Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/13/2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Scubabum
Registered Member

Bimaculatus Anthias Questions...

I purchased a Trio of female Bimaculatus from Divers Den 3 days ago. They are currently in Quarantine and one of the Anthias has not eaten in the last 2 days. I have fed Pe Mysis, Frozen Reef Frenzy, various pellets, various flakes. One of the Anthias seems to be bullying the other two. This is the first time I have tried to keep Anthias and I'm looking for suggestions. I have a 2nd Quarantine tanks setup and can easily separate the trio if needed. Thanks in advance.

Scubabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 03:35 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Do you have a power-head in the tank? They like water movement and will often chase food they think is alive. Sometimes a fish won't ever eat.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Scubabum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Do you have a power-head in the tank? They like water movement and will often chase food they think is alive. Sometimes a fish won't ever eat.
I don't have a power head in the tank. Only flow is from the filter since its a QT tank. Easy fix though. I have a spare Mp10 and I'll throw it on and give it a shot. Thanks.

Old 11/13/2017, 06:52 PM   #4
Scubabum
Registered Member

@ca1ore Can't thank you enough for your suggestion. Added the MP10 and just fed. They all ate. Big Thumbs up. Thank you!

Old 11/14/2017, 08:28 AM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

You are welcome! It's a good trick for anthias particularly. I had a group of resplenedents a few years back that were proving very picky. Dropped in a PH and they chased and ate with enthusiasm.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Jasanden
Registered Member

+1 new anthias I always dump food in the flow of the power head definitely triggers something

Jasanden is offline   Reply With Quote