Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2017, 09:51 PM   #26
JustinM
Registered Member

Whatever you do, make sure you do not cross contaminate between tanks and keep your QT at least 10’ away for your DT.

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 09:51 PM   #27
SterlingP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
Fish are important yes. If you don’t really have any coral, there really isn’t much you need to do. Nitrifying bacteria will live for years without waste. There are a few products that add nitrate to your tank as well. Seachem makes one that contains potassium nitrate and I believe you can buy liquid stump remover too.

Only have a bit of gsp well maybe not a bit anymore took over a 5-10 lb rock about ten mushrooms and some Xenia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SterlingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 01:44 PM   #28
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingP View Post
Only have a bit of gsp well maybe not a bit anymore took over a 5-10 lb rock about ten mushrooms and some Xenia

You can ghost feed your tank once a week. Or feed your corals once a week.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 02:37 PM   #29
SterlingP
Registered Member

Quote:
Whatever you do, make sure you do not cross contaminate between tanks and keep your QT at least 10’ away for your DT.

About 15' away. Didn't even think of that. So what's the deal with equipment or buckets or nets. So I put my siphon hose in the bucket I used to drain the tank for a weather change. And put my net in there. Now that **** won't be used for my dt. Is there a way to clean copper out? Best to get two sets?

Unread 11/09/2017, 02:39 PM   #30
SterlingP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
You can ghost feed your tank once a week. Or feed your corals once a week.

What do you mean by feed the corals? Now that you say that I remember seeing a mushroom eating a mysis shrimp. Or just grabbed it. Was amusing to watch.

Unread 11/09/2017, 05:14 PM   #31
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
About 15' away. Didn't even think of that. So what's the deal with equipment or buckets or nets. So I put my siphon hose in the bucket I used to drain the tank for a weather change. And put my net in there. Now that **** won't be used for my dt. Is there a way to clean copper out? Best to get two sets?

No sure sure how to clean copper out but I do use a 10-1 ratio of bleach and water to sterilise my equipment between ttm get two sets of QT equipment, one to use and one on stand by clean and sterilised. I leave equipment to air dry complete before use or use a hair dryer to aid drying time.

Last edited by fishkeeprian; 11/09/2017 at 05:20 PM.
fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 08:20 PM   #32
JustinM
Registered Member

I have QT equipment and I have DT equipment. It’s best to just keep them separate and sterilize when you’re done with qt. After you treat with copper for 30 days, they need to be moved to a sterile tank. It’s tough but well worth the piece of mind.

Unread 11/09/2017, 08:22 PM   #33
JustinM
Registered Member

since you’re only keeping softies, I wouldn’t worry too much about feeding at all

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:38 PM   #34
SterlingP
Registered Member

Quote:
since you’re only keeping softies, I wouldn’t worry too much about feeding at all

So since the upgrade I used a lot of new water. And I assume the tank is somewhat recycling itself again? Starting to see some nice purple spots again. But I see it bit of brown in places again. Skimmer had a hay day last two days now today not much skim mate

Unread 11/10/2017, 07:22 AM   #35
fish head 22
Registered Member

Quote:
So since the upgrade I used a lot of new water. And I assume the tank is somewhat recycling itself again? Starting to see some nice purple spots again. But I see it bit of brown in places again. Skimmer had a hay day last two days now today not much skim mate

I have a 150 gallon tank that I have had for years. All my fish went through quarantine and copper treatment before going to display. These fish have been with me for years. When I added a new fish lately that also went through quarantine, my powder blue and hippo get upset and show what looks like ICH. After they adjust to the new fish, ICH like spots disappear. I don't think it's ICH at all as their are no I'll effects? Just my observation

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

fish head 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 07:23 AM   #36
fish head 22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish head 22 View Post
I have a 150 gallon tank that I have had for years. All my fish went through quarantine and copper treatment before going to display. These fish have been with me for years. When I added a new fish lately that also went through quarantine, my powder blue and hippo get upset and show what looks like ICH. After they adjust to the new fish, ICH like spots disappear. I don't think it's ICH at all as their are no I'll effects? Just my observation

In my tank that is!

fish head 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 11:15 AM   #37
SterlingP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish head 22 View Post
In my tank that is!

My tang that I'm treated acted healthy and never rubbed just swam and acted like a tang. But still was ich, not sure about yours, from what people have told me it can stay dormant and only show when a fish is stressed.

Unread 11/10/2017, 01:31 PM   #38
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
My tang that I'm treated acted healthy and never rubbed just swam and acted like a tang. But still was ich, not sure about yours, from what people have told me it can stay dormant and only show when a fish is stressed.

Not sure about dormant. It's a living thing and needs food all the basics of a living creature. It must of been present in you tank maybe surviving off you other fish but because your tang was stressed and it's immune system and slim coat was reduced it managed to latch on.

If it didnt have access to food I. E your fish it would of been wiped out. Hence you remove the fish from the tank to eradicate it. Basically starving it out.

Unread 11/10/2017, 03:13 PM   #39
Jdub968
Registered Member

AL your nets and syphon hose ect I would use now just for your qt get new nets and hose for your DT once your fallow period is over. It's not so much the copper on or in the equipment as it is the possibility of the parasites being on or in the equipment.

Jdub968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 04:23 PM   #40
SterlingP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeprian View Post
Not sure about dormant. It's a living thing and needs food all the basics of a living creature. It must of been present in you tank maybe surviving off you other fish but because your tang was stressed and it's immune system and slim coat was reduced it managed to latch on.

If it didnt have access to food I. E your fish it would of been wiped out. Hence you remove the fish from the tank to eradicate it. Basically starving it out.

So what I meant... u made it sound good

Unread 11/10/2017, 10:45 PM   #41
gusmanda
Registered Member

do you need to take shrimp out as well? Or just the fish?

gusmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 01:42 AM   #42
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmanda View Post
do you need to take shrimp out as well? Or just the fish?

If your just leaving your tank fallow then iverterbrates, snails, shrimp, hermits etc are fine to stay in the tank.

Last edited by fishkeeprian; 11/11/2017 at 08:31 AM.
Unread 11/11/2017, 07:55 AM   #43
navychief
"Shellback"

Quote:
I just recently did an upgrade with my tank. My clowns and goby made it nicely over but my tang did not. Hard to get a good picture and this is his good side. Bunch of white dots. The skin looks raised around the dots. No other fish have this. Show to my fish store. Said To use copper. Said dose 40 drops per day for four days and keep the fish in there for two weeks. Everything I read here seems to be different. Wanna clarify how long and how much? Do I need a test kit?
FWIW, my Blue started showing the signs of marine ick. I immediately started a couple day regimen of frozen food mixed with Metroplex. It was gone within a week.

CadLights 70G, Radion XR30W Pro, 2 MP 10, Apexs, .25 HP chiller, 3 TLF reactors w/ Carbon/Bioballs, PM Kalk reactor, 24" Giesemann w/4 Actinic T5s/250W 15000K HQI, PM R30 Fuge, Cone-S Skimmer, RS Salt

Current Tank Info: 1 Paracanthurus; 2 False Percula; 1 Monacanthidae; 1 Blue Chrysiptera cyanea; 1 Lysmata debelius; 1 Eucidaris
navychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 08:51 AM   #44
JustinM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychief View Post
FWIW, my Blue started showing the signs of marine ick. I immediately started a couple day regimen of frozen food mixed with Metroplex. It was gone within a week.
Seachem’s website states that metro treats parasites but I have never had any luck with it. I would credit this to the lifecycle of ich.