Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2019, 11:03 AM   #1
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Can ich transfer this way

So if I have a qt with ich undergoing hypo
And I check salinity daily with my hanna digital probe..then decide I wanna check my DT salinity or make saltwater am I in danger of transferring ich to DT?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 11:11 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

Not as long as the transfer of any possibly contaminated water is in one way only. You should be using separate syringes or whatever to get your samples and then discarding any leftover rather than return it to a (any) tank.

Did that make sense? I've been in the woodshop creating zebrawood corner moldings for a vanity and my brain is a little mushy.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 11:14 AM   #3
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Not as long as the transfer of any possibly contaminated water is in one way only. You should be using separate syringes or whatever to get your samples and then discarding any leftover rather than return it to a (any) tank.

Did that make sense? I've been in the woodshop creating zebrawood corner moldings for a vanity and my brain is a little mushy.
I use hana salinity checker and dip into water and it will definately be dry by the time I make saltwater etc..so it's not like I'll dip into qt then dip into DT immediately

Unread 05/26/2019, 12:41 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

Ich cysts can possible survive at least a short while out of water. I would suggest using another method to use your checker. Get yourself a few small containers - I use specimen vials, although even a disposable dixie cup would work and mark them so that you use the same one each time for that tank.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
Unread 05/26/2019, 02:04 PM   #5
HumbleFish
Moved On

Is this what you're using? https://hannainst.com/marine-salinit...r-hi98319.html

If so, it looks like you have to immerse the bottom part in water in order to test salinity (like a handheld TDS meter). It is a very bad idea to also use this on your DT without sterilizing it first. There are hypo resistant strains of Cryptocaryon, and also diseases which hypo doesn't treat (e.g. velvet, brook, uronema) which could be active in the QT water.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 02:28 PM   #6
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
Is this what you're using? https://hannainst.com/marine-salinit...r-hi98319.html

If so, it looks like you have to immerse the bottom part in water in order to test salinity (like a handheld TDS meter). It is a very bad idea to also use this on your DT without sterilizing it first. There are hypo resistant strains of Cryptocaryon, and also diseases which hypo doesn't treat (e.g. velvet, brook, uronema) which could be active in the QT water.
Yes that's it..how would I sterilize it?

Unread 05/26/2019, 03:48 PM   #7
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
Yes that's it..how would I sterilize it?
Dip it in a mild bleach:water (1:10) solution, rinse with RODI and let it dry with a fan blowing on it for 24 hrs.

Probably easier to just buy a second probe for your DT and water change station.

Unread 05/26/2019, 03:55 PM   #8
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Dip it in a mild bleach:water (1:10) solution, rinse with RODI and let it dry with a fan blowing on it for 24 hrs.

Probably easier to just buy a second probe for your DT and water change station.
Nah that probe ain't cheap... I hope bleach wont damage probe..I may notify manufacture and see if it's ok to dip in bleach...so even if its dry for like 4 days the ich could be il an issue? I almost doubt that

Unread 05/26/2019, 04:21 PM   #9
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nah that probe ain't cheap... I hope bleach wont damage probe..I may notify manufacture and see if it's ok to dip in bleach...so even if its dry for like 4 days the ich could be il an issue? I almost doubt that

If its dry for 4 days no it isnt an issue, use some common sense...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2019, 04:28 PM   #10
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
~ 72 hours worth of drying time is the rule for TTM, so I'd say the same applies to your probe if using drying only for sterilisation.

Unread 05/26/2019, 04:29 PM   #11
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pslreefer View Post
If its dry for 4 days no it isnt an issue, use some common sense...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
This guy! Roll eyes

Unread 05/26/2019, 04:33 PM   #12
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
~ 72 hours worth of drying time is the rule for TTM, so I'd say the same applies to your probe if using drying only for sterilisation.
Thx humble

Unread 05/26/2019, 05:54 PM   #13
Systemwizardinc
Registered Member

i have read everyone's post and if you leave it dry for 72hr every thing will be fine ich cant leave out of water

Systemwizardinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 04:52 AM   #14
jjencek
Registered Member

I do not know the Hanna checkers, but can you just get a cup of water out of each of the tanks when measuring it and not return it back to the tank?

Even if the checker is contaminated and the water in the cups is contaminated, as long as you are not returning anything back to the tanks, shouldn't you be fine?

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 06:46 AM   #15
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjencek View Post
I do not know the Hanna checkers, but can you just get a cup of water out of each of the tanks when measuring it and not return it back to the tank?

Even if the checker is contaminated and the water in the cups is contaminated, as long as you are not returning anything back to the tanks, shouldn't you be fine?

^^^This^^^

But maybe that's too easy???

Unread 05/27/2019, 08:00 AM   #16
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjencek View Post

^^ Yup, sometimes we overlook the obvious.

Unread 05/31/2019, 12:49 PM   #17
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
TTM requires the fish be in the same tank 72 hours, but only requires 24 off dry time. (time the equipment is dry)

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2019, 02:33 PM   #18
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
TTM requires the fish be in the same tank 72 hours, but only requires 24 off dry time. (time the equipment is dry)
Whenever I perform a transfer, I immediately sanitize the tank + equipment with vinegar and begin the drying process (with the aid of a fan) for as long as possible before the next transfer. You'd be surprised the harsh conditions that Ich tomonts can survive. I would only trust a 24 hour dry off time if using bleach to sterilize.

Unread 05/31/2019, 03:22 PM   #19
ThRoewer
Registered Member

All my TTM equipment, including the acrylic containers I use for TTM, goes into a bucket with bleach for at least a day and is then rinsed well. I usually don't bother drying it.

I check my salinity with a handheld refractometer (I actually trust that more than the digital toys they sell for hobbyists) and usually just wipe it dry. When in doubt I use a pipette or other means to transfer a drop of the water to test on it.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote