Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2019, 10:12 PM   #1
mikebow16
Registered Member

Spontaneous restart

Just had 3 spontaneous restarts for no good reason. Another local reefer is having the exact same issue tonight. At first I thought I have a faulty outlet but now I think it might be getting a reboot signal from fusion.

I disconnected it from the internet hopefully that will stop the rebooting.

Anyone else having the same issue tonight?

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/03/2019, 10:26 PM   #2
RF_rookie
Registered Member

Yes I did have same problem like you and I just unplugged my Ethernet cable and now it stop restarted

Current Tank Info: SCA 80gal mixed reef
RF_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2019, 10:39 AM   #3
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Same here. I had at least two spontaneous restarts. Between 7 and 9 PM Pacific time zone.

Unread 03/04/2019, 11:54 AM   #4
RF_rookie
Registered Member

Neptune people should have to take a look at this matter and tell us what is going on with this. Not just 3 of us but if you google it they are lots of people who have this problem

Current Tank Info: SCA 80gal mixed reef
RF_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Ted_C
Registered Member

yea - me too - between 10 and 11 PM on March 3rd. Also unplugged Ethernet cable.

Unread 03/04/2019, 03:36 PM   #6
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Mine is slightly different, the error condition for my return pump got triggered at exactly 3am.

The return pump error condition occurs if return pump has been off for more than 2 hours. Clearly from the chart the pump was still running until 3am when pH dropped because my code will turn off skimmer and heater if return is off. I woke up at 6 and tank temp was 72.

It’s clear to me something from Neptune server side was messing around with controllers.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2019, 05:06 PM   #7
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

From the Neptune Systems Facebook page...

NOTICE:

Yesterday, at approximately 19:45 PST we had a hardware failure to a key Apex Fusion server located with AWS. Our normal operating procedure for such an event went into effect and Apex Fusion was back to normal operation for all customers in less than 25 minutes.

During this outage, a percentage of Apex Classic customers (ApexClassic, Apex Gold, Apex Lite, and Apex Jr) were affected in that upon not receiving proper communication from this server, they reached a never-before-seen unstable state, and then subsequently rebooted as a recovery method. We have reports that some rebooted several times. We are currently investigating this issue in an attempt to recreate it in our lab, and if we can do that, put in place a software fix to prevent it from happening in the future.

Second generation Apex owners (the “2016” model) were not affected in this way because they maintain connection and communicate to Apex Fusion in a slightly different manner. They simply lost connection with the Apex Fusion servers for that time while we were performing the recovery.

By 20:15 PST our server was back online and all Apex should have been back to normal operation. If your Apex remains disconnected from Apex Fusion, please contact our support team here: https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/contact-support/

No data was lost and no programming or configuration on your Apex was changed due to this downtime event. Your Apex should be operating normally at this time.

We apologize for this service interruption.

Unread 03/06/2019, 10:32 PM   #8
kurt_n
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnaquanut View Post
From the Neptune Systems Facebook page...

During this outage, a percentage of Apex Classic customers (ApexClassic, Apex Gold, Apex Lite, and Apex Jr) were affected in that upon not receiving proper communication from this server, they reached a never-before-seen unstable state, and then subsequently rebooted as a recovery method. ....
Does this statement from Neptune concern anyone else? I mean... I'm not an IT guy, but consider myself pretty computer/network savvy... but this statement doesn't make sense to me. Why would my local Apex care whether or not it can "see" the Fusion server? That's no different than disconnecting it from the internet, correct? And *that* doesn't cause a reboot.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2019, 10:01 AM   #9
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_n View Post
Does this statement from Neptune concern anyone else? I mean... I'm not an IT guy, but consider myself pretty computer/network savvy... but this statement doesn't make sense to me. Why would my local Apex care whether or not it can "see" the Fusion server? That's no different than disconnecting it from the internet, correct? And *that* doesn't cause a reboot.

yes its disturbing.

rebooting as a means to get past an issue indicates developer has no clue what is going on.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2019, 10:04 AM   #10
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Yes I am concerned. There is a level of interaction between Fusion and the Apex I find disturbing.

From the statement it seems like the Neptune folks were surprised by the event too.

Unread 03/07/2019, 11:51 AM   #11
mikebow16
Registered Member

Looking at the alerts it looks like fusion was sending a set off command to all the outlets, then the base unit internal programming on the next clock cycle return all the outlets to the correct state.

This is super scary!! If it is truly just a hiccup ok some programmer didn’t check the compatibility before adding a patch to the server. But if someone was exploiting a vulnerability...

Unread 03/08/2019, 12:24 AM   #12
kurt_n
Registered Member

I guess the term "not receiving proper communication from this server" can be a soft way of saying a lot of things. I took it to mean the local unit couldn't communicate with the Fusion server, but I suppose it could also mean that the server was sending erroneous commands by the sounds of what others experienced. Makes me think about having Fusion enabled, but I really rely on the 'heartbeat' function. I'm really missing Reeftronics about now, Russ!

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2019, 07:44 AM   #13
Ted_C
Registered Member

Happened again for me early this morning (8-mar-2019) - around 12:50 AM EST - reset twice.

Unread 03/08/2019, 10:04 AM   #14
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_C View Post
Happened again for me early this morning (8-mar-2019) - around 12:50 AM EST - reset twice.
Don't know if mine did. Has anyone found a log entry to indicate a reboot?

Unread 03/09/2019, 10:56 PM   #15
sympley
Registered Member

S**t somehow stumbled on this thread, I have my classic Apex restarting on a regular basis sometimes 3 to 4 times a day. Then it is good for a week and again few days in a row it will restart multiple times a day. On that day it was even more frequent and very worry some. Even my wife commented on what shitty system am I running. I guess time to switch to something else, this is not right.

sympley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2019, 12:32 PM   #16
miktrav
Registered Member

I am having the same issue. I thought it was my EB832 causing the problem.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon RR, LPS, Softies, ASM Skimmer, Mag 9 Return Pump
miktrav is offline   Reply With Quote