Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2017, 07:28 PM   #1
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Another Mag From Petco Thread

Picked up a mag from Petco today. Purple base, green oral disc and white tips. Small size 4"
Bought the rock it was attached to as well to avoid damage to foot.

With flashlight on

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 01/01/2017 at 07:35 PM.
CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2017, 08:33 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

Wow, talk about a score, and from petco yet, nice!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2017, 08:53 PM   #3
NYCBOB
Registered Member

the petco near me only has haddoni anemone. nice anemone btw. how much did u get it for if u dont mind me asking?

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2017, 08:57 PM   #4
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Wow, talk about a score, and from petco yet, nice!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBOB View Post
the petco near me only has haddoni anemone. nice anemone btw. how much did u get it for if u dont mind me asking?
It was $90 and labeled as Ritteri. I don't think it's a problem for Petco to special order one for you.

Unread 01/01/2017, 09:01 PM   #5
NYCBOB
Registered Member

Thanks. The only issue I have with petco is they dont offer any guarantee on their anemones. For $90, I might get it from liveaquaria if I have a bigger tank in the future. I currently have a mag, a haddoni and many bta already.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2017, 09:12 PM   #6
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBOB View Post
Thanks. For $90, I might get it from liveaquaria if I have a bigger tank in the future.
You're welcome. That's a good point actually. Unfortunately if you buy from LA it's not WYSIWYG unless you buy from DD for $200. In my case it was already there so I knew what I was getting. Petco doesn't require a deposit for special orders and you aren't obligated to go home with it if you don't like it.
The main reason I actually pulled the trigger on this mag is size. I have a 10-12" gig already and anything over 7-8" would be more challenging to fit in my tank.

Unread 01/01/2017, 09:22 PM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

I'm kind of surprised it was that much there, I've only seen one mag at a petco ever and it was incredible, such nice color, could not believe it was at a petco, they said an accidental order, and it was only $40, and I wanted it so bad but it was during my move a couple years ago and I wasn't even set up.
It pains me to think I have to wait a while w/ this new tank, but I guess that is an ok option for reasons mentioned, and if it's nicely colored like yours well worth the price.
Hopefully yours is healthy enough it does not require treatment, but even still a nice score either way.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 01/01/2017, 09:32 PM   #8
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Hopefully yours is healthy enough it does not require treatment, but even still a nice score either way.
I already started Cirpo. It was expelling Zoox at the store but was still in decent enough shape for me to get it.
I was somewhat surprised as well as most of the ones I had seen before were $50-$80. I had a couple of coupons though that helped me bring the price down a little bit. Lol

Unread 01/01/2017, 09:38 PM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

Yeah I remember you hooking me up to those places selling nice ones for $50, which I thought was pretty cheap for an LFS that knows their value, and I remember last time I paid a bit more than that getting one at my local store.
Of course the fact you can order and not take it after seeing it is worth the additional right there and that one is easily worth the price you got it for, I'll have to keep that in mind when ready...months from now...

Unread 01/01/2017, 10:44 PM   #10
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Ahhh... Nice pickup indeed. I visit my PetCo once a week. All they get in is fish.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2017, 12:14 AM   #11
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Here is a video of it from earlier but after the light turned off the anemone looked very..upset. I hope it's just a temporary thing because I'd like for it to survive QT

Unread 01/02/2017, 12:24 AM   #12
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Of course the fact you can order and not take it after seeing it is worth the additional right there and that one is easily worth the price you got it for, I'll have to keep that in mind when ready...months from now...
Right. If we did that with a mom and pop shop they'd black list us forever.
It's not something I'd want to do to them...and me LOL
On the other hand Petco aquatics departments encourage you to special order without putting too much pressure to buy their livestock. It's a policy that often gets overlooked given the chain's poor record in saltwater husbandry.

Unread 01/02/2017, 08:58 PM   #13
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

The mag looked extremely sad last night. I wasn't sure it was going to make it through the night. But it did ok today.

Unread 01/02/2017, 10:57 PM   #14
worm5406

So basically you are only one day into cipro so far. Looking great!

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
Unread 01/03/2017, 09:57 AM   #15
Gig 'em
Registered Member

I think a large shipment of these mags came in from Sri Lanka in December. I got one just like this from Quality Marine and treated it for a week in cipro. It actually started looking worse after day 5 in cipro and I started using water from my DT for water changes. It really responded well when I started giving it conditioned water changes and I put it in a well cycles QT tank on day 8 and it made a complete recovery after that. I don't know if yours will react the same, but my guess is they are from the same place and genetically similar so maybe you'll have luck like I did.

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 10:21 AM   #16
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
It actually started looking worse after day 5 in cipro and I started using water from my DT for water changes. It really responded well when I started giving it conditioned water changes and I put it in a well cycles QT tank on day 8 and it made a complete recovery after that. I don't know if yours will react the same, but my guess is they are from the same place and genetically similar so maybe you'll have luck like I did.
Nice. Do you have a pic of yours you can post?
I too have been using water from DT. It was all DT water to start Cirpo and yesterday for my first water change it was 70% DT and 30% NSW.
The mag looked unhappy this morning :/

Unread 01/03/2017, 10:31 AM   #17
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I always use DT water to treat my mags. If nothing else, it eases the eventual transition to the display.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 02:19 PM   #18
worm5406

I was told that also. I did that on two Anemones that I was working on before.

Unread 01/03/2017, 02:54 PM   #19
Gig 'em
Registered Member

I have always used freshly made salt water in my treatments of mags. I hypothesize that when the anemone first comes in, it's immune system is as compromised as it will get and any bacteria in my DT water won't help the treatment process. A couple of days with freshly made salt water and then transition to conditioned tank water seems to make sense to me and has worked well.

Here's a picture of my mag at the end of treatment. It lost a lot of color, but it looks identical to yours with a purple base, green disc/tentacles, and the white tips.

Unread 01/03/2017, 04:13 PM   #20
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:

Here's a picture of my mag at the end of treatment. It lost a lot of color, but it looks identical to yours with a purple base, green disc/tentacles, and the white tips.
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Unread 01/03/2017, 04:21 PM   #21
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Here's the latest update:
I took the mag back to the store and they let me exchange it for another one.
The new mag looked one color at the store, then another color outside the store and then it looked like the previous one once I dumped it in the QT to float while the new water gets warm enough. Gig em was right. They all must have come in from one region around the same time. Here are the pics of the new one.
At the store

Outside the store

In QT

Here's the previous mag before taking it to the store

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 01/03/2017 at 04:32 PM.
Unread 01/03/2017, 04:39 PM   #22
Gig 'em
Registered Member

That's lucky that you were able to exchange it. Hopefully you'll be able to treat this one before symptoms kick in. Hopefully the other one makes some kind of miraculous turn around. Mine looked about as bad as the one you were treating earlier, gaping mouth, foot not attaching to anything. It's crazy how they can rebound when it seems like they're certainly knocking on death's door.

Unread 01/03/2017, 04:51 PM   #23
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
That's lucky that you were able to exchange it. Hopefully you'll be able to treat this one before symptoms kick in. Hopefully the other one makes some kind of miraculous turn around.
I would've treated it for a week. The trouble is I only have five 500 mg tablets of Cipro left. I hope the other mag makes it like you said.

Unread 01/03/2017, 06:26 PM   #24
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Here's the new mag. Same colors as the previous one. It's an inch or two smaller though.

Unread 01/03/2017, 06:43 PM   #25
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Hey, five 500 mg tablets should last you 10 days if you're using a 10 gallon tank!

I've found that the smaller to medium anemones are easier to treat than the larger ones. Also it looks much healthier, so you have good chances starting off.