Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/12/2019, 09:07 AM   #1
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Yellow Reef Safe Fish

Any ideas for a yellow or mostly yellow, mostly reliably reef safe fish that will play well with others?
Current occupants are:

Pair of Ocellaris Clowns 3in/4in
Longnose Hawkfish 5in
Algae Blenny 4in
Banggai Cardinal 2in
Carpenter's Flasher 5in
Linespot Flasher 3in
Pair of Green Chromis (planning on 5 total) 1.5in
Whitetail Bristletooth Tang (4.5in)
Skunk Cleaner 2in
Coral Banded Shrimp 3in

Acans, Zoas, Euphyllia and plating Montipora for corals

Tank is standard 75 gal 4ft long, 18" wide

Thanks!

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
cjpitt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2019, 09:27 AM   #2
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Yellow Clown Goby, just one though.

FYI... The CBS will not play nice with the cleaner shrimp.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2019, 09:30 AM   #3
HumbleFish
Moved On

A Yellow Coris wrasse would be a great addition, except sometimes they eat CUC.

A Yellow Tang is the most obvious choice, but may fight with your Whitetail.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2019, 11:29 AM   #4
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
A Yellow Coris wrasse would be a great addition, except sometimes they eat CUC.

A Yellow Tang is the most obvious choice, but may fight with your Whitetail.
Aren't you going to get pilloried now LOL ? I thought tangs need at least 6ft long tank with the excepton of the bristletooth kind..
My LFS has some very nice little 3in guys. Thinking about it ...

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
Unread 07/13/2019, 06:22 AM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpitt80 View Post
Aren't you going to get pilloried now LOL ? I thought tangs need at least 6ft long tank with the excepton of the bristletooth kind..
My LFS has some very nice little 3in guys. Thinking about it ...
As long as the YT is the last fish going in an bigger than the BT, you stand a good chance of that working out, however, tangs grow rapid so you will need a bigger home in 2-3 years.

I have had a YT and a BT in a 65g for years, but added last and at same time.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 12:49 PM   #6
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Stay away from a Yellow Clown Goby as if it has leprosy IF you have any SPS corals in your tank. They LOVE to nip at the polyps, I had to move mine to my softy tank asap as it was nipping at all my SPS non stop soon as i introduced it! LOL..........Cute lil fish tho.

Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 02:27 PM   #7
\Clownfish/
Saltwater Beginner

Maybe a yellow lemon peel angelfish. Get it while ya really small like I did. Haven’t had any issues with it eating coral

Unread 07/15/2019, 08:38 AM   #8
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
As long as the YT is the last fish going in an bigger than the BT, you stand a good chance of that working out, however, tangs grow rapid so you will need a bigger home in 2-3 years.

I have had a YT and a BT in a 65g for years, but added last and at same time.
Hmm I do plan to upgrade eventually, but that's gonna be a huuge deal. I may just go with the yellow goby. The Bristletooth got startled/mad the other day and went full speed. That dude is fassssssst LOL Not looking forward to trying to catch him in the display with rocks, etc.

Unread 07/15/2019, 08:42 AM   #9
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
Stay away from a Yellow Clown Goby as if it has leprosy IF you have any SPS corals in your tank. They LOVE to nip at the polyps, I had to move mine to my softy tank asap as it was nipping at all my SPS non stop soon as i introduced it! LOL..........Cute lil fish tho.
That sucks. I have enough trouble trying to keep SPS

Unread 07/15/2019, 06:42 PM   #10
TDChu
Registered Member

Yellow Blenny?

TDChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2019, 02:46 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

I have a Yellow/Purple Wrasse and would recommend. And they eat Vermetid snails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfexVdOKXxk

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 08:39 AM   #12
jd371
Registered Member

How about a Midas blenny?

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 08:57 AM   #13
immortl
Registered Member

I'd suggest a gold assessor basslet. I had one and never had any issues. They're fun to watch and will swim around in crazy directions/angles.

Search live aquaria for them, for a pic. I do NOT recall paying that much when I bought mine, but that was several years ago.

Thanks,
Joe

immortl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 11:45 AM   #14
Sk8r
RC Mod

Avoid the lemonpeel angel. Fragile, and problematic. Takes a large tank as they grow.
Also, don' t try 5 chromis. Even with the 2, you'll be down to 1 before too many more months. They do not get along together and kill each other over sleeping nooks.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 01:25 PM   #15
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Avoid the lemonpeel angel. Fragile, and problematic. Takes a large tank as they grow.
Also, don' t try 5 chromis. Even with the 2, you'll be down to 1 before too many more months. They do not get along together and kill each other over sleeping nooks.
Really? I started with 7 and these are the last 2 to make it out of quarantine. I just assumed they were pretty "weak" fish. The none of the other 5 made it past 2weeks. I wanted a bunch because I have no schooling fish. The 2 in the tank now seem to play chase each other, but they've been in there for about 4 months now, and I see no real aggression. They're only about 2in though. Thanks for the info, don't want any fragile fish

Unread 07/17/2019, 01:31 PM   #16
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortl View Post
I'd suggest a gold assessor basslet. I had one and never had any issues. They're fun to watch and will swim around in crazy directions/angles.

Search live aquaria for them, for a pic. I do NOT recall paying that much when I bought mine, but that was several years ago.

Thanks,
Joe
Yeah I came across that guy a while ago. Besides price, seems like it may be #1 contender. Any issue with a tang already being in the tank? I know I'm supposed to go nicest to meanest, but I didn't know I'd want yellow until now LOL

With Blennies (Midas or Canary Yellow) would that be okay with my Sailfin/Algae blenny?

Unread 07/17/2019, 02:45 PM   #17
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Joe
$129.99 now, not what I call cheap

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2019, 07:15 PM   #18
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Joe
I love Assessors, but they may not show much in a community tank, especially not if it is bright and has rather active fish. The 3 I had in my 100 gallon tank I saw at best during feedings when they darted out of their hiding spaces to grab some food. Otherwise they would be in the back of the rockwork and not to be seen. I would reserve Assessors for dimly lit NFS tanks with small and rather calm tankmates.

A Canary Blenny (Meiacanthus oualanensis) is similar in size and color and also perfectly reef safe.
Other mostly yellow Meiacanthus blennies would be the Green Canary Blenny (Meiacanthus tongaensis) and the Forktail Blenny (Meiacanthus atrodorsalis).

The Purple Stripe Dottyback probably classifies as reef safe as well but these guys may kill small shrimp and can be quite aggressive.

Royal Grammas are half yellow, pretty peaceful, and totally reef safe. And if you have a few thousand dollars burning a hole into your pocket you could try to get a captive bred Gramma dejongi which is even more yellow.

Yellow Prawn Gobies (Cryptocentrus cinctus) are also perfectly reef safe and peaceful.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2019, 07:55 AM   #19
Bma1972
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd371 View Post
How about a Midas blenny?
Best suggestion I've seen so far. awesome personality, need a lid though!!!

Bma1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2019, 10:47 AM   #20
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Multiple Blennys

Will the Midas Blenny play well with the Sailfin/Algae blenny?