Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2013, 11:45 PM   #1
hillbillybjopkr
Registered Member

LFS water conditions....

just curious how many ppl have had issues with there LFS water parameters.....most shops i've visited keep there salinity at 1.022......livestock looked good....but once i put it in my tank...seemed to bloom...i keep mine at about 1.025. and it's not jst one lfs i've seen this at..curious if anyone's delt with the same thing

hillbillybjopkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2013, 12:22 AM   #2
Pearson
Registered Member

I don't let any LFS water into my tank. It's just asking for trouble.

Petland, i've seen anywhere from 1.022-1.027 and there was HA/Aptasia in a couple of their tanks
Best LFS i've been to (Matt's Coral) is usually 1.024-1.026 and the water seems good.

I QT everything but I still don't mix their water with mine.

Current Tank Info: 29 gal fw and 125 gal salt
Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Mr. Bill
Native Floridian

+1.... I dispose of the bag water during acclimation, then only add the livestock.

I can appreciate how the amount of water they lose from sales along with evaporation can make it difficult to maintain a constant SG, but I'm sure the swings also plays it's role in raising the stress level for the livestock, and could possibly be the tipping point for less hardy fish as well as corals and inverts. That would explain why some simply refuse to survive once they've been purchased and placed into yet another unfamiliar environment, regardless how much better the conditions might be.

Unread 03/23/2013, 08:33 PM   #4
williewilliams
Registered Member

Never put LFS water in your take. I really trust the one LFS I go to and know him, the owner, very well and I don't even put his in my tank.

Current Tank Info: 3 shallow rimless tanks. 2 full of sps and 1 with zoas/palys.
williewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2013, 08:38 PM   #5
JP SPS
Registered Member

Another reason to never put LFS water in your tank is because a lot of them are running medications and things like copper in their tanks. If you dump that into your tank you could be asking for trouble with corals and inverts.

JP SPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2013, 08:04 PM   #6
syrinx
Registered Member

Even though my shops water was likely better than most of the tanks, I would always tell people not to add my water to their tanks. Best practice is just that- and no reason to even do it tank to tank in multi tank home setups. Its just lazy-and can bite you!

syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote