Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2017, 07:37 PM   #1
ReefNik
Registered Member

HELP!!!!! Tested Water Nitrates Super High

Hey guys, today I got home from work and tested my water. My ph, ammonia, and nitrites are all perfect but my nitrate level spiked out of proportion within a week. It is reading 140 ppm!! Also during the week I noticed a small amount of algae growing on rocks and now the water is greenish cloudy a tad bit amd does not look good.
I am fairly new to saltwater tanks and this is my first one and love it so much.
55gallon tank
Back filters running carbon
No sump or protien skimmer(will be getting one soon)
I have a powerhead that runs the water all good
No live rock or corals just a couple of snails and 3 fish that will eventualy get sick.
I do 20% water changed once a week.
I did just out mangrove seeds in my tank today because i heard they get rid of nitrates good and I like how they look under water. Please let me know what i can do! Thank you

ReefNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 08:14 PM   #2
hegeh
Registered Member

How long has it been running? My guess not cycle properly..and did you use di water to make your water?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 08:27 PM   #3
outy
Moved On

Mangroves are not ideal for reducing nitrates.

If test kits is right, you need a 80-100% water change.

I don't know hoe much you feed but you had better cut back, or do more water changes

Me? 100% water change

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 08:33 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

To Reef Central

If the nitrite level is zero, then the reading might be correct. I agree that a new tank might have a problem like this. The snails and fish will be okay with that nitrate level, so I wouldn't worry too much yet. The protein skimmer might help a lot. How much food is going into the tank each day? I'd stop feeding for a bit here, in any case, since the water is turning green. That's a phytoplankton bloom, most likely. They aren't particularly harmful, but they are ugly.

Unread 11/15/2017, 09:46 PM   #5
ReefNik
Registered Member

Hey guys thanks for the quick feedback. My tank is about 3 months old I have cut back kn feeding but was feeding about twice a day. I do make my own water. So you think I should just take out all the water and completly start over?

Unread 11/15/2017, 09:50 PM   #6
ReefNik
Registered Member

I just use my tap water and add instaocean salt

Unread 11/15/2017, 10:30 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

I might do a series of 10-15% water changes, but I wouldn't replace all the water in one shot. The cure might be worse than the disease. If the animals all are fine, I'd see how the tank shapes up with less food going into it. How much live rock is in the tank?

Unread 11/16/2017, 04:21 AM   #8
ReefNik
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I might do a series of 10-15% water changes, but I wouldn't replace all the water in one shot. The cure might be worse than the disease. If the animals all are fine, I'd see how the tank shapes up with less food going into it. How much live rock is in the tank?

I do not have any live rock in my tank should I look into getting some for my tank will that help at all?

Unread 11/16/2017, 04:26 AM   #9
sde1500
Registered Member

You don't have any rock in your tank!?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 04:57 AM   #10
ReefNik
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
You don't have any rock in your tank!?

No I do not is this the reason I have a spike all of the sudden???

Unread 11/16/2017, 05:23 AM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefNik View Post
No I do not is this the reason I have a spike all of the sudden???
The porous rock typically used in saltwater tanks provides TONS...TONS of surface area for ammonia/nitrate reducing bacteria... Without it your bacterial populations are likely really low and you simply cannot maintain proper levels on small water changes alone..
On average you want about 1.5-2lbs of rock per gallon of water to provide sufficient surface area.. Many might start around 1lb/gallon and see how that goes..

Do you even have sand? It too (depending on how fine) will increase surface area drastically but you still likely need the rock too..

You simply are not exporting the nitrate effectively at this point and need to do something to increase the potential to export it.. Your input is far greater than your output..

Unread 11/16/2017, 05:47 AM   #12
ReefNik
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
The porous rock typically used in saltwater tanks provides TONS...TONS of surface area for ammonia/nitrate reducing bacteria... Without it your bacterial populations are likely really low and you simply cannot maintain proper levels on small water changes alone..
On average you want about 1.5-2lbs of rock per gallon of water to provide sufficient surface area.. Many might start around 1lb/gallon and see how that goes..

Do you even have sand? It too (depending on how fine) will increase surface area drastically but you still likely need the rock too..

You simply are not exporting the nitrate effectively at this point and need to do something to increase the potential to export it.. Your input is far greater than your output..
Dang! Well I am learning this is good! I have gravel for my bottom. Ok now I live on the beach in Florida can I just go take some reef rock from the ocean on a reef and put it in my tank? Also can I take sand from the beach to put in my tank and clean it before putting it in?

Unread 11/16/2017, 05:55 AM   #13
sde1500
Registered Member

Oh yea, definitely going to want sand and rock in the tank. That is the beauty of saltwater tanks, most of your filtration needs will be met with sand and rock! Now, as to taking it from the beach, I would not. The sand would be insanely dirty, oily, polluted. And the rock we tend to use is old reef rock, which is a very porous rock that is mostly thousands of years of coral skeletons. Using whatever rock you find in the water may work, it may not, I am also not sure on legality.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
Unread 11/16/2017, 06:01 AM   #14
ReefNik
Registered Member

Ya I just researched it and its illegal for people to take corals and any reef rocks but I have a commercial fish and rock harvest license so im golden to do so. Do you have any recommendations for sand to buy?

Unread 11/16/2017, 06:09 AM   #15
sde1500
Registered Member

Something like https://www.marinedepot.com/CaribSea...FISSDS-vi.html

You'll need to be careful adding it, since you already have fish. Rinse it out good first to get rid of as much dust as possible, then try using a pipe or tube to direct the sand to the bottom without it turning up dust clouds in the water.

On the topic of fish, what 3 fish do you have and why do you state they will get sick? The nitrate levels? You can do a big water change to bring that down. Also, look into a RODI unit like https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/75gpd...ef-supply.html The water quality is better using pure water.

Unread 11/16/2017, 06:28 AM   #16
ReefNik
Registered Member

Ok I might just get rid of my fish and clean my tank really good since I will be replacing a bunch of items and bottom in my tank. I dont want to stress them out and kill them. I have two lane snappers and one brown blenny running around in my tank. My friends and I have to do a run down south to gather some fish for our local fish stores to sell so I might just pick some cool angel fish and sergent majors once my tank is all settled again.
I have another question when I am doing a water change how do you make the new water neutral ph? When i test it before putting it in it is alkaline should I put soda water in it?

Unread 11/16/2017, 08:39 AM   #17
devildog999
That Guy

Adding tap water is not the best way to go. Highly recommend you get an RO/DI system and make your own water. If you do not, eventually you will have big issues.

devildog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 08:55 AM   #18
hegeh
Registered Member

If you use tap water.. it will lead to even worst issue such as algae,diatom,nitrate and so.. firs step is correct your salt mix. Live rock is all i have for my filtration as all the bacteria is in it. Also it provide a home for my fish to keep them safe and felt like home.. mind that we took them away from their home at sea. So please provide them the best you could.

Unread 11/16/2017, 05:44 PM   #19
ReefNik
Registered Member

Ok update for my tank. I do not know what the heck happend but I came home from work and now my tank is perfectly clear somehow and my nitrates are lower then they were I did not do anything to my tank.

Unread 11/16/2017, 05:48 PM   #20
mcgyvr
Registered Member

^^ such a tease

Unread 11/16/2017, 09:42 PM   #21
hegeh
Registered Member

Magic potion

Unread 11/17/2017, 09:55 AM   #22
BlueMoods
Registered Member

That sounds like possibly your tap water is loaded with phosphates, great for plants, not so good for aquariums. get an RO/DI system, or buy RODI water, do a large (70%-80%) water change, get sand and live rock in there.

You need low phosphates and, the more places bacteria can live, the better. That's what eats up the nutrients in fish poo and converts ammonia to nitrites, then nitrates and, finally gone entirely. That's the normal cycle for a tank. We rarely see much of it in testing on an established, fully cycled tank.

Mine for example, all parameters in line, ammonia always 0, nitrites always 0, nitrates 0 to 5 PPM depending on how soon after feeding I test. I don't worry if mine does spike to 10-20 PPM when adding new critters, or if something dies under the rocks where I can't get it out (rare occurrence to loose anything but, it happens now and then.) Beyond that, I'd be worried about my tank and, investigating the problem.

BlueMoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae bloom, cloudy water, nitrate levels