Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2010, 10:55 PM   #1
ÂN‡h¤Ñ¥
Registered Member

controller help

hey everyone I have a nanocube HQI and was just beginning to look into controllers for my tank. I dont know to much about them or how to hook them up to a tank. If anyone can give me some info on them in general or recommend a good beginner controller it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

ÂN‡h¤Ñ¥ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2010, 12:46 AM   #2
justurmom
Registered Member

what is it that you are expecting out of a controller?

justurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Midnightsun
Registered Member

Don't have one yet but have done a lot of research. Will be getting this in the plus model.

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKL

Midnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2010, 10:20 AM   #4
ÂN‡h¤Ñ¥
Registered Member

I was also looking at the reefkeeper lite

Im just looking for something that would maybe take temp, some other params if possible, control my lights, something like that.

what am I able to do with the reefkeeper lite? im kind of confused with what it comes with and what I need to buy seperately.

Unread 01/24/2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Midnightsun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÂN‡h¤Ñ¥ View Post
I was also looking at the reefkeeper lite

Im just looking for something that would maybe take temp, some other params if possible, control my lights, something like that.

what am I able to do with the reefkeeper lite? im kind of confused with what it comes with and what I need to buy seperately.
The reef keeper lite does just about everything you would want including alarms, temperature, light timing,

Protection such as setting a high temp alarm to shut down the electric socket which controls the heater in case it failed in the on position which would sound to tell you your heater just failed. Using a second heater set at a slightly higher temp than the first but lower than the max set as alarm would guarantee you will never over heat or under heat while away from home.

The plus kit includes probes for ph and temp. There are so many parameters it's mind boggling. My 28G JBJ Led has 3 light cords. dawn/dush/, day, night. I can plug in all three and set times for each one as I please. You can even go as far as getting the "net" module which can snd you an email or text message to your phone to signal an alarm or just check up on all the parameters.

Read up on the link I posted above.

Midnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2010, 11:51 AM   #6
ÂN‡h¤Ñ¥
Registered Member

So do the temperature timers and wavemakers all come within the system or you need to buy the probes separately. I'm just still a little confused on what can be added and what I need to add let's say a ph probe and a salinity probe. Do those take up 2 out of the 4 or something slots?

Thanks for all the help

Unread 01/24/2010, 02:47 PM   #7
justurmom
Registered Member

I think I know exactly what you are confused about. I had the exact same issue. SO here is a description. The Reefkeeper lite module (the actual system) controlls everythign. however, you can't really do much with only that. The DC4 or 8 will be the outlet in which you will be plugging in either lights, powerheads and such for controlling lighting or wavemakers. The temperature probe you can just plug and play into the system. HOWEVER, the pH, Orp, and even salinity can only be measured if you get the SL1 or 2 module. This module will let you do these, but withotu them, the most you can do is measure temp, lighting, powerheads and other outlet plugged equips.

Like you said you wanted to controll other params, then taht would be Ph, salinity or Orp. Then i suggest getting the plus since it comes witha free pH probe. Teh salinity can only be done with the new and upgraded SL2 module.

hope this helps.

Unread 01/24/2010, 05:59 PM   #8
ÂN‡h¤Ñ¥
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justurmom View Post
I think I know exactly what you are confused about. I had the exact same issue. SO here is a description. The Reefkeeper lite module (the actual system) controlls everythign. however, you can't really do much with only that. The DC4 or 8 will be the outlet in which you will be plugging in either lights, powerheads and such for controlling lighting or wavemakers. The temperature probe you can just plug and play into the system. HOWEVER, the pH, Orp, and even salinity can only be measured if you get the SL1 or 2 module. This module will let you do these, but withotu them, the most you can do is measure temp, lighting, powerheads and other outlet plugged equips.

Like you said you wanted to controll other params, then taht would be Ph, salinity or Orp. Then i suggest getting the plus since it comes witha free pH probe. Teh salinity can only be done with the new and upgraded SL2 module.

hope this helps.
Yea it helps clear things up a lot thanks!

Unread 01/24/2010, 06:38 PM   #9
ÂN‡h¤Ñ¥
Registered Member

also what would you need orp for??

Unread 01/26/2010, 02:21 AM   #10
justurmom
Registered Member

sorry i forgot this thread. well i hope this helps also. I'm not the most bright person to talk about Orp but i believe it has to do with the death of fish and such in the tank. It measures a qqwuality of the water that has to do with deaths of fish and living things.

IMO, i don't think it's very much needed.