treat as needed. Will cut into his bottom line

Unread 05/09/2018, 10:13 PM   #406
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinphillip03 View Post
Sorry to hear the news.
Thanks Martin.
Too bad I lost him. Who knows when another Red Head Wrasse will come around. (I got lucky to get a 2nd)

BUT THINGS GOT WORSE TODAY.

My Apex Sys Classic Died!!!

GREEN LED showed Everything was good, but Display went Blank and it wouldn't show up on Network.

It may have been the power Failures we've had. Wind Storm over weekend.

Called Apex, and it's going BACK RMA. Maybe will be fixed, but if estimate is too high. I'll scrap it.

They offered a discount Apex Sys. Not worth it.
If I replace the Apex JR, I'll go with a 2016 Model, to be able to use the TRIDENT Water Parameter Monitoring and Dosing.

I did find a quick work around. TO BUY ME TIME.

Put my lights and a Pump on those Wifi Plugs I got.

THEN, I transferred my EB8, Temp probe over to my APEX JR. (I had two apex controllers)

The MAX # of devices on a Apex JR is (Now 7). Used to be 5.
So I got the JR loaded up with 6 units (3x EB8, 2x VDM's, 1x PM2).

Had to run some wires between the BASEMENT and 1st Floor.
GLAD I left Sump Room Ceiling OPEN Made it easier.

Now my Apex JR is Fully Loaded. (Have everything the same, but no PH probe for Kitchen Tank) However I have a Pinpoint PH monitor so will use that on the Kitchen Tank. No SPS so not as critical.

I kind of like everything on one Apex.

If the other one gets repaired, it will be a Spare. Having the JR save my day.

I still need to restore Full programming, and Tidy up the Wires.

Unread 05/09/2018, 10:15 PM   #407
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
A couple of thoughts ;
1 most fish are actually pretty adaptable to deal with changes in salinity. They have a large capacity for osmoregulation. I think most people overdo it with drip acclimation or slow acclimation. I temp acclimate then do a couple of manual mixing of water from qt to bag and then release the fish : 5 mins.
2. Beware of multiple stressors. We know this from biology; multiple stressors often have synergistic effects. Capture / move / introduction to new system is a big stress. Acclimating to new chemistry can also be stressful. I usually lay off any drugs (another stress especially with cooper) till the fish recover and start eating.
3. I am not a big fan of copper as a precaution. While fish often tolerate copper exposure, it can still cause sub lethal issues that can possibly reduce the life span of a fish (Eg. smoking doesn’t kill you immediately, but that doesn’t mean that it is harmless). I much prefer to observe the fish in qt for the typical 4 to 6 wk period, and only use cooper when symptoms manifest. I know Carl does cooper for everything but I think this is just a biz practice for him. He needs to guarantee to his customers that they can put the fish in their systems right away... it’s a good system for Carl but likely not great for the fish. It would take too long for him to actually observe fish and treat as needed. Will cut into his bottom line
Yes Tunurepro,
You mentioned that before and I was in agreement.
My failure was the rush (not having QT ready) and hoping to get new Fish to Catchup with the Others coming out of QT.

Lesson Learned. I like your approach better. Worked for the Copperband, the Black Cap, and the Sun Burst Anthias.

Unread 05/11/2018, 07:22 PM   #408
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Maybe its a sign to get the 2018 model?

Marty

Quote:
Thanks Martin.
Too bad I lost him. Who knows when another Red Head Wrasse will come around. (I got lucky to get a 2nd)

BUT THINGS GOT WORSE TODAY.

My Apex Sys Classic Died!!!

GREEN LED showed Everything was good, but Display went Blank and it wouldn't show up on Network.

It may have been the power Failures we've had. Wind Storm over weekend.

Called Apex, and it's going BACK RMA. Maybe will be fixed, but if estimate is too high. I'll scrap it.

They offered a discount Apex Sys. Not worth it.
If I replace the Apex JR, I'll go with a 2016 Model, to be able to use the TRIDENT Water Parameter Monitoring and Dosing.

I did find a quick work around. TO BUY ME TIME.

Put my lights and a Pump on those Wifi Plugs I got.

THEN, I transferred my EB8, Temp probe over to my APEX JR. (I had two apex controllers)

The MAX # of devices on a Apex JR is (Now 7). Used to be 5.
So I got the JR loaded up with 6 units (3x EB8, 2x VDM's, 1x PM2).

Had to run some wires between the BASEMENT and 1st Floor.
GLAD I left Sump Room Ceiling OPEN Made it easier.

Now my Apex JR is Fully Loaded. (Have everything the same, but no PH probe for Kitchen Tank) However I have a Pinpoint PH monitor so will use that on the Kitchen Tank. No SPS so not as critical.

I kind of like everything on one Apex.

If the other one gets repaired, it will be a Spare. Having the JR save my day.

I still need to restore Full programming, and Tidy up the Wires.

Unread 05/11/2018, 07:41 PM   #409
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe its a sign to get the 2018 model?

Marty
Marty,
The thought crossed my mind when Neptune offered a discount on a 2016 (instead of RMA repair), but it wasn't much $ off.

I'll wait to see when the Trident unit comes out, and it's proven to work.
For now I have a working setup, and a TON of things to do, to get tank back on it walking feet.

Unread 05/11/2018, 07:43 PM   #410
Wally.B
Registered Member

I got a 2nd Copperband (From Carl). This time he will QT it for me.
It's a few $'s extra for an TRAINED EATER.

This one will go into my kitchen tank, since that was the original plan (Aptasia Elimination).
But the one I cured from Ich is a keeper for my new Tank (All that work to cure him and train him to eat).

Unread 05/11/2018, 10:08 PM   #411
Wally.B
Registered Member

JUMBO (Makes it to FRAG TANK QT) After 16 Days of Copper Treatment

Hey Tenurpro,

Jumbo THE BLUE GREEN CHROMIS Survived in The Copper Treatment QT Tank.

He has been move to join the Others in the Frag Tank QT.

For those that don't remember, Jumbo was donated to me by Tenurepro.
He was briefly put into my Kitchen Tank (in a Acclimatization box) when the Copperband got Ich, and all the other Blue Green Chromis's went Super Angry.

I was worried that he may have gotten ich, so he was treated with Copper. FULL STRENTH COPPER, 15 days.

He lived in a the Volcano, which I brought over to this QT.

Weired to See the Copperband got aggressive for a brief period and the backed off.

Even more interesting is the Anthias which has similar shape is kind of friendly with Jumbo, and Vise Versa.

All 4 FISH will be going into my NEW DT, once rocks are re-done, and Final Decision on IF I WILL Keep the Dominant and Aggressive SPOT BREAST ANGEL.

Unread 05/12/2018, 02:00 AM   #412
Rakie
In Memoriam

Glad your Sunburst is doing well! Once they acclimate to eating food a lot of people say they're basically little swimming trash cans that gobble up anything. The hard part is getting them to eat initially. Looks like QT has been successful for you, glad it's all getting done mostly hassle free.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2018, 10:45 AM   #413
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Glad your Sunburst is doing well! Once they acclimate to eating food a lot of people say they're basically little swimming trash cans that gobble up anything. The hard part is getting them to eat initially. Looks like QT has been successful for you, glad it's all getting done mostly hassle free.
You're not kidding about the comment you made before. That "Sunburst" has a BIG Mouth. He can literally suck up a whole Frozen Cube. IMPRESSIVE!!

But QT hasn't been perfect. Lost 2 Saddleback Anthias, 2 Tri-Color Wrasse.
Looks like I'm Shooting 50/50 on success rate.

MOST IMPORTANT is the Fish I really want have done well. AND ALL EATTING.

Unread 05/12/2018, 11:28 AM   #414
Rakie
In Memoriam

Honestly 50/50 isn't ideal, but there's plenty of people with less success than that. Additionally, most people expect to lose 1/3 to 1/2 of Anthias during QT. The old saying with anthias is "If you want 3, buy 5".

So next time you're ready, try to get anthias only for the next round of QT. And buy a few extra. If you're lucky and they all survive a couple extra fish is never a bad thing.

More fish will diffuse tension with the spot breast angel too.

Unread 05/12/2018, 12:27 PM   #415
tenurepro
Registered Member

Go Jumbo Go!

Unread 05/14/2018, 01:34 PM   #416
Wally.B
Registered Member

Basement Reno FINISHING Touches (Star Wars Theme) From Scraps and Kids Throw Away Junk

I didn't plan on this. Things kind of evolved.

THE ORIGINAL PLAN was to HIDE my Shelving in the Hallway.

I did the SIMPLE FRAMING myself (from Left of 2x4's)

Got HANGING Sliding DOOR (just doors & Track) from IKEA. These were on clearance. (End Of Life Line)

Took at lot of MODS/ Hacking to make them fit, but it came out nice.

THEN I needed to Tackle Closing up the SIDE (of Closet).

I didn't have enough Left Over Drywall. Not enough Plywood either (So I used scraps of both)

Hallway felt a bit congested (so I wanted to add more OPEN LOOK. Started as a Shelf, and evolved into a Display Case.

(Still need to be finished)

My OLD Halloween Mask, and the Background is a OLD WindowsXp Compter (SIde Panel)

The Closet Looks like A Darth TRANSPORTER or something like that.

SO HAVING GOne Star Wars Theme for the HOME THEATER, I kept pulling out old Junk.

Kids old HASBRO R2D2 (Still works). The Pedestal is DRI-COR Flooring, Upside Down.

And I got my son's (thrown away) Lego Mini Figs for the Fridge TOP Home Theatre Shelving Unit.

The HOME Theatre is coming out better than I planned.

Small Adjustment on the Cluttered Entertainment Shelving. (Every time I closed the Fridge door, things fell over).

This is better.

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/14/2018 at 01:53 PM.
Unread 05/14/2018, 06:39 PM   #417
tenurepro
Registered Member

Is the SPS Death Star fully operational ?

Unread 05/14/2018, 08:00 PM   #418
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Is the SPS Death Star fully operational ?
Procrastinating on the Tank Build (ie Rockscaping, for Corals).

I know I will get motivated once the Fish Have to go into DT.
Hoping this weekend.

Was going to do this last weekend, but Mothers Day and Gardening got in the way.

Unread 05/14/2018, 08:06 PM   #419
Wally.B
Registered Member

And DARTH VADER Closet display Portal is too intense for everyone except me and son.

Looking for something better.

Unread 05/14/2018, 08:50 PM   #420
Wally.B
Registered Member

Darth Vader is going back. Hand made by Kids Christmas Ornament (wife wants back).

Unread 05/16/2018, 10:33 PM   #421
Wally.B
Registered Member

What the HECK???? (My Beautiful and Favourite LONG NOSE HAWKFISH) has VANISHED!!

The Hawkfish is gone from my Kitchen Tank!!

He always comes out a feeding time, and maybe I didn't notice right away (last 2 days).

He was perfectly healthy and eating last week.

He didn't jump out of tank since. I looked everywhere around tank AND in Kitchen.

I DO HAVE A CLUE.

When my Apex Sys Broke Last Friday, I removed my Temp probe to move downstairs. So I was fumbling in my tank.

Today I noticed the GRILL COVER from my INTERNAL OVERFLOW box fell off, and dropped to the bottom of the tank.

SO he must have somehow got over the top of the overflow box (since he always hung around that area). But he is not in the Overflow box (like I once found a Fairy Wrasse).

He is 99.99% not in the Tank. He is BIG and very Red so easy to spot, and I looked everywhere.
If he died in Tank, he would have floated out, or lay on bottom.....VISIBLE.
WHILE LOOKING I found that I still have a PEPERMINT SHRIMP. Thought they all died, but he is Massive. Almost as Big as my Large Jumbo Cleaner Shrimp.

I sifted around in the Rubbermaid Sump, but didn't see him. I WILL EVENTUALY REMOVE EVERYTHING.

If he is not in sump,did he possibly get stuck in the Return Hose (It bends and turns a few times going down from 1st Floor to Basement). Gentle turns, not 90 Degree Kinks.
I turned on my DC variable Speed Pump to MAX and that's pretty powerful flow (and he didn't get flushed out).

He must be somewhere. HOPEFULLY ALIVE.

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/16/2018 at 10:38 PM.
Unread 05/17/2018, 06:14 AM   #422
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Wally, sorry to here that.

Marty

Unread 05/17/2018, 07:37 PM   #423
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Wally, sorry to here that.

Marty
I haven't given up yet. Hawkfish don't really swim around floating. They sit on surfaces.

so I have hope he is under skimmer, etc

Tonight I am going to tear apart The sump. Needs an annual cleaning anyway.

if he is not in there, I will be shocked.

Last edited by Wally.B; 05/17/2018 at 07:46 PM.
Unread 05/17/2018, 09:03 PM   #424
Rakie
In Memoriam

You sure he didn't find a little nook to tuck into in the rockwork? Simplest explanation being the most likely and all

Unread 05/17/2018, 09:50 PM   #425
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
You sure he didn't find a little nook to tuck into in the rockwork? Simplest explanation being the most likely and all
I guess you mean, "he found a nook, and died in there". Quite possible, but I can see into almost every nook.

However I just questioned my wife and she said he was swimming around bottom of Tank a couple of days ago. She said he didn't look good.
However she doesn't really know much about fish Health. (He looked ok to me late last week).... Why she never said anything before, means in Hindsight information.

Regardless, I WILL KNOW IN NEXT FEW MINUTES. Got my stuff all organized and cleaning out sump.