Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2018, 11:30 AM   #1
RioReefr
Registered Member

Cleaner Shrimp did not survive flight....(why?)

So, I had a few hours to spare in MIA and decided to pick up a cleaner shrimp. They double-bagged him, got him at 5pm EST right before a 9pm EST flight. Going through TSA was simple since I had him in the transparent bag, they waved him through w/o any issues.
On the 8-hour international flight, about 1 hour before landing checked the bag and everything was fine....he was swimming around (in the oxygenated bag).

Go through Customs (nothing to declare line), no x-ray or anything. Get into the Uber to check "my little buddy" and surprised to see him belly-up. He was a goner.

Not sure what could have happened. The bag did seem to lose some pressure compared to when I initially picked him.

Was it the dropped in altitude pressure on the descent that killed him?
Was maybe the temperature inside the plane too cold?

Just weird he had survived right up to the point where I had to put my things away on the descent and thought everything was going to be A-OK. Sux.... because he was such a beautiful specimen and cleaner-shrimps are nearly impossible to find in Brazil (crazy import livestock laws).

Just wondering if I could have done something different....perhaps an styrofoam insulated cooler to maintain temperature better??
According to the fish store (Stictly Fish), they said he would survive 24 hours and the flight duration should not have been a problem.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 11:33 AM   #2
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Probably temperature

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod1404 View Post
probably temperature
+1 to temp, how about oxygen, how about ammonia.
Did they put a small elastic or other substrate in the bag so he was comfortable, could have something to attach to while in motion and no bashing around? Keep in mind he's not a swimmer per say, but a
Perches on rock, gorgonian, etc, most of the time. No way to perch can be quite stressful.
If they did not put in that substrate piece, not very good FS, they should be regardless of distance..that's how they are shipped from origin....including fully oxygenated, insulated boxes.

Last edited by Uncle99; 11/07/2018 at 12:43 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 06:47 AM   #4
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
+1 to temp, how about oxygen, how about ammonia.
......No way to perch can be quite stressful..

You know I am now speculating that might have been the cause....nothing for the shrimp to attach its legs. They put the shrimp in a pretty small amount of water also (than my experience with getting other aquatic life). There was no insulation, like a styrofoam container. Nothing else was done, but they double-bagged.

I am not sure the temperature. It was picked up in Miami, then a flight to Brazil. It was alive 1 hour before decent. I would say from the time of bagging to the the time of death was only about 12 hours. The bag definitely lost pressure/oxygen probably do the cabin pressure.

Do you think the store will give me a store credit (since I think they blew it on their end)??

I am just interested in knowing what I could have done/ or the store could have done better. I am really bumped about the whole experience since I was really more about TSA Customs and Brazilian Customs confiscating it -- but both were a breeze.

Unread 11/09/2018, 07:19 AM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I think you said it, larger bag, oxygen addition, insulated container, in the case of shrimps something to attached to, 12 hours, that’s a big transport time. About the same from source, more or less. Keep in mind that when LFS receives shipment, a lot is already dead in transit, this they do not tell you.
I assume you have nothing closer?

Unread 11/09/2018, 10:55 AM   #6
Tripod1404
Registered Member

I ordered shrimp many times online without anything inside the box for the shrimp to perch on. I dont think it would ben an issue. Imo its just temperature. Time is not long enough for ammonia to built up or oxygen to deplete for a single shrimp.

I dont think they will give store credit.

Unread 11/09/2018, 12:28 PM   #7
RioReefr
Registered Member

So here is the thing. The saltwater hobby is extremely difficult to do in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. People are basically into simple, non-costing hobbies. That and all the do-gooder activists (stupid straw-thing caught on here too) are constantly getting politicians to pass regulations strictly prohibiting marine/corals/live rock imports. I can get a cleaner-shrimp from Sao Paulo, but the cost alone for a single shrimp $70 and then the freight/shipping is outrageous. Its not like it can't be done, just silly stupid expensive.

If I do this again, I think I will just bring my own insulated container. Based on what everyone is saying here, it was the temperature drop (or sudden temperature change that got him).

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Unread 11/09/2018, 12:33 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Wow....$70 bucks.....ok now I see why!
Do all the things you said and try once again....

Unread 11/09/2018, 01:07 PM   #9
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Yeah it should be fine with a insulated box. Also try to pack the box with something so that the bag doesn't tumble.