Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Dans85
Registered Member

Need help with LTA

Params

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 0-5
Alk-8.2
Cal-420
Mag-1350-1400

A little history, I’ve had this nem for right at 7 months, and I’ve had no issues until about 2 weeks ago. It moved into a shaded spot and continued to stay open, but lost some color. Mouth was closed, and it ate just fine. Fast forward to three days ago, it closed up and I started seeing white web like mucus coming from the tentacles along with my skimmer going bananas. It has since moved back out into the light and is in a higher flow area. It has opened back up, not fully, and I’m still seeing mucus. It’s mouth is slightly open, but not gaping. It’s foot is still firmly attached. Also at night it will close almost completely and will stretch out to be about 7-8 inches tall. I’m a little confused on what to do here.... I’m trying to get some pics to upload, as soon as I have them I’ll post them.

Last edited by Dans85; 11/18/2017 at 02:23 PM.
Dans85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 01:13 AM   #2
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Oh, darn, those little glass babies are not easy on the nerves of us humans trying to host them.

I think that what you are seeing with this might be a rise in phosphates?

That can trigger these reactions as the Nem will risk getting too much algae as the algae encounters increased phosphates and the algae can kill the Nem if it doesn't get rid of it to rebalance itself.

In case phosphates might be the cause, I can suggest that you buy a carbon liquid made for the use in aquariums (it can also be done with vinegar and vodka mixes but I prefer the lab-stuff) and dose that to keep the phosphates from building over time.

I got my LTA really upset the other day because some reef cement glue stuff got into the water and it acted out for about a week before having cleaned all of its inside and getting back into its normal everyday.

The Nem should be able to balance itself if you keep following it's needs closely and fix anything that might have provoked it to "feel" bad all of a sudden.

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 01:24 AM   #3
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

(people online often ask, how to tell when sea anemones are actually dead?)

If the >outer surface/skin< of it is coming apart, then it is dead and decaying.

And although they still move at that point, it is releasing all its stinging cells, into the water column.

It should then be immediately removed from all other livestock.

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote