Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2016, 06:28 PM   #1
Gonzo620
Registered Member

Tunze 6105

One of my 6105 powerheads keeps stalling out when in pulse mode. When it randomly comes on its only on for seconds. I place it in constant mode and noticed a pulsating /ramping up and down of the prop like it was struggling to stay consistent and when I lowered the strength it stops. It is a new powerheads I got it thru premium aquatics in early May and started running it in late May. Please help. Any assistance would be great.

Gonzo620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2016, 08:25 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

If it was running normally until recently, I would start with cleaning. Open the pump and remove the propeller assembly, soak the motor block and propeller of the pump in 50/50 vinegar and water for a few hours and rinse. While it would normally take 4-6 months to need cleaning, if the calcium or KH was higher than normal levels of 380-420ppm and 10-12 dkH, a precipitation occurred or calcium is dosed near the pump, it could happen in as little as a couple months. The build up will then be detected as a higher current draw causing the pump to throttle down or shut down as a safety and prevent permanent motor damage.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2016, 08:26 AM   #3
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Also, is it just running with the built in 7090 controller or is another controller being used?

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 07/21/2016, 03:25 PM   #4
Gonzo620
Registered Member

Ok so I went ahead and soaked both my tunze 6105s yesterday and no difference today after install. The one in question is clearly bouncing around a lot in comparison, and still stalling out. Also I am using the provided controller 7090.500. What can I do now?

Unread 07/22/2016, 09:30 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Please send it in, I need only the pump with the 7090.500. I will have it repaired and on the way back within a day of getting it.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

Unread 07/25/2016, 02:13 PM   #6
Gonzo620
Registered Member

Pump is in the mail. It should arrive to you on Wednesday.

Unread 07/25/2016, 03:40 PM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!

Unread 07/28/2016, 02:30 PM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Luis,

I got the pump, it is working here but I have only been running it a short time (2 hours so far). I am going to send a replacement as I assume you tried swapping the power supply so that is probably not it. Anyway, I don't have an answer yet on what was wrong, so far everything seems normal but such a problem can take a few days to show.

Unread 07/29/2016, 09:28 AM   #9
Gonzo620
Registered Member

Thanks Roger. I did switch up my power supply in order to eliminate that as a culprit. I know it was mostly noticeable at slower speeds. Thanks for the replacement, my corals greatly appreciate it.