Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2018, 03:05 AM   #1
Indeco
Registered Member

Flukes in DT! Need advice

I believe my DT is currently under the invasion of flukes as I'm seeing more and more fishes started to scratch on the sand.

I have been feeding medicated food (API general cure + Seachem focus) for the past 5 days, but i don't see any improvement.

Should I continue to feed the fish by increasing the doses? Currently I using 2 scoop of API GC + 2 scoop of focus for 2 days of food.

I understand I can dose Prazi pro directly into DT, but I'm afraid of adverse effect. My tank is currently FOWLR + a few invertebrate.

Your advise is appreciated!

Indeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 08:11 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

There is no reason to not does prazi into the display, especially if the tank is fowlr.

Or if you feel like catching the fishes, you can let the tank go fallow while you treat in a hospital tank.

Are you sure that it's flukes and not ich, etc? Flukes will fall off during a fw dip.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 08:39 AM   #3
Indeco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
There is no reason to not does prazi into the display, especially if the tank is fowlr.

Or if you feel like catching the fishes, you can let the tank go fallow while you treat in a hospital tank.

Are you sure that it's flukes and not ich, etc? Flukes will fall off during a fw dip.
My worry is does prazi into the tank will kill all the worms & feather duster which will cause a ammonia spike?

I didn't saw any visible white spot on the fish, they have been scratching for at least 2 weeks.

I did an FW dip for 1 fish and saw some transparent bug after the dip.

Unread 11/22/2018, 08:53 AM   #4
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indeco View Post
I did an FW dip for 1 fish and saw some transparent bug after the dip.
If the fish had flukes, they should turn white once exposed to FW and look like sesame seeds:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1459813183075.jpg (30.1 KB, 30 views)
HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Indeco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
If the fish had flukes, they should turn white once exposed to FW and look like sesame seeds:
Nope, it don't look like this.

If this is the case, are you able to advise any possible cause the fishes are scratching on the sand/rock?

I don't see any visible white spot on their bodies.

I have been feeding my tank medicated food (API GC + Seachem Focus) for past 9 days, but the scratching is still on going.

Unread 11/23/2018, 09:41 AM   #6
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
If this is the case, are you able to advise any possible cause the fishes are scratching on the sand/rock?

I don't see any visible white spot on their bodies.
Could be ich or velvet. Both will typically afflict the gills first, so white spots may not be visible on the skin. Especially with wrasses, clownfish and other species with a thick mucous coat. Do you have any tangs, angels or other fish with a thin slime coat layer??

Unread 11/23/2018, 11:13 PM   #7
Indeco
Registered Member

Quote:
Could be ich or velvet. Both will typically afflict the gills first, so white spots may not be visible on the skin. Especially with wrasses, clownfish and other species with a thick mucous coat. Do you have any tangs, angels or other fish with a thin slime coat layer??
I just brought 2 blue tang but they are still under quarantine.

I not sure which fish is having thin slim coat, below are my current list.

Fire Goby
Yellow Clown Goby
Bi Colour blenny
Snowflake clown
True pecula clown
Yellow coris wrasse
Blue eye anthias
Cleaner shrimp
Nassarius snail

Unread 11/24/2018, 09:07 AM   #8
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Yellow Clown Goby
Bi Colour blenny
Snowflake clown
True pecula clown
Yellow coris wrasse
Blue eye anthias
Unfortunately, none of those species may show visible physical symptoms (white dots) of ich/velvet. You may see behavioral symptoms only: Scratching, flashing, head twitching, swimming into the flow of a power head, etc.

Unread 11/24/2018, 10:03 AM   #9
Indeco
Registered Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, none of those species may show visible physical symptoms (white dots) of ich/velvet. You may see behavioral symptoms only: Scratching, flashing, head twitching, swimming into the flow of a power head, etc.
OMG then what should I do? Continue my food medication or?

Unread 11/24/2018, 08:54 PM   #10
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
OMG then what should I do? Continue my food medication or?
I probably wouldn’t do anything until you have more evidence of exactly which disease is plaguing your fish. One strategy is to drip acclimate (over 2-3 days) some freshwater black mollies to match the SG of your DT. Mollies have no immunity to saltwater diseases, so this makes them excellent “canary fish”.

Unread 11/24/2018, 11:07 PM   #11
Indeco
Registered Member

Quote:
I probably wouldn’t do anything until you have more evidence of exactly which disease is plaguing your fish. One strategy is to drip acclimate (over 2-3 days) some freshwater black mollies to match the SG of your DT. Mollies have no immunity to saltwater diseases, so this makes them excellent “canary fish”.
ok got it, so the diseases reflect on the mollies will be the diseases that my tank is facing now.

I will use this as my last resort.

My LFS recommended the below item for me to try out.

Unread 11/26/2018, 08:38 AM   #12
nereefpat
Registered Member

Aqua-Crobes will do nothing for ich, velvet, flukes....

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote